protection - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

protection

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 AM

Now that you mention it, yeah. Thinking about it, "cool" is the only word I know that has made it through a few generations.

I know exactly what you mean about irritating them. It's weird how things change with their ages. I give my 6 year old daughter a high five, my 9 year old son knocks knuckles with me, my 13 year old girl rolls her eyes at me if I try to do either, and my 16 year old son does this combo of pounding fists, knocking knuckles and a half handshake sliding your hand back quickly. I guess I am doing ok. 3 out of 4 of my kids think I'm cool. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 09:50 PM

Hahaha! That is hilarious! We should consider ourselves lucky though. I heard a skater guy the other day, and I couldn't make out a thing he said. I can live with a few colloqialisms. lol.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:45 AM

Oh I know. There are some kids that I can't understand a word they say...and I just smile and nod. lol I mean, I don't want to give them the impression that I'm not "hip" or, heaven forbid, embarrass one of my kids by not being "cool".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 01:13 PM

LOL! I'm not all THAT old, and I had no idea what Off the chain was! Thought it was some kind of dialect type slang... Off the hook, yes, off the chain... I just thank the gods for Urban dictionary.com! I think I read too much and interact not quite enough.
And Way to chicken (read urban, haha!) to go camping where I would need guns! I greatly admire your courage and foresight!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisle View Post
This fall I will be camping alone quite a bit. I like to backpack up into the mountains. I am trying to think of a way to safeguard the area just around my small tent, from animals (man or beast). I thought about having some rolls of felt, say about 2 feet wide, and just lay these in some grass full of stickers. We have some ferocious stickers in Oklahoma. Then I could just fold them over, and roll them up for storage. When camping I could open them and lay the strips around the perimeter of my tent at night. We have many wild and vicious animals here that attack; cougars, black bear, coyotes, and wild hogs. The latter will attack in packs and have been known to kill people. The weigh around 500 pounds and can bite your head clean off. I would hate to be sleeping on the ground when one entered my camp site. Stickers wouldn't stop a hoofed hog. Or a boot wearing good ol boy either. Anybody have any suggestions. I do carry a rifle.
I am not meaning to offend anyone and I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight, but am I the only one that finds this comical??
I've tent camped in remote wilderness areas of Montana for 15 years of my life and I've never had a problem with the wildlife and we have everything mentioned above except the hogs plus grizzly bears and wolves. I guess I have never really put any thought into worrying about it after growing up around it. I admit we don't have to worry about "criminals" much up here...but the animals are nothing to worry about if you keep a clean camp. I've been hiking, hunting, camping for a long time and seen alot of wildlife but the only times I've shot an animal were for the simple reason of putting it in my freezer.
Again I'm not trying to be a jerk, just wondering if I'm the only one that thinks it is common for people to overestimate the danger level of wildlife.