Do You Worry About Tent Security? - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Do You Worry About Tent Security?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 08:02 AM

Yeah, I havent ever thought about anyone coming in on us at night at the campground, but I guess it could happen. There are so many people around usually, I dont think it would be the best place for someone to do that, but....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM

I usually don't worry too much about it. None of my stuff is expensive, haha! All the food gets locked in the vehicle at night (after camping with someone else, and oops, we left the meat cooler out. Coons got it... ) I usually don't leave anything but firewood out at night. Actually, the only time anything is left out is if I am using it or getting ready to use it. I'm a bit anal about keeping things in their place... Money and what not is in the Jeep or an my person.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 AM

I have say I never really thought about thieves coming into a campground to find their bounties. But Iam it sure is possible. Came close one summer when the site next to ours had there camera (which they left on the picnic table) come up missing. Come to find out their oldest borrowed it to play with needless to say mom & dad were none to happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 10:45 AM

LOL! I think it matters, too, the campground. There are some I won't even stay at, let alone leave anything out. It's a mix of common sense and, for lack of a better way to put it, the overall feel of the place.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

We havent had anything taken in our years of camping either thank god.But we did come up with a small (and i mean small)deterent.If we are going to be away from our tent for any time we zip up and use a nylon lock strap,or wire tie if you like, on the zipper.It isnt much but then it may make them look suspicious if they are ripping up a tent to get in.Not eveyone carries side cutters with them camping and thats how we open up when we get back.Another good thing to do is make friends with the neighbors.Just like at home if you have friends around it is allways a little safer.

We have a small tag trailer that we haul the gear and tent in and all big items go in there underlock and key. Happy camping all for this year.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Camper

Our regular camp area added a new twist that we all love.The camp owners stop by every morning to check new campers,and ask to take your pic.They print them out if you are staying for a length of time.And also a pic of your camp.They drive around all day and check things out.Also go through at night.When you are leaveing (if they are around)they stop and give you the pics to remember them by.Going the extra mile is what keeps us coming back.The pics are to identify who belongs there and where.

Last edited by racecple; 11-19-2010 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: bad spelling LOL
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

in my neck of the woods,if you leave something of value in your car or truck,your window gets broken and you freeze going home,so your better off taking you camera,purse,wallet,and your beer with you.
here is a suggestion for you to try,i leave a open box of 357 ammo on my seat,and i dump about 3 or 4 bullets out on the seat,they see that and they usually think twice about taking things out of my truck.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Smile

I always think out of sight out of mind. Keep things nice and tidy inside your tent or car out of plain sight. We've also gotten tiny pad lock for the doors to our tent. Not that someone couldn't get in but, thieves like the easy fast grab. Also, when we come back to our sight, we can tell if anyone has been in our tent if lock is gone or broke. Make friends with camping neighbors and with campground staff, make yourself remember able, use their names mention the type of tent you use. That way if someone ie: not you is on your sight your neighbors will know they don't belong there.

Also, don't bring your jewelery, have cheap, costume jewelery if needed.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Locks on a tent or at a campground are like boobs on a bull - they provide a false sense of contentment, do no good and only inconvenience the owners.

If a criminal wants something of yours and you are camping, there is little you can do about it. Just like locks in a house, if a criminal wants in they'll get in.

Bank on the honesty and good will of persons who are in camping areas and you'll feel a whole lot better. If you are unfortunate and run into a criminal element, hope for the best and put it past you as quickly as possible.

For those who carry guns, that might be what a criminal wants. You just have to be able to live with whatever you put yourself up against.

Personally, I still believe hanging horse thieves but that's because I've not had to hang one yet.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Camper

I can't say I have ever had anything stolen while camping. I wouldn't stress too much about it, however I wouldn't leave anything of value laying around. Maybe hide it somewhere if you don't want to take it with you.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Camper

Ususlly the only things worth stealing that I take camping are a sidearm, and camera, they stay with me if I'm not at the campsite. Anything else, axe, food, beer, if they want it that bad, oh well. I'll recognize my axe, though, and if it smells like my grub cooking, I'll invite myself for supper.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Camper

Default Tent Security

We've been tent camping for years and never had any problems. There seems to be a code among campers in general. The problems I have at are at trailhead parking lots.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Camper

Never had a problem with anything being taken. Tent campers are an elite group, when you see someone setting up, lend a hand and become acquainted. The more die hard campers that have accumulated a lot of gear and have a tendency to watch out for other campers that are just starting out and try and protect what they have. So they have an enjoyable experience, why ruin the experience right. If you are that concerned about your stuff by all means lock it in your vehicle.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

dont take nothing with you tent camping,you dont want to loose,if you do carry it with you.
and ladys,put you clothes in trunk of car or in back of truck,especially your undies,me and the wife were tent camping,in a campground,and some one stoled all her panties,even the dirty ones.