Got a new vehicle to go camping - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Got a new vehicle to go camping

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Got a new vehicle to go camping

OK, I went in my cross country to the Grand Canyon and back in my Corvette. It was fun and it worked out, but it felt odd to take that car into campgrounds and it limited where I could go because of the roads... I have decided that I like traveling and camping out, and my old truck does not seem to be ideal for it. So I decided to get a more appropriate vehicle for the purpose. I have traded my Corvette and got this:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

That'll work. A small utility vehicle you can take off the beaten path. A small but good enough engine to get around and plenty of room for gear. Just because you have a roof rack, be careful how much stuff you put up there. Most hold about 100lbs or less, but you'll be surprised how much stuff that is.

I also recommend a good cargo bag with straps to keep things together, solid, tight and protected from the elements and then ONLY if you have too (anything up there will make your mpgs suffer. But what about that truck tent you bought? Well, you still have the truck, so you can use this for local trips.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Nice looking ride. Not as pretty as the vette, but much more functional for camping

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Well, I am having major buyers remorse... My Corvette was a very nice car and as usual, I feel I could have gotten a better deal if I had negotiated hard enough... I do hope I get some good use out of this vehicle. I do like it and I did get almost $10K in my pocket which helps a lot in the financial department.
I think I will sell the truck tent as well as the truck. I would like to get a nice little Miata for when I get the urge to put the top down and drive fast around turns though.
We'll see, I do hope I get my wife on board (pardon the pun) and go for some nice camping trips. Otherwise, I'll just have to go solo again.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Don't get worked up about the remorse or you're gonna start to hate things. Rest assured the seller's are thinking the same thing. Look to the future fun, not the past's lessons.

I fear you'll need to do what I did to get the wife to come along... You'll need a trailer with all the comforts!!! No fooling...

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 10-11-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Old 10-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
Don't get worked up about the remorse or you're gonna start to hate things. Rest assured the seller's are thinking the same thing. Look to the future fun, not the past's lessons.

I fear you'll need to do what I did to get the wife to come along... You'll need a trailer with all the comforts!!! No fooling...
Thanks for the encouragement, I did need to calm down and look at things without too much emotion. The FJ is a great vehicle and will serve me well. Also, it's likely to hold its resale value as well as anything else in the market, and the $$$$ in the bank is pretty sweet too

As far as the wife goes, it's ostensibly not about the discomforts of camping, but rather that she does not tolerate riding in the car (any car) for very long... I think if we find time and plan well, she'll really enjoy herself and we'll continue to go camping. Also, she does not mind me going alone, but it can't be too long which puts a big damper on my big trip plans.... Oh well, we'll see..