turn the tent inside out? HUH? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

turn the tent inside out? HUH?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Default turn the tent inside out? HUH?

Okay I know I find the weirdest things to read sometimes. But here goes another of those gems I just have to shake my head in disbelief.

But before I tell the story, if I am in the wrong, please let me know - I have broad shoulders.

So I am looking around at little facts and trivia about camping to pass the time with the grandkids while making supper. And I come across what is supposed to be an expert telling an inexperienced camper what to do.

He says that after you go camping, when you get home, you should turn your tent inside out, hose it down and hang it up.

ummmm .......

1. why would I want to hose the inside of my tent?
2. doesn't throwing water all over the inside ruin the waterproofing you did on the tent when you bought it?

any takers on this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Well I did a see a show on TV once where they hosed down the tent to combat bubonic plague. A little sarcastic humor there..........

All kidding aside, I thought you were supposed to keep the inside dry as well. In fact, they tell you when it is raining not to let things touch the sides of the interior of the tent or that spot will start "leaking" water.

So I think you are not supposed to hose the inside but I like you will wait for some others to speak up.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 AM

My Dad told us that about not touching the inside of the tent. We never did touch it. It rained pretty often and we'd sit there until it let up. We had a few comics, and books to read. What do you do when it's raining?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I am not positive about this, but my guess would be that its not a good idea to water down the inside of the tent. I have heard of people washing (lightly) the inside of the tent with a non detergent soap and water solution, but you must be sure its 100% dry before storing.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 AM

I have never heard of watering down the inside of the tent before. I wonder how long it would take to dry? I am all for a clean tent though. I hate that mildew smell. Lysol or baking soda would work for odors.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace View Post
I have never heard of watering down the inside of the tent before. I wonder how long it would take to dry? I am all for a clean tent though. I hate that mildew smell. Lysol or baking soda would work for odors.
Yep, dont think I would wash down one personally.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM

No, do not wash the inside with a hose or anything, that would be bad news. You can wash it as mentioned with soap and water with a wash cloth or something like that, I think that would be ok.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:59 PM

We were talking about cleaning the tent with water. The least amount of water should be used. Some places you visit like Florida - it has moist air. It's humid most of the time. But like in India when I visited in May it was hot. Not like out heat here. It was dry air and very hot.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Default washing the tent

THAT IS COOKY! I would NEVER hose down the inside of my tent....my grandpa taught me well, "never mess with the inside your tent"