Why do you tent camp? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Why do you tent camp?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Why do you tent camp?
I can't afford a camper (or at least not yet)? 12 23.53%
I enjoy being one with nature... with only a layer of nylon between me and the wilderness! 31 60.78%
I camp in places that a camper could NEVER get to! 18 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

Default Why do you tent camp?

Hey all!

Maybe it is just to make sure I am not completely crazy.... altough we all know I am at least a little crazy... but I wanted to see if I could get some answers from my tent camping sisters/brothers.

Be honest!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

There's just something about setting up my tent and campsite that I enjoy. A bit more work than a TT but that's OK by me. I've had my camp up and ready a quick as a few PUP campers on several occasions. Tenter's just need to be a little more prepared in case of bad weather but I can deal with that.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Camping Guru

I just wish there were more of us tent campers!!!!

A part of me REALLY wants a pop-up or a travel trailer... but it is the same part of me that want to take cruises to the Bahamas or buy the 2009 Camaro!!!! Champaign taste on a beer budget.

Even thought it takes more time to set up, it suits my budget perfectly!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 PM

I, definately, have mixed emotions about camping in a tent or a camper. Tenting is all I know. There are two possible old campers that I'm looking at, and coincidentally, they both have had there "guts" ripped out of them. It would cost a couple thousand dollars to re-install a kitchen and bathroom. Plus all the labor. It's just too much for such old campers.

I have, what I believe, to be the perfect compromise. A rainproof tent on wheels. As I've said in another thread, it would be just like a tent inside...just sleeping quarters. All of the fun is outdoors anyways, right?

These small, old campers are very cheap. A couple to a few hundred $$, and your in business. Maybe I'll start my own rv business. I'll call it Shell Campers, cause that's all you have...a shell! With this economy, they just might sell. Okay, back to reality.

Even these stripped campers are convenient. Convenient in the sense that there is no tent to set up, no air mattress' to blow up, no making the beds, no hauling in all your clothes etcetera. The outdoor kitchen still needs to be set up, but, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Alright, I've babbled enough...next...
Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Tent camping is not all I have done, but I grew up with it, and just really enjoy it. Dont get me wrong, I love the nice campers and 5th wheels too. I feel like I am in the middle of the wild when I tent camp, at least much closer to nature. Giving up all the luxuries I have at home. Listening to the night sounds, hearing the fire crackling in the backgroud, hearing the noisy neighbors, its just all part of it to me.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

I have camped in travel trailers. But always went back to tents because I like to go off the beaten path know that I have a cot tent. To keep me off the ground .
Old 03-10-2009, 01:52 PM

I grew up tent camping although my parents did own a pop up for a short time. For us, the tent is for sleeping only. I don't allow the kids to play in it. Often the kids wake up and don't step foot back inside the tent until bedtime. The same goes for my husband. If we had a camper, I could see all 4 of them spending time inside when they should be outdoors. In addition, I don't like the idea of cooking or storing food inside our sleeping quarters.....something that would be hard to convince my husband not to do as he is looking at a fridge and stove.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:13 PM

Partly for the relaxation of being outdoors and enjoying being in nature. Partly for the fact that EVERYTHING takes longer to do, so you HAVE to sit back and relax. I really need that sometimes. Partly so I can prove to myself that I can do things. I can't seem to balance my budget, but I can make a mean foil pack! I figure eventually, I will get a pop-up or something, but I am only in my 30's now, and want to enjoy the tent as much as I can. And I REALLY like playing with fire, LOL!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:19 PM

We use the tent when we don't want to haul the travel trailer to certain areas.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

We have been camping ala-tent for many years.We camp to get away,not to take it with us.We have gotten our system down to being able to leave home with in a few minutes if we get that(urge).Being out doors to us means hearing birds wake us up at dawn,crickets sing us to sleep at night.We camp right beside a river and can hear the fish jumping as the sun comes up.
Our seven year old daughter asked us last year a very good question as we were tending our fire one night.She cuddled up to her dad in his chair and sighed loudly."Dad?" she asked."That trailer over there?"she pointed a couple of spaces away."Yes hun what about it?"he answered."I saw two kids there when they came in.They sat and played video games on the table while the mom and dad set up."she said."While you and i were fishing,and mom was cooking they never moved."she said.
You and Mom took me for a walk and played games with me,and we read books under that tree by the river."She said quietly."Yes hunny?"My husband smiled at me.He knew what was coming."And now its dark and we are sitting by a nice warm fire and making smores and its so quiet and nice out here."She sighed."Sure is hunny"He said holding her closer."Now they are in that trailer watching TV and making all kinds of noise"She said looking up at her Dad."Why would they come out here if they didnt want to have fun?"
I sat there and watched as my husband smiled and looked at the stars holding our daughter snuggled on his lap.And he said something to her that i thought summed up why we tent camp and show her the simple way of life."Sweetheart some people just dont know how to just relax together and breath."He said.Mom and i bring you out here to get to know you and you to know us better.And teach you that life can be quiet and happy with out all that (STUFF) at home."He said softly."And besides,he hugged her more,We would miss the shooting stars for you to wish on."He laughed softly.She reached up and kissed his cheek and said "Love you Dad."
Thats why we tent camp...
Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 AM

