winter tent camping - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

winter tent camping

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default winter tent camping

does anyone tant camp in the winter time ? My son in from iraq and wants to go with me on a 3 day camp/hunt trip. the temp. will be low 18 high 35 . man this is going to be fun .Havent seen him much in the past 5 years. We leave in the morning . talk to you all soon .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM
_
Camper Type: None

I've tent camped when it got to about 10 degrees. Just make sure you have plenty of layers. Even though we were in a big cabin tent at the time, me and the Mrs. had 4 sleeping bags - mated 2 and stuffed them inside the other 2 mated, wore thermal undies and thermal socks with stocking hats, and we were fine (even on top of a big air mattress). The other couple sharing the tent disappeared in the night to find a hotel - all they had was a foam pad (like the eggshell crate) and a quilt (and the wife was 4 months pregnant at the time).

Me and my 2 cub scouts will be in one tomorrow (supposed to get to 25-26). I figured I will take the heavy duty sleeping bag and get in the middle, and let them have 2 bags each, then layer on some blankets.

Be sure to keep your head warm - that's half the battle.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default winter tent camping

Sounds like a fun time, pack warm! Are you expecting snow as well, or just cold weather?

I have heard for tent camping in cold weather don't wear anything cotton when going to bed. Cotton supposedly will absorb moisture and retain it and take away your heat.

Good luck and let us know how it goes when you get back.

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2008, 08:06 AM

I guess I am a wimp..its 10 degrees up here.Is your son from Iraq or was he deployed there?Good luck,early settlers had to brave so much cold weather God Bless Them!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:06 PM

Actually, being raised in upstate NY, I kind of developed an aversion to extreme heat and humidity. So summer is when I hibernate. Fall and winter mean camping for me! The trick to sleeping warm is three things...
#1 Make sure your air mattress is a good one and won't deflate on you in the middle of the night, leaving you against the cold earth.
#2 THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT, Place a thick blanket between the air mattress and the earth, because the cold ground will simply cool the air in the mattress too.
#3 And finally...the proper sleeping bag for the temperature.
There are many other factors for comfort in cold weather camping. A nice big wife or sleeping partner generates more heat. Or I'm sure you've heard the term, "Three Dog Night". Clothing plays a large part, Location as well (is the ground sand, grassland, clay, rock, etc). I love winter camping. There is nothing like stirring that fire in the morning and getting a fresh pot of coffee percolating over the camp fire. And when the smell of eggs and bacon hit the cold air around camp, the coffee is stout, and the fire is roaring again....well, that's livin' people! Then it's time to get dressed. lol.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

He was deployed there. We just got back what a blast. Our new cot tents worked great. I never slept so good with it being that cold . got a little snow not very much just a dusting .
Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 AM
_
Camper Type: None

Ended up just being me and the 9 year old Saturday night. We had Therm-a-rest mattresses, doubled sleeping bags topped by 3 blankets, wearing thermals and toboggans. Turns out my kid had left his sweatshirt and pants on - that's a no-no - you're actually warmer (if the bag is rated enough) in less clothes.

He moves around too much in his sleep, so I was constantly putting his hat back on, putting him back in his bags and covering with the blankets. That's twice I've taken this particular tent when it's cold - and it obviously retains too much moisture from our breath. I'll dig out the old smelly tent next time - it stinks (really stinks ), is cramped, but we stay dry and warm in it.

I could take one of our bigger tents, but they're overkill for a one nighter.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 PM

This brings back memories from Boy Scouts. We didn't use tents, we made a lean to and used that. It has a ground cloth, straw and another ground cloth. I remember my mom sewing blankets to the inside of my sleeping bag. We also placed the fire close to the lean to, to help with heat.

I have thought about this with a tent and have the dumbest question. How do you get the stakes put in?