Tent camping to the extreme... - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Tent camping to the extreme...

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Default Tent camping to the extreme...

I am looking forward to an upcoming backpack trip. I will be solo about half the time. The other times I join up with others who are backpacking all 260 miles of the JMT.

I am using Cedar Grove to do the Rae Lakes Loop. I start at 5,000 ft and the highest point is just under 12,000ft with most of the 45 miles about 7,500 ft. I have a side trip to haul up some food to the halfway point and will help maneuver some vehicles around to help with the JMTers, but I'm going up mostly just to finally complete the Rae Lakes Loop.

I will haul everything I need - all 10 essentials and a few extra comfort items. I will probably be able to do everything except shave (leave the razor and shaving cream at the vehicle so I can look good on the way home).

No guns, no air conditioners, no big camping gear - just lightweight stuff and a good pair of boots, a camera and GPS and about 35 years experience. Should be no problem.

Should I expect to see any of you up there?

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

No this time! I wandered a little last year around Mt.Whitney portal, but coming from the Owens Valley (from Reno to Lone Pine through the 395).

I haven't gone to the loop, but it's said that the trailhead quotas often fill up quickly so reservations are advised (the same may happen in the Chilkoot Trail in Alaska).

Be safe and have fun up there!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Camping Guru

Yup, I sent away for the reservation. Just waiting for word... I have alternate plans so I have some flexibility.

I have planned the Chilkoot trail for some number of years, too. But my Bro-in-Law who lives in Juneau never commited and therefore I never went. I have been up using the road and train which were built to eliminate the horrendous Chilkoot trail, but not on the trail itself. The wife would never let me do this one alone and therefore I wouldn't try. Besides the bigger bears to worry about, there's also crossing into Canada and other differences. I'll stick to the numerous opportunities in California.

I've been on My Whitney 3 times and I'm done with that. Backpacked to last campsite on the main trail and summited the next day.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

have a good and safe trip.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Sounds like fun! Pack light!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Camping Guru

Well, THAT was disappointing... The backpack was planned to a tee. The problem was the Supply stash hike out of Onion Valley before driving around to Cedar Grove to start my backpack.

I went up with three friends on the Eastern side to help shuttle friends, help with driving and to stash some supplies at Kearsarge Lakes. But I did not acclimate enough.

Starting at 9,200ft at Onion Valley trailhead parking lot with 10 lbs of food and resupplies for the upcoming backpack (plus about 9 lbs of 10 essentials) and trying to hike over the 11,760ft Kearsarge pass then down into the Kearsarge Lakes area to stow into the bear boxes at the campsites, well, I did not make it. At 10,840 ft more than halfway up to Kearsarge pass I got altitude sickness so bad I had to abort, turn back and head back down to the trailhead parking lot. I was unable to stash my supplies which meant I would not have food and supplies to complete my backpack if I had started it. I could go into the Rae Lakes Loop, but then I wouldn't have any supplies to complete the loop or even return the same way if I wanted to. So I had to cancel my part of the backpack.

The friends I went with were able to stash their goods and are currently trudging along and I hope they are safe! Two of them are proceeding 250 miles in total, all the way to Yosemite Valley to traverse the JMT. I had planned only one week on the Rae Lakes Loop and would meet then at Kearsarge Lakes and accompany them for about 18 miles as part of the Loop.

Oh well, it happens. This is only the second time I've had altitude sickness but this one was by far the worst occurrence, but I am about 20 years older and didn't acclimate enough. I'm finding I need more acclimation time as I get older. I probably should have done more physical conditioning and training by going on some altitude hikes. I stuck to local altitude (1,200ft) running, cycling, treadmill and weight training. I guess if I plan to to this in the future I better use more appropriate training, cuz I'm not getting any younger.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL

Last edited by artmart; 07-27-2011 at 02:10 PM..