Anyone know of a good air conditioner for tent camping - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Anyone know of a good air conditioner for tent camping

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Anyone know of a good air conditioner for tent camping

In the south everyone know that the humidity is outrageous. So while I am still debating spending thousands of dollars on a camper with an air conditioner, I thought I would investigate a portable air conditioner if it works. Any ideas?

I saw one here, but dont know

http://www.kooleraire.com/

Another good reason for the product review section mentioned here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

I have never seen a tent airconditioner that had a condenser on it to dehumidify the air.

They all use ice and mist to cool the tent. I don't need any more humidity... I need less!

Here is a review I read when I was looking to buy the same koolaire you mention:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9050508AAXHXum

If you camp in dry heat... they would probably be perfect!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 PM

The research you're doing for this item is what you need. I always go on-line to get the questions answered. Usually, you can find the answers you need. It does take time though. Good luck finding the right air conditioner for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 06:32 AM

I guess you could just use an old fashion window unit
Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 AM

That's what we had in our garage when we moved in here. It kept the garage cool during the summer. We have a weight set out there. The window air conditioner was perfect. It was an older model, but that didn't matter. They sell them everywhere. I've seen them listed in the paper- the want adds. You could try that.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 AM

That model that you mentioned cricket is okay for short spells but it is not made for running for long periods.

I am not really sure either about the humidity issue. I think it is jsut cooling and misting not removing the water from the air.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:08 PM

You don't want to add to the humidity problem. I know that you might have to try it and see if it works. If you end up with too much humidity, then get something else. My Grandma had a humidifier on all the time. Because we had dry air.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

About "I have never seen a tent airconditioner that had a condenser on it to dehumidify the air"
Well, if it is true, then tent air conditioner in this forum is similar like split air conditioner models.

Last edited by l2l; 04-27-2010 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Removed Advertising
Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Camper

Thanks for details. I am looking for information about these things as well.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Camper

If you have a small window unit laying around you could just use some flexible ducting and run it into your tent and bam instant cold
Old 03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Camper

Instead of an A/C, what would be a good fan for the tent? I really don't want to miss out camping time b/c of the heat/humidity in VA! I don't have a rod inside to hang a fan on...Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
In the south everyone know that the humidity is outrageous. So while I am still debating spending thousands of dollars on a camper with an air conditioner, I thought I would investigate a portable air conditioner if it works. Any ideas?

I saw one here, but dont know

http://www.kooleraire.com/

Another good reason for the product review section mentioned here....
Probably wouldnt work for a tent for the simple reason that tents breath and the fabric isn't all that good at insulating so all it would do is circulate cool air around the same way a regular old fan would.

I noticed the site doesn't have any description of how it works or diagrams of it, to me it looks like a plastic cover over an ice chest .
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefish101 View Post
If you have a small window unit laying around you could just use some flexible ducting and run it into your tent and bam instant cold
WIN! All you need is a 12volt compressor and fan and whala you have air conditioning for your tent!

Apparently this guy used to sell them.

Quote:
I used to sell them, trust me, save your pennies and buy a proper one the Koolaire product sucks. It has an effective range of only 7ft and the air is VERY clammy/humid. It's almost like a humidifier that uses cold air. For a space of that size, get a small air conditioner, you can usually pick them up for under 100 bucks.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

The best I've read about these models is from someone who advised to put a tray of ice in front of a fan before wasting money in this. They may work a little better in dry and low humidity regions, but I don't know of any 12 V AC unit in the market that works as a compressor unit.

You will be better with a small window unit. I have a 5000 BTU unit that works as "portable" for my truck camper. I install it through the camper window before nightfall (can post some pictures later).

In the meantime Check this link for a window unit installed in a camping tent. There is some advice there and a photo.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

^ that's creative, are they using an inverter\converter? (I always get the two confused)