Women camping safely - Page 3 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Women camping safely

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

A note about firearms: These are not always accessable or legal to carry in many places. Here in Texas, I have concealed handgun license, and I am a commissioned security officer. I can wear a gun openly at work when in uniform, and i can carry one concealed when I am off work with some exceptions. Any business can post a sign barring you from bringing in weapons, and any restaurant or bar that makes more than 51% of its income from alchohol is an instant no-carry zone, as well as schools, hospitals, and some other government buildings. Another case is state parks. On some rare occasions they might have some kind of hunting event there, but in that case they usually close the park to non-hunters.

Bear spray on the other hand is usually 100% legal to bring about anywhere. It's possibly illegal to use it on people, but in a self defense situation, I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Another psychological drawback to having a gun, even trained soldiers sometimes can't make themselves pull the trigger on an armed enemy. How hard do you think it is for a civilian to plug an unarmed assailant, even if there is the danger of rape or murder?
Remember, this isn't the movies. Most people you see shooting it up in the movies, with the cool theme music and special effects, would probably be classed as psychopath's in the real world? Police officers are given time off and usually required to visit a therapist after an officer involved shooting.

Now this is now meant to discourage anyone from owning or bringing a gun, I just want you to be aware of all the ramifications of it. If you DO own a gun, go take some shooting classes and practice often. If you DO pull a gun on someone, be prepared to use it. I have never had to pull my weapon at any time except for practice or cleaning because I had other options.

There is a "force continuum" that we have to follow in security. Here are how they apply to camping situations.
1. Physical Presence - This includes verbal commands "Get the hell out of here"
2. Soft Hands - Pushing away, and other things not mean to injure.
3. Mace or Pepper Spray (or sic'ing your dog on them)
4. Hard Hands - Punches, kicks, other attacks meant to injure.
5. Police Baton, Taser, etc. - or tent pole, hiking stick, or other blunt object
6. Threat of Deadly Force - pulling the gun, saying "go away, if you keep attacking ill be forced to defend myself"
7. Deadly Force - Shoot until they no longer seem like a threat. If that takes one shot, or 15.

The thing about the force continuum is that you don't have to escalate step by step. For instance, if someone walks into your camp and whips out a machete and says "I'm going to cut your head off" That is a credible threat of deadly force, and you can go directly to either threatening deadly force of your own, or shooting the person. You don't have to talk to them, then try to push them, then find your pepper spray, etc.

Now for all the rest of the mentions of guns for protection in this thread, I suggest going to a concealed hangun forum that is focused on the state you live in. That will have much more information about laws, proceedures, tacticsm and legal pitfalls that the Camper Community forum just isn't geared to deal with. I am not a lawyer, and nothing I say should be interpreted as legal advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Great advice, unfortunately I think that you and I know that for most people all bets are off when surprised by the unexpected and too casual in our lives to produce the physical and mental onrush for what's needed to remain safe. This is why there will still be more victims than heroes. That's why heroes make the news, it's unusual, rare, but fortunate.

While not a in law enforcement and security where this can be practiced as a drill or day to day, I won't be able to remember what to do if I had to think about it. I think what we all forget to mention is that this has to become instinctive second nature action in order to be the most effective. So far so good for me, since most emergencies I've run into I was able to be calm and effective whether an accident, mishap or bear encounter. I worry as I get older and more sedate (calm) that even if the adrenaline starts kicking in, will I be able to perform physically? Be safe everyone.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 10-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

That's why i recommend the pepper spray over using a gun. There isn't that "OMG I MIGHT KILL SOMEONE" feeling with pepper spray, so you are more likely to use it to defend yourself.

We are talking about extreme "what if" situations here anyway. 99.99% of the time people you meet while camping are there for the same reasons you are: To relax, and enjoy nature. The most you have to worry about is obnoxious neighbors who make noise or come into your camp uninvited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
That's why i recommend the pepper spray over using a gun. There isn't that "OMG I MIGHT KILL SOMEONE" feeling with pepper spray, so you are more likely to use it to defend yourself.

We are talking about extreme "what if" situations here anyway. 99.99% of the time people you meet while camping are there for the same reasons you are: To relax, and enjoy nature. The most you have to worry about is obnoxious neighbors who make noise