I really enjoy tenting. You can leave on a moments notice and throw your stuff in your car and just go. Besides I don't mind roughing it without electricity. I usually go to different state campgrounds, where there are some creature comforts of hot showers and bathrooms, lol. I guess you can call me a tenter not camper lol!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin View Post
I, definately, have mixed emotions about camping in a tent or a camper. Tenting is all I know. There are two possible old campers that I'm looking at, and coincidentally, they both have had there "guts" ripped out of them. It would cost a couple thousand dollars to re-install a kitchen and bathroom. Plus all the labor. It's just too much for such old campers.
There IS another alternative; I'm using it.

I worked out a 14' trailer from Pace as part of my agreement to return to a consulting job back in 2001. It was about $3,000. You might not think that's much space, but it works out: you get to leave out all the 'crud' of the usual RV's.

Mine has a kind of 'closet' with the usual fridge, microwave bay and batteries. But it also has a built-in computer, a full-sized computer workstation, a QUEEN sized bed, and a shower that's 3ft by 4.5ft.

The furnace is controlled by the onboard computer, it's also the security system. A camera on it will record when I'm in or out, because I expect I'll be traveling alone most of the time. And rather than windows that lose heat and attract bandits, I'll use cameras for that, too.

There's no rules on a cargo trailer; it's literally whatever you want to make it. Take a peek: Photo Gallery: The CounterMoon

Enjoy!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:41 PM

That trailer looks great Wheeldweller. A true custom job. Does the $3000 cover the trailer and all of the custom work and materials? Seems like it should cost a lot more.
Die hard tenters will disagree, but I believe that I have the perfect tenting compromise. I finally got a dirt cheap, 1950's Alma, 15' camper in my back yard, stripping it down to it's shell. I'll customize it for our camping needs. It will be a towable bedroom plus some small kitchen electrical appliances. NO PLUMBING. The sink(kitchen) will be outdoors with the grill and table. To me, it will be the best camper possible without plumbing. No need to blow up the air mattress', make the beds, set up the tent, move and organize all the clothes etcetera. I'm already looking for more older campers to do this to. Unlike the one that I have now, if I find one worth keeping the bathroom and sink, I probably will. The one that I have now just had a sink but it wasn't plumbed. To me, it's not worth having plumbing if there isn't a bathroom with it.
It's an aluminum tent with some electrical convenieces...no tvs...just a frig, toaster.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
That trailer looks great Wheeldweller. A true custom job. Does the $3000 cover the trailer and all of the custom work and materials? Seems like it should cost a lot more.
Yeah, the _hull_ was $3k, the rest was a little more, but not much. The computers are refurbished, the software's Linux, the wood is new, and so was the 'upholstery'. That's navy blue vinyl covering the ply for a warm, comfortable and clean interior. In my case, I'm trying to catch a slice of modernity from the rest, and take it with me, wrapped in an unassuming shell of a cargo trailer. But that's just my personal trek.

Quote:
Die hard tenters will disagree, but I believe that I have the perfect tenting compromise. I finally got a dirt cheap, 1950's Alma, 15' camper in my back yard, stripping it down to it's shell. I'll customize it for our camping needs. It will be a towable bedroom plus some small kitchen electrical appliances. NO PLUMBING. The sink(kitchen) will be outdoors with the grill and table. To me, it will be the best camper possible without plumbing. No need to blow up the air mattress', make the beds, set up the tent, move and organize all the clothes etcetera. I'm already looking for more older campers to do this to. Unlike the one that I have now, if I find one worth keeping the bathroom and sink, I probably will. The one that I have now just had a sink but it wasn't plumbed. To me, it's not worth having plumbing if there isn't a bathroom with it.
It's an aluminum tent with some electrical convenieces...no tvs...just a frig, toaster.
Well, see? You're pretty much on the same track; I've seen some _really_nice_ re-converted Airstreams, for example. It's about finding a 'hull' you can live with, and customizing the interior to your own tastes. So many times the durned RV places just are too 'cookie cutter', ya know?

And no, it's not odd or weird to leave out everything with a power cord: this isn't my RV, it's yours- that's what makes it great! GoodOnYa!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Camper

I tent camp because I love the outdoors. Tent camping gets you to enjoy the outdoors. I live in Oregon were it rains once in awhile. I have been camping in the rain with no problem. I grew up tent camping then my partents got an RV. We still spent our time outside the RV. Then when I moved away I went back to tent camping. I feel more in touch with nature and the beauty that is around you. I have seen RVers hide in there RV's after the sun went down while I was enjoying the campfire and S'mores :-)