Changed completely my plans for Grand Canyon trip - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Changed completely my plans for Grand Canyon trip

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 11:30 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Changed completely my plans for Grand Canyon trip

Well, I've been planning this trip to go see the Grand Canyon.. I bought a "Sportz III" truck tent, completely prepped my '94 F150 and started planning the rest of the stuff.. Well, after a trial camping trip to NC to visit some friends, I decided that my truck tent setup was too complicated and cumbersome. The tent itself is not simple or quick to install and the hassle of handling all the stuff I packed in the truck was more than I wanted to deal with in several camping stops along the way... Also the truck gets 15 mpg and one could definitely get a more comfy ride.

My buddy loaned me a tent, and some other camping gear. I headed home and set up his tent in the yard to test it, and it smells too funky for me to live in for 12~16 days. It also has a tear in the rain fly window and needs to be seam sealed all over. Now my only other ride is a Corvette.. Nice ride, comfy and gets around 27mpg on the highway. But.. It has not much storage room. Still, I must do with what I have.

I decided to purchase a tent and be more comfortable. I found a $39 Quest Dome tent and immediately bought it and took it home to try. Well, a $39 tent is basically worth a good bit less than that. The construction quality was awful and I'm positive it will leak and will not keep rain out in addition to being uncomfortably stuffy. It went back the next day.. Now I started researching tents. What a big project! There must be hundreds of possible choices. Finally I settled for a Marmot Limelight 2 tent from reading about tents, prices, reviews, etc.

I went to REI to check out tents and asked the salesman's advise/opinion. When asked about "value" tents in general he showed me a $90 tent that fit my basic requirements, but when I asked about rain, leaking, etc. He said "it will leak", "no, it wont keep rain out". I asked why and he said these are entry level tents for Boy Scouts and such who cannot spend more money. When I mentioned the Marmot ($199), he said "if you are going to spend that much, buy this: (REI Half Dome 2 plus)"

Well, I got the REI tent and took it home to try. Sure enough, it's incredibly easier to assemble, much higher quality material and workmanship "and" as the guy says "this one wont leak, and yes, it will keep rain out". Well, My plans have changed a lot... Now I'm taking a single burner propane cooking stove, a smaller but much easier tent to use and about half of the stuff I was planning to take in the truck. I'm wondering if I should trust the rain fly and not even take the tarps and P cords to try to shade and protect the tent.

I hope to be able to camp out in areas accessible to my low clearance car. It will travel in gravel roads as long as they are in reasonable shape (I drove a few miles in gravel roads of the Red River Canyon NF in Kentucky two weeks ago).

My buddy's funky tent

$39 dollar tent above (sucks)

REI HAlf Dome 2 plus tent. Shown without the rain fly in this photo. Huge difference in quality, ease of assembly, materials and comfort!

Last edited by silverz51; 08-31-2011 at 11:42 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I was just wondering how your trip plans were coming along. Here's some comments I hope that help.

With the full rainfly (not one of those crappy tiny ones like what was on the first two tents), you should be fine with that tent, but no flames or food inside EVER. It is a nice tent. You will have plenty of room in there with just you and Corvette size amount of cargo. Take the tarp to fabricate over the probable picnic table in the campsite so you can prepare and eat at the table and under the tarp. I recommend something like the first picture except that you should have a "peak" to allow any water to run off. Take plenty of "line" for lashing!

Since you are solo, the passenger seat should be big enough for all your gear and don't forget that blanket to cover everything. Then at the campground put everything in the tent or setup on the table. You'll find people won't mess with it if you are in a "real campground". Campers tend to watch out for each other. But the more valuable stuff stays with you or in the car.

When the tent is set up, leave the fly on, but the windows open to keep the air flowing. If it gets cold rely on the sleeping bag and layering of clothing for comfort. That is not a 4 season tent so ventilation is important.

To keep the tent steady, don't be afraid to stake it down, then use the other "stays" and stakes to make it rock solid if the fly has lashing points. Limiting the movement will lessen the noise of any flapping and prevent movement that can create wear points and noisy sleeptimes. The tent should endure some pretty good wind.

REI has a great return policy. Unfortunately when you are out there they are not convenient. The closest REIs are in Las Vegas, NV or in the Phoenix, AZ area. I really don't think you are gonna have any problems with that tent.

There's probably so much more that I can tell you, but I don't want to overwhelm you. I think you are gonna do just fine!

Bon Voyage! Send pictures!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 09-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

The REI tent does have a nice rain fly, and I went ahead with the purchase of a dedicated footprint as well...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Good ideas!!!

A GOOD fly is one that covers the whole tent down to just above the ground. You wouldn't want the exterior of the walls at your house to go down only halfway, so why expect this on a tent? The layers help with insulation and keeping the interior dry. The smaller the tent, it is more critical. Larger tents are known to have smaller fly "toppers", but I still prefer a larger fly if precipitation is expected.

The footprint is a great idea and helps prevent damage from rocks, twigs, branches, leaves and especially sap and stuff like that. Over time it is less expensive to replace a footprint, than the tent floor which will include the whole tent body.

Do still be diligent about clearing the site of sharp objects, but I prefer higher ground than low depressions. My inflatable pad will create the comfort for the sleeping bag, not the ground.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear