protection - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

protection

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 05:41 AM

Default protection

This fall I will be camping alone quite a bit. I like to backpack up into the mountains. I am trying to think of a way to safeguard the area just around my small tent, from animals (man or beast). I thought about having some rolls of felt, say about 2 feet wide, and just lay these in some grass full of stickers. We have some ferocious stickers in Oklahoma. Then I could just fold them over, and roll them up for storage. When camping I could open them and lay the strips around the perimeter of my tent at night. We have many wild and vicious animals here that attack; cougars, black bear, coyotes, and wild hogs. The latter will attack in packs and have been known to kill people. The weigh around 500 pounds and can bite your head clean off. I would hate to be sleeping on the ground when one entered my camp site. Stickers wouldn't stop a hoofed hog. Or a boot wearing good ol boy either. Anybody have any suggestions. I do carry a rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 AM

You are a brave soul! The only thing we have here is coyotes and my worst fear while camping is if I got all the food and trash in so the raccoons don't make a mess. I don't really have any ideas but the rifle sounds like a step in the right direction to me.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Yeah same here. The only things we have to worry about really are coyotes and snakes. No bears or anything of that nature. Sounds like where you go takes camping to a whole new level

Rifle is a must, and I know I would also be snuggling with my best friend, smith and wesson as a backup.

Short of putting up some razor wire ,the felt with thorns/stickers sounds like a good idea. I would think that would definitely help warn you of an animal intruder.

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 PM

My friends have decided this is a brilliant idea. They further suggest some kind of scent deterent. I am going to add a S&W .44 Mag to the camp checklist. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but there are a couple of reasons to be concerned, other than being torn to pieces and eaten by wild animals. In this area of the country, some of the most prolific serial killers in the country have been born and raised. And a couple are still active. Just a few miles north, two little girls were mailiciously gunned down on a country road. A few miles south, the highway killer still abducts and murders hotel night clerks. Children are abducted right from their own bedrooms here and never seen again. And not long ago, one little girl was abducted from her tent when the killer simply cut a a hole in it and ripped her from her sisters tent. And then, there is the "good ol boy" factor. These freaks of unnatural inbreeding roam about in the secluded areas of the state, and people wind up missing all the time. I think they are turning up in some remote delapidated kitchen as sausage. Oklahoma has a huge wilderness area where people wander into and are never seen again. There are even Bigfoot festivals in these areas, and the creature is seen all of the time in these areas (so they say).

Yep...Oklahoma offers alot to keep that blood pressure up, camping alone in the night in a remote area. So my little burglar alarm/animal repellent idea doesn't sound so ridiculous now...does it? X
Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

I am just reading this and thinking....why is it you still live there, if its that bad? Or is there some good parts too? Of course there is crime everywhere, but that doesnt sounds like somewhere I am itching to move to.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 AM

Ah Mikey, the people here are the nicest anywhere. I have literally lived almost everywhere in the lower 48, and Oklahoma has the nicest people around. You will never see a woman stranded with a flat here, because the first person to see her will pull over and fix it for her. Great people here. You won't see old men run down in the street here, and people just standing around watching like they do in other parts of the country. I watch alot of news. I think you will find, that with a little research, you would be surprised what lives in your own neighborhood, muchless the state. There are maniacs everywhere my friend. Everywhere. Only a fool leaves their doors unlocked these days. Now, I have never been very attracted to the landscape here. But some parts are very cool. I was surprised to find out that Oklahoma has more complete ecosystems than anywhere else on the contenent. You can go from marsh and swamp to forest and mountains or desert, etc. The Arbuckle mountains here have some of the oldest rocks on the planet, and the oldest meteorite was recovered just a mile or two from where I live. There's outlaw caches, spanish gold, and some of the best hunting in the country. And the fishing is off the chain. Large mouth on a top water lure...my favorite! They come clean out of the water shaking that buzz bait in their mouths! Love it. The economy here is still growing. Houses we pay $130,000 for go for 3.5 mil on the coast. The wells are still pumping oil here. The girls are cute. Gas is $3.35 a gallon. Milk is cheap, and Oklahoma City is second only to San Francisco for dining. I love it here. But I am well aware of what lays under the surface, where most aren't. I spent many years in law enforcement, and these things are just on my mind, where most just go about their lives oblivious. lol. Everybody knows they should lock their doors. But they don't really have a clue as to the horrors that can take place if they don't. Oklahoma is a fantastic state to live in...but I'd rather be in Alaska where it is really wild, and nobody for hundreds of miles. X

Last edited by xisle; 08-21-2008 at 03:20 AM..
Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 AM

Off the chain? Cute girls? Ummm...wow.

My cousin was stationed in Alaska back in the 80's. They were warned to never attempt to urinate outside because of the extreme cold. Now THAT doesn't sound like a place I'd like to camp.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Camping Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy0807 View Post
They were warned to never attempt to urinate outside because of the extreme cold. Now THAT doesn't sound like a place I'd like to camp.
You mean because its cold, or because you couldnt urinate outside? Sorry couldnt resist.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailfire99 View Post
You mean because its cold, or because you couldnt urinate outside? Sorry couldnt resist.
It was actually too cold to urinate outside...a whole new meaning to the old term of blue....objects. lol One soldier tried it when the temps were very low and the urine actually froze solid as it was exiting the urinary tract. I can't even imagine. I wasn't going to go all there, but I couldn't resist either after the comment.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM

That's a great story to tell around the fire, but it is hardly accurate. There isn't a place on the planet that will freeze warm urine solid, mid stream from the body.

Are you making fun of the way I talk?

Camp? I want to move there. I like the idea of being far removed from society, as long as prison isn't involved. lol. I would like to be far enough out where the laws of nature supercede the laws of man. I hope there's a Walmart close, though. X

Last edited by xisle; 08-22-2008 at 12:05 AM..
Old 08-22-2008, 06:57 AM

Making fun of? Hardly. Never heard a 49 year old use those words. If you say off the chain to someone around here that age, most would think you were talking about your dog being loose.

As far as the story goes, it was told to me by my cousin and it was told to him by one of the officers. It may have simply been a scare tactic used by the army to keep them from doing it. I honestly don't know.

Honestly, I hate that you feel like you have to be on the defensive with me. I'm as harmless as can be. I apologize if you misunderstood what I was saying.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 AM
_
Camper Type: None

Okay, I admit, I'm 46 and had to google "off the chain". However, I went back to read the original post, and the reason I don't remember this remark is I was able to get it from context - "the fishing is off the chain" - I didn't think they had discovered some new mono filament or anything like that.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 AM

It just stuck out to me and I found it humorous because my teenagers are always telling me I'm too old to try to talk like they do. It's a big joke between us. I tease them for being wet behind the ears and they call me an old woman. (I'm only 34.) Sometimes I'll sling in a "groovy", "far out", or "totally" to get them started. They say "off the chain", "off the hook", and "tight".

Isn't having teens an adventure? lol
Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 AM
_
Camper Type: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy0807 View Post
Isn't having teens an adventure? lol
My day is coming - my oldest is 10. Though I have 8 nieces and nephews that range from 20-35, so I've seen it all
Old 08-25-2008, 02:20 AM

I hear you. I have raised six. Just two left in the nest. I use their terms to irritate them. lol. I sometimes find myself using them elsewhere. "Snap...Sweet...Off the chain, etc". I'm not defensive..just playful. lol. No harm here. Have you noticed the word "cool" has just transcended several generations without a glitch. In any case, "off the chain" only shows to prove that our children have just as much an influence on us as we do them. Atleast in my case...after six of them. lol.