What do you want in a tent? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

What do you want in a tent?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default What do you want in a tent?

Hello!
So I am looking into designing new tent for my senior thesis as an industrial designer. I thought they best way to get the best design is to ask all of the campers here to see what they really want in their tent!

My question is, What features do you love about your tent and what do you dislike?? If you could design your tent what would you want the most??

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily216 View Post
Hello!
I thought they best way to get the best design is to ask all of the campers here to see what they really want in their tent!
Milla Jovovich...

The rest I'll have to think about when I get back from camping Weds. I'm testing out a new tent.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaun View Post
First, they arrive near sunset after hours of driving. They fumble around to put up their tent in the dark, but it's missing parts.
Second, they didn't bring water or the right food. There's no supermarket nearby, so they go to bed hungry and thirsty.
Third, they realized didn't bring items to get a good night sleep. They sleep on a cold and damp tent floor with just a light blanket cover.
Last, they didn't bring items to stay comfortable on the trip.
The OP is asking about the tent specifically, not camping in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaun View Post
First, they arrive near sunset after hours of driving. They fumble around to put up their tent in the dark, but it's missing parts.
Second, they didn't bring water or the right food. There's no supermarket nearby, so they go to bed hungry and thirsty.
Third, they realized didn't bring items to get a good night sleep. They sleep on a cold and damp tent floor with just a light blanket cover.
Last, they didn't bring items to stay comfortable on the trip.
Hey! Thanks for the insight!! I have actually thought about the uncomfortable sleeping when people either forget what they need or dont have it!! How would you feel about having a built-in air mattress? That is an idea I came upon recently...
Old 02-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default re: tent design

emily:
I use a backpacker tent, since I am a motorcyclist camper. I use a Coleman Cobra, which is small packed up, and large enough to be comfortable. If your design ideas include smaller tents, a bit more height when set up would be a plus, mine is only 38 inches floor to ceiling, makes getting dressed an adventure sometimes when I cannot climb out due to crowds. Also, a bit more wall storage, i.e., pockets would be nice. The cobra has a rather unique "pole system" as in only one, but perhaps on the style of a bivvie, which the Cobra is sort of, a long longitudinal pole and the cross pole at the highest point would add stability, plus make is easier to set up in a hurry.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Chopper; 02-04-2012 at 06:04 AM..
Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

As I said above, I tested a new tent on Tuesdsay. It's a Eureka Spitfire one person backpacking tent.

It's actually similar to Chopper's Coleman Cobra in shape. Once I read the instructions, set up was easy.
It's got two poles. One about where my shoulders would be, and one about there the ankles are. Inside height (3' 4" aka 40 inches.) is high enough to sit up without poking our head into the top. What I liked is that the rain fly covered the entire tent, instead of being just and awning like my other tents. If the weather is warmer and no chance of rain, you can leave the fly off and it is essentially a screen shelter, so you get plenty of breeze and you can see the stars at night.
What I didn't like was that to mess with the fly other than the door flap, you had to get out of the tent. I would prefer there be a way to deploy or remove the fly while in the tent.
All in all though, it is a good tent and I like it.

Last edited by Shadow; 02-04-2012 at 07:33 AM..
Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Personally, I prefer the air mattress separate from the tent. This way when the mattress springs a leak I can either repair it or have the freedom to upgrade or downgrade. There are two types of air mattresses - one that is leaking and the other is one that will eventually leak. If a tent has too many features then there's a risk when something goes wrong, one has to throw the whole thing away. I think a tent with an integrated option of a mattress would be something, but don't force the air mattress on me unless you plan to carry the thing to my camp and set it up for me (too many features gets too heavy and hard to set up.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

my tent would need to be strong,be able to withstand at least30 to 40 mile per hour wind storms,and snow,and hail,and because i live in oregon,it would need to be water proof,because it rains alot in oregon,and because my wife would need to be able to put it up her self at times,it would need to be simple to put up,and i would need windows because i fart alot when i camp in a tent.