Just finished my trip from Tacoma WA to Atlanta GA... - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Just finished my trip from Tacoma WA to Atlanta GA...

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Just finished my trip from Tacoma WA to Atlanta GA...

Alright, I'm home again! My trip did not quite turned out as expected. I was prepared to tent camp along the way in NM, TX, LA and MS, but as the saying goes: "the best laid plans of men and mice of oft go awry"... While I expected bad weather and hotel stays in OR, CA and AZ, My plan of camping out fell prey to Murphy's Law...
I did make it to my first campground in NM. I actually made a reservation at the Leasburg Dam State Park to make sure I had a place to pitch my tent. I was excited with the beautifully clear blue skies and fabulous landscapes along the way. Arizona has some of the most interesting and beautiful vistas to be enjoyed. Even from the car as one speeds along the highways.
Anyway, I got there with plenty of sunlight left to set up camp and pitched my tent, etc. I had foreseen the cold nights and purchased a bag liner and some nice Polartec underwear at the REI in Tacoma. It got pretty cold as the sun went down but I managed to heat some soup and make a cup of instant decaf. So far so good...

Now Murphy's law came into play. I tripped on the concrete pad in the dark and took a pretty good fall. I guess the blessing was that I was so cold by then that I did not feel much pain LOL!
I checked to see if I was bleeding from anywhere but I appeared to be more or less intact. I went ahead and got in the bag to get some much needed shut eye. The sleeping comfort was indeed pretty good. Although the temps went into the mid 30's, I was pretty warm and snug in the bag with my thermal unders and my bag liner.

The bug in the ointment became apparent the next morning. When I was done with sleeping/resting (some 10 hrs worth), I got out of the cocoon and got dressed pretty warmly I thought. However, within short order my hands and fingers were so cold that I could barely use them to take the camp down. It was still dark and it quickly became obvious that I could not even heat up water for coffee very safely. The shower room was not too cold, but in the middle of my shower, the guys who work there came in and practically ran me out of there with their cleaning. They virtually mopped and swept on top of my stuff! What a PITA, the place is RV friendly but if you are a tent camper, you are out of luck. The damned shower room and bathroom were the only possible shelter from the cold out side and I could not even use it to repack my bags .

After that experience and with the same or colder weather forecast ahead of me, I decided to forgo camping the next night and try again later. Needless to say, the cold chased me right through Texas and Louisiana. I cut my trip short by driving some really long legs and staying in hotels and finally with a friend in Alabama. I made it home to Atlanta today.

The trip was pretty good overall, I loved visiting my sons and I enjoyed a lot of the travels, in spite of not being able to camp out more than the one night. Well, at least a saw a lot of the country that I had never been to, and learned a lot of useful things about myself, traveling, and how the unexpected can changed things in a very short time.

Pictures will come soon...

Last edited by silverz51; 11-20-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Welcome home! Looking forward to some pictures. How'd you like the PCH coastal drives?

So sorry to hear about your fall.

I would have complained about getting rushed through the shower. Tenter or not, you paid your fee and deserved your time. I would have been livid. They can either post the cleanup times, or let you take your shower. This is how it's done other places.

I guess those chemical hand warmers should have been on your equipment list.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
Welcome home! Looking forward to some pictures. How'd you like the PCH coastal drives?

So sorry to hear about your fall.

I would have complained about getting rushed through the shower. Tenter or not, you paid your fee and deserved your time. I would have been livid. They can either post the cleanup times, or let you take your shower. This is how it's done other places.

I guess those chemical hand warmers should have been on your equipment list.
Thanks Art, fortunately my only injuries are a couple of small abrasions on my left elbow and a bit of soreness in my right thumb.

I was pretty annoyed with those rude guys. I cannot believe they would be so callous and insensitive to the customers needs and rights. I can only hope it's just a matter of stupidity and not outright meanness. It made my difficult enough situation even worse!

I did have those chemical hand warmers, but even if I had used them (I did not), it would not have helped much since it's very difficult to use your hands while holding on to the warmers. It's as difficult as working while wearing gloves.. The problem is that for some reason, once my hands get cold, it's very difficult to get them warm again, even soaking them in warm water! It's getting worse with age too. Anyway, it's just something I need to be very aware of if I plan to go on a similar trip again.

The actual drive through most of the route was quite a good experience. The PCH was quite beautiful even though it was cold and cloudy. My detour off 101 through the Humboldt Forest was really fantastic. I just love the giant redwoods!

I'm going to post photos as soon as I can!

Last edited by silverz51; 11-21-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Default Pictures of Leasburg Dam State Park campground

Here are some photos of the Leasburg Dam State Park where I camped during my trip.

My campsite

Mountain view to the SE of the campground

Sunset over the shelters... (those little specs were some kind of little bugs swarming)

View of the mountains at sunset

Last edited by silverz51; 11-21-2011 at 02:48 PM..
Old 11-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

These were taken from US199 in Oregon near the CA state line

Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

These are shots of the PCH just South of Crescent City, CA

The photos below were taken from a point near the edge of the land seen in the background of the photos above. You can barely see the rocks just off shore which are seen in the photos below.

Last edited by silverz51; 11-21-2011 at 10:50 PM..
Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

Looks like you had a good trip and saw some really cool things.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Looks like you had a good trip and saw some really cool things.
I sure did, I also thought about trying to contact you when I was driving through TX. However, I had no way to do so (at least very easily). TX sure is a big state, and pretty desolate in many areas as well...
Not only I could not find WIFI very easily, but I had a couple of scares just trying to find gasoline!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverz51 View Post
I sure did, I also thought about trying to contact you when I was driving through TX. However, I had no way to do so (at least very easily). TX sure is a big state, and pretty desolate in many areas as well...
Not only I could not find WIFI very easily, but I had a couple of scares just trying to find gasoline!
Texas is just full of adventure eh?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Texas is just full of adventure eh?
Oh yes! Totally full of adventure indeed. I even had to go through a Homeland Security(?) checkpoint right in the middle of nowhere. They had I-10 blocked and everyone was stopped and questioned. It was somewhere East of El Paso... 85~90 mph one minute and stopped cold the next!

I made the mistake of not stopping for gasoline in Van Horn. I had filled up in Las Cruces and thought a half a tank would see me easily to the next gas station.. That was one almost tragic incorrect assumption.

Last edited by silverz51; 12-28-2011 at 07:04 PM..