Beautiful WNC revisited - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Beautiful WNC revisited

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 107
Default Beautiful WNC revisited

I can't believe that I had almost forgotten how beautiful are the mountains of Western North Carolina. I lived in the area for nearly 18 years and I recently went back for a visit. On a whim I drove to Brevard from Hendersonville, NC and took a detour off US 276 past the Davidson River campgrounds (beautiful!) and the ranger station onto Forest Service Roads 477 and then came back and took FSR 475 past the fish hatchery. The ranger at ranger station gave me a little map that shows at least 12 FRS's that have roadside (primitive) campsites. These are free on a first come first serve basis I saw a number of campsites and they were really nice and many were available. I will probably go back when I have more time and spend a night or two in those campsites.

This is one of them:


As I was driving on FSR 475 I saw these guys walking on the road and when I came upon them they ran and finally took flight:



Last edited by silverz51; 10-31-2011 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 107
Default

These are pictures of the Davidson river at the Davidson River Campgrounds.





Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Shadow's Avatar
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 81
Default

That's really beautiful. Wish I could go camping up there.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 11-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
That's really beautiful. Wish I could go camping up there.
It's a long haul from TX, but it might be worth it... BTW, there are lots of trout in those rivers, they keep them stocked with rainbow and brown trout. And there is even native trout in the little streams. At a shop they told me that a 10 day out of state fishing license is $20 and $10 for a trout stamp...


This stream was very near one of the campsites, there are lots more of these around too....





I don't doubt that you can catch a dinner of speckled native trout here...

Last edited by silverz51; 11-01-2011 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 971
Default

Wow, nice! Are those Turkeys in the bird pictures? And are they flying? I thought Turkeys were flightless but I guess if you scare them enough, they'll take flight.

My favorite picture is the one from the small bridge that has reflectations in the vivid blue stream! I wish I was right there, right now!

What's the relevance to the fotomecanico.com references in the pictures?



__________________
Art
Murrieta, CA

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Shadow's Avatar
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
Wow, nice! Are those Turkeys in the bird pictures? And are they flying? I thought Turkeys were flightless but I guess if you scare them enough, they'll take flight.

My favorite picture is the one from the small bridge that has reflectations in the vivid blue stream! I wish I was right there, right now!

What's the relevance to the fotomecanico.com references in the pictures?
When I lived in Indiana, we had a cabin on Big Turkey Lake. Named for the abundance of wild turkeys in the area long ago. Yep, wild turkeys can fly pretty well actually.

The website is silver92b's web domain.

Last edited by Shadow; 11-01-2011 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
Wow, nice! Are those Turkeys in the bird pictures? And are they flying? I thought Turkeys were flightless but I guess if you scare them enough, they'll take flight.

My favorite picture is the one from the small bridge that has reflectations in the vivid blue stream! I wish I was right there, right now!

What's the relevance to the fotomecanico.com references in the pictures?
Like Shadow said, turkeys do indeed fly, and pretty well too! However, they are more like chickens in that they like to walk around the ground eating and stuff. And he is right that fotomecanico.com is a domain I have where I store photos and such. The label in my photographs is just a watermark.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
When I lived in Indiana, we had a cabin on Big Turkey Lake. Named for the abundance of wild turkeys in the area long ago. Yep, wild turkeys can fly pretty well actually.

The website is silver92b's web domain.
That's pretty sharp there Shadow, you even found my email handle... How did you do that? I was looking in my profile and could not find where I listed it...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 971
Default

Hmmm, then there's something wrong with the California turkeys around Santa Barbara.

We were at an RV resort near there and there were lots of turkeys with the chicks (if that is what you called a baby turkey). They were everywhere and they just ran everywhere but never caught any air. Maybe it's because the little chicks couldn't fly and the adults with them didn't want to desert them.

They ran from everything; vehicles, people and pets being walked by people. They seemed comfortable enough and were quite numerous the whole time, but didn't hesitate to run if anything started heading towards them. It's the first time I ever saw that many wild turkeys in one place and none of them flew.



__________________
Art
Murrieta, CA

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Shadow's Avatar
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverz51 View Post
That's pretty sharp there Shadow, you even found my email handle... How did you do that? I was looking in my profile and could not find where I listed it...
Oh lol sorry I meant to put your forum handle not your email name. I actually have your name, address, and phone number too but I didn't think you wanted that posted up in the forums.


Oh, FYI I'm not a guy.

Last edited by Shadow; 11-02-2011 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Oh lol sorry I meant to put your forum handle not your email name. I actually have your name, address, and phone number too but I didn't think you wanted that posted up in the forums.


Oh, FYI I'm not a guy.
OK, OK, thanks for not posting everything I did figure you were not a guy from a cursory look in your profile. However, Sherlock Holmes I am not....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
Hmmm, then there's something wrong with the California turkeys around Santa Barbara.

We were at an RV resort near there and there were lots of turkeys with the chicks (if that is what you called a baby turkey). They were everywhere and they just ran everywhere but never caught any air. Maybe it's because the little chicks couldn't fly and the adults with them didn't want to desert them.

They ran from everything; vehicles, people and pets being walked by people. They seemed comfortable enough and were quite numerous the whole time, but didn't hesitate to run if anything started heading towards them. It's the first time I ever saw that many wild turkeys in one place and none of them flew.
There is nothing wrong with those Cali turkeys. They can pretty much outrun everything they want to avoid in those campgrounds (they learned by experience). I believe the only reason they took flight when I came upon them was because they could not easily outrun my FJ Cruiser.
Mind you, I was not trying to harass them or run them down. I just drove up on them and did not slow down much more (I was only going about 15~20 mph). Anyway, when they noticed that the car came upon them relentlessly, instead of running into the woods, the flew up to the trees.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverz51 View Post
It's a long haul from TX, but it might be worth it... BTW, there are lots of trout in those rivers, they keep them stocked with rainbow and brown trout. And there is even native trout in the little streams. At a shop they told me that a 10 day out of state fishing license is $20 and $10 for a trout stamp...


This stream was very near one of the campsites, there are lots more of these around too....





I don't doubt that you can catch a dinner of speckled native trout here...
Awesome pictures! Would definitely plan heading out here sometime.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.