Tents and Sleeping Bag myth's? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Tents and Sleeping Bag myth's?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Tents and Sleeping Bag myth's?

I don't spend a lot of money on tents. About 30.00 to 40.00 max for a two person dome tent. It should be reasonably water proof and in the desert your prime concern is flash flooding which can wipe you out regardless of the quality of your tent. My SUV is my base camp so I can always get to cover if the weather gets ugly. I generally discard the useless stakes that come with my tent and use 1/4" steel rod that are about 20 inches long. The desert is a graveyard for blown away tents when the wind picks up. My first experience camping in the desert was with an open tent and when I woke up in the morning I had a rosy boa snoozing next to me and a couple of lizards at my feet!

One thing I've learned about dome tents is that if you want a 1 person tent, then get a 2 person tent. You'll be a lot more confortable and have some extra storage space. If you require a two person tent for two people then get a three person tent or you'll have someone's elbow in your face all night! And the same holds true for a three or four person tent.

I think more consideration and money should be placed in getting a good quality sleeping bag, and this is where sleeping bag ratings become muddy. I always yield on the safe side, so if a bag has a temperature rating that you would be confortable at 40 degrees, then I'll get one that will be confortable at 25 or 30 degrees.

Here's an article that more or less explains the sleeping bag ratings myth! Something this article didn't elude to is that were all different individuals and each one of us has a different confort zone or tollerance, especially when it applies really cold temperatures.

Sleeping Bag Temperature Ratings

And speaking of camping hazzards... here are some guys that can dismantle your tent and camp site in a few minutes!
Video -- Flying Devils -- National Geographic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I think sleeping bag ratings have a lot to be desired, too. We often forget that we can layer up with clothing if needed, too. I sleep very warm and don't usually need anything too heavy. Then I'll wear socks and a balaclava if it's gonna be cold.

About a tent, I won't buy cheap. I've never seen one last more than a season! I also consider plus one for number of people, or if it has a good size vestibule. I have a great habit of shaking things out before use (like boots) and keeping EVERYTHING zipped up when not in use (tents, packs, bags, etc.)

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 06-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

My inexpensive dome tent (Stansport) has lasted me three years so far. I have a considerable investment in my 1 person trail tent (survival tent), which should last me for my lifetime, when ever that will be! Sometimes I feel like I'm functioning on borrowed time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Well, I didn't say expensive tents, either. I try to get what I call value. I camp in all kinds of extremes and I can say windy, hot, cold, rainy, snowy or clear, the tents I now have don't leak, condensate, are rock solid, and still working great, and that's what I hope for. I use a tent for a decent night's sleep and if I have to run to the safety of my vehicle then I haven't done something right and I'm willing to pay for that.

I've made some poor selections, like a huge $100 canvas family tent that eventually mildewed and wasn't free-standing, or an automatic tent that was easy to setup but didn't have enough pole strength to keep its form in a strong wind, but the rest are holding up just fine.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

a good tent is like a good women,not replaceable,and will keep you warm on those cold nights,and cool in the summer because it will keep your beer cool enough to drink,now here is the down fall to a good tent,it will not get up and get you a cool beer,a good women will,if you ask the right way.