Women camping safely - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Women camping safely

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Women camping safely

I started tent camping last fall--well, I went twice to our local state park. I found that I was nervous tent camping by myself. Now that the season is up and running again, I'm trying to make my tent camping as safe as possible. Do any of the women here camp alone? What precautions do you take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Carry bear spray or mase its the same thing but bear spray is WAY stronger and it shoots further. It will work on humans as well, no reason to be nervous but you can never be too safe. If you still feel uncomfortable you can get a CCW license or a FLCW and carry a handgun with you and take a few safety courses.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Good advice.
Also keep your eyes open; a lone lady may attract some bad or drunk guys.
If you go backcountry is advisable to have companions. You may be out of reach of civilization and depend on yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

^ thank you and likewise .

Another thing, if you are going alone make sure you leave a note at home or tell someone where you'll be going, you never know what might happen. You could get your vehicle stuck or fall and break a leg and not the have fun kind of broken leg :P.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Camper

Thanks all! So far--and probably always--camp in State Parks. I guess I'm pretty safe b/c I always let the camp host and rangers know I'm alone and get on good terms with them. Most of the state parks I go to are ones that I've gone to with my husband and so everyone knows me. I would love to go a little off the beaten path, but I guess I'll have to take DH for that one. :-)

DH doesn't really like tenting anymore now that we have a 35' MH with all the accessories. However, I want to enjoy nature a little more than the MH allows. And there are just so many places that don't have the space for the MHs...

Will always try to watch my back and be ever aware of all my surroundings. Thanks again!!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

MH's are nice but I like tent camping as well. I prefer camping near streams or lakes to hear the water is very soothing to me.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Women tent camping alone

I taught myself how to tent camp last summer and am glad to be past the survival stage of setting up camp and learning to cook over an open fire! I take my small dog, e-mail family with campground address, phone number and site #, get to know the campground host and rangers, keep valuables locked up and out of sight, and leave weapons at home. By my side at night are a flashlight, whistle and the panic alarm button for my car. I was terrified at first, but camping in State Parks in NC, SC, VA and Kentucky has been a blast.

I'm going camping in Maine this summer for a couple of weeks and will stay for a few days in a private campground with a walk-in area for tent campers by the beach. I feel that I know what to expect at a State Park, however private campgrounds could be unpredictable and I have been hesitant to stay at them. Does anyone know of a reliable site for tent camping campgrounds?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

^ I hear car alarms all the time in camp grounds from people forgetting they set them and then try and open up the car\truck door. A whistle is a good idea but most people don't look at car alarms nor whistles unless you are down at the beach and a life guard is there.

At least that's been my experience.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY2348 View Post
^ I hear car alarms all the time in camp grounds from people forgetting they set them and then try and open up the car\truck door. A whistle is a good idea but most people don't look at car alarms nor whistles unless you are down at the beach and a life guard is there.

At least that's been my experience.
To be honest I would treat a Car Alarm more as a nusance rather than an alarm and or a cry for help!

This is mainly due to kids and their Jap Scrap Cars with alarms that are worth more than the car itself going off in campgrounds at all hours.

Lets not forget the dum ass that hits his panic button rather than the unluck button on his key fob while trying to find that last beer at 2 am

The first thing I would do if I was you is talk to BOTH neighbours on either side of your camp site and just ask them to be aware that your alone and that if they were to hear a whistle and or your car alarm that they should come running and call 911.

Good luck and be safe!

http://www.prostateextremeteam.com/gifs/ribbon_sm.gif 2001 GMC Yukon 27' Shasta
Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Camper

Thank you 121 for the advice. I guess that I have been blessed with fairly quiet campgrounds at night. Alcohol isn't allowed in NC in the state parks and drinking is done out of sight so to speak. I'm never far from the camp host site and they know that I'm a newby to camping and will press my panic button if there is an emergency. I have been reluctant to talk with people unless they talk with me first, however I see the wisdom in letting everyone around me know about the whistle and alarm. Thank you for the sage advice.

I believe that people are essentially good and have been grateful for how many have kept an eye out for me. I was especially touched by a 13 year old girl from Virginia who kept me company one night by the campfire so that I wouldn't be scared.

Have a safe and fun camping season!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

A whistle is really a good idea also for the trails. It allows you to reach farther away. I always carry one.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Camper

Good safety idea Kamperman! I always encourage kids to keep whistles around their necks when out in the woods hiking just in case they are separated from their daypacks and I have always done the same.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Camper

Judy Ann, it's good to know that I'm not the only crazy woman learning tent camping :-) Besides the safety issues, it is kind of lonely camping alone...I call it my "stillness" training. What VA State Parks have you camped at? I absolutely love my VA state parks!! My DH gave me a lesson in putting up his larger dome tent by myself--another alternative to the little one I used last year.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Camper

Hi Skwrly, I have had great times at both Douthat State Park and Grayson Highlands. Met another lone female in Douthat with her dogs and we are going to try to meet up in Nags Head at a State Park early April. She is from Virginia Beach and can't wait to get back up into the mountains of VA. Beautiful country. What are you favorite parks?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Camper

Skwrly, I don't think that we are crazy at all. How many people have the luxury of waking up in the morning by a fog shrouded lake, watching some deer feed and enjoy the "stillness?" That sense of accomplishment putting up a tent for the first time by yourself and making it through a tropical storm without getting killed or wet can be priceless. Enjoy the new toy and pitch a tent for watching the shooting stars, you'll have the best of both worlds! Be safe ;-)