Advise on long trip please. Tacoma to Atlanta via L.A. - Page 3 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Advise on long trip please. Tacoma to Atlanta via L.A.

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

For convenience there's a nice KOA in Las Cruces right off I-10 before you get into town. I've been there a couple of times. A couple of the other places you mention are ways off the main drag. Like Leasburg and Heuco Tanks. I'm not familiar with the others.

I've driven from L.A. to Las Cruces/El paso in one day, but it's a long 800 miles and you're doing it when the days are shorter and colder and we didn't have to set up a tent.

Lots of idea for sure.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

You are right about the distance from LA to Las Cruces. I will make a midway stop near Phoenix. Lake Pleasant seems to be relatively nearby and offers several campgrounds with a variety of campsites.

The campgrounds I found near Las Cruces are off the beaten path for sure, but I kind of like that. Those seem to be like El Morro and El Malpais where I camped in NM on my way back from the Grand Canyon. I'd just have to make sure I can arrive with enough daylight to set up camp.

The KOA seems convenient, although for for some reason I am not attracted to commercial campgrounds.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Camping Guru

If you are planning a midway stop in Phoenix then off the beaten path in Las Cruces is good. I'd recommend Tucson which is a little farther (about 110 miles) or even Casa Grande (about 50 miles) but if you stay at your friend's you can probably get an early jump not having to breakdown a tent. Phoenix is experiencing a huge urban sprawl and doesn't have much camping areas, where Tucson and Casa Grande are less sprawl and a prettier towns since it's less crowded and then the Saguaro National Park is nearby, too.

I just think Phoenix is too close to L.A. and using I-10 would get you there in no time so that Casa Grande or Tucson would be better uses of time and if you get there early enough and get to see a Saquaro sunset, it's fabulous. At least it was for me and DW when we visited Tucson one year in Fall. It will be cold. Deserts in late Fall & Winter are cold! We have traveled many times and definitely prefer either of these two places over Phoenix.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL

Last edited by artmart; 11-07-2011 at 11:35 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
If you are planning a midway stop in Phoenix then off the beaten path in Las Cruces is good. I'd recommend Tucson which is a little farther (about 110 miles) or even Casa Grande (about 50 miles) but if you stay at your friend's you can probably get an early jump not having to breakdown a tent. Phoenix is experiencing a huge urban sprawl and doesn't have much camping areas, where Tucson and Casa Grande are less sprawl and a prettier towns since it's less crowded and then the Saguaro National Park is nearby, too.

I just think Phoenix is too close to L.A. and using I-10 would get you there in no time so that Casa Grande or Tucson would be better uses of time and if you get there early enough and get to see a Saquaro sunset, it's fabulous. At least it was for me and DW when we visited Tucson one year in Fall. It will be cold. Deserts in late Fall & Winter are cold! We have traveled many times and definitely prefer either of these two places over Phoenix.
Thanks for the tip! I was wondering whether Tucson might be a better choice... Also, I was wondering about the cold. Do you think a 20 deg bag w/liner and long underwear will allow me to sleep comfortably there?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Wow, after hours of juggling maps, researching parks and recreation areas, taking withe friends in various cities, I finally have a pretty firm and apparently workable itinerary. Starting from Tacoma:

day 1 Wolf Creek OR (inn) Quaint old inn - From Wolf Creek to Ukiah, detour along the PCH as possible.
day 2 Ukiah, CA (hotel) clean, comfortable hotel - From Ukiah to LA, take the PCH as much as possible
day 3 Los Angeles (friends) visit, go dancing - start comfortably late and arrive comfortably early to Scottsdale
day 4 Scottsdale (hotel) go dancing, stay in very nice hotel get an early start and drive on...
day 5 Leasburg Dam State Park, NM (tent camping)
day 6 Monahans Sandhill State Park, TX (tent camping)
day 7 Laguna Park, TX (tent camping)
day 8 Lake D'Arbonne State Park, LA (tent camping)
day 9 Birminham, AL (friends)
day 10 home

I think I will have to buy a colder weather sleeping bag than the one I have. The camping in NM & TX might be in chilly weather... I don't know yet what I will do about food while camping. Probably some sort of minimalist stuff, maybe some cans of soup, chips or rice cakes, coffee and my own trail mix.... On the road it will probably be McDonalds (or Subways) breakfast, salad lunches and snacks.

Last edited by silverz51; 11-07-2011 at 11:41 PM..
Old 11-08-2011, 02:09 AM
Camping Guru

About the bag, I could probably sleep just fine in a 20 bag with med or heavy thermals and a wool cap, but I sleep pretty warm. The biggest problem I have is getting OUT of the warm bag. Keep a down or similar jacket close by to get warm with a shell. I also use something like ski pants on my legs. This way if it's raining I am good to go too. Then as things warm up, I layer down.

Easy breakfasts help make the teardown a lot easier.

That's a pretty good schedule. I hope weather and traffic help you stay on schedule.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 11-08-2011, 02:54 AM
Camping Guru

I plotted the estimated mileage between points and this is what I came up with.
Start: Tacoma, WA to Wolf Creek, OR (is this still in the plan?)- 370 miles
day 1 Wolf Creek OR (inn) to Ukiah (340 miles, 710 total miles)
day 2 Ukiah, CA to L.A., CA (490 miles, 1200 total miles)
day 3 Los Angeles to Scottsdale, AZ (390 miles, 1590 total miles)
day 4 Scottsdale, AZ to Leasburg, NM (410 miles, 2000 total miles)
day 5 Leasburg Dam State Park, NM to Monahans, TX (300 miles, 2300 total miles)
day 6 Monahans Sandhill State Park, TX to Laguna Park, TX (450 miles, 2750 total miles)
day 7 Laguna Park, TX to Lake D'Arbonne, LA (340 miles, 3090 total miles)
day 8 Lake D'Arbonne State Park, LA to Birmingham, AL (395 miles, 3485 total miles)
day 9 Birminham, AL (friends) to Atlanta, GA (145 miles, 3,630 total miles)
day 10 home.

Not bad except for that stretch in CA from Ukiah to L.A. While it's only about 500 miles that's a tough drive and you've made it your longest segment. It's mostly two lane road, but you'll want to drive as much of PCH/101 or you'll kick yourself from what you'd miss. Being able to spend the night at your friends in L.A. to minimize setup and the length of time for the drive and I'm not sure you'll have enough energy to dance. LOL.

You are gonna be tired because you'll be stopping along the way for some pictures. It gets dark around here on the West coast by 5:00pm and those last 150 miles to L.A. on 101 can be tough. You'll get to wonder where all the money went for road improvements. Hwy 101 from Santa Barbara to L.A. is the most traveled road in the world.

Travel well and Bon Voyage!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Thanks for the good wishes!!
I know that drive to LA is going to get old after the first 6 or so hours of driving. However, I can't see anyway around it other that skip Ukiah and drive a bit further South... I just don't know if I can do the research on towns, hotels, etc. And finish my packing today. You were so right about the time accelerating as the trip comes nie.

I'm taking a break from the clothes/toiletry/supplies list to write this. I think I got it down to the right number of changes of clothes with laundry stops. Gotta pare everything down to a minimum as stuff tends to grow as one packs... The Miata is looking smaller and smaller with every item I add to the list.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:37 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

thanks for the share hearing aids
Old 11-30-2020, 05:38 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

i love this site audiologist