Keeping the tent area organized? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Keeping the tent area organized?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Keeping the tent area organized?

I am looking for ways to get my "camp kitchen" area organized. We are always looking for things, cant find this, where did that go, where did I pack that!

What do you do to keep your tent area in order? Totes, boxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Camping Guru

Sometimes those totes work like the "junk drawer" in the kitchen. You root through them and still can't find what you need. They are great to keep everything together, ready to go, and to put your bread and marshmallows in once you get to the campsite so that the critters can't get them.

I like to take a little 2 foot by four foot strip of peg board. This is the board with all the little holes in it. I will thread a couple big zip ties through two holes and gently tighten the peg board to a big sturdy tree close to where I cook and prepare food. You can then put those little metal pegs into the holes and hang everything right where you can see it.

I will hang the fire starting torch, the spatula, the spoons etc on the pegs and then they are right where I can see them... without digging through a tote with a flashlight in my teeth while trying to cook mountain pies in the dark!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

There is something you may want to look into, although not as cheap as totes or bins. Cabelas has a product called campers kitchen

It may be more than you want to deal with, but would sure keep things organized.
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Default camping kitchen

I have this cool wooden box that I got at target a while back it has a bunch of drawers of different sizes I keep plastic silverware in one, napkins in one etc... It's great! I also try to buy cookware with some type of whole through the end of the handle that way I can just hang it up with a bungee or whatever to a tree or pole. If I can find a picture of my box I will post it
Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Camping Fanatic

That sounds like a good storage box mariah, would like to see a pic if you find one. That campers kitchen would be a good idea to, but it seems like it would be a lot to haul with you and setup. But it may not be that bad.

Ford Mainline
Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Camping Guru

Yeah, that sounds great Mariah, would love to see it. I may swing in Target today after work, there is one on the way home. Was it in the outdoor section, or is this something you would find in the home interior or furniture area
Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Great information everyone, thanks. I really like the looks of that campers kitchen, but I am going to see what mariah box looks like, that sounds pretty handy too
Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

We have been camping for many years and have come up with something that seems to work for us.Being a military kinda person hubby uses old ammo boxes.They are cheap and can stack beautifully.He painted them and labeled them for what is inside.As in cooking,poles,tarps,saws&axes,etc.He uses plastic tubs for edibles and with snap on lids that works for me.He built me a wooden chuck box with tupper wear size openings for flour,sugar and such.

With everything marked it is fast to refill and double check to make sure you have everything you want to take.The best thing is i never have to ask if we have anything.He keeps it all packed and ready to go when i get a whim to get out of the city.With this system he can load and go in just a few minute.The ammo boxes are wood and can be divided to handle small pieces.They are allways for sale at surplus stores.And i thought he was nuts at first but we have been through many rain storms and the stuff stays dry too.Its a guy thing i guess.
Have fun this summer campers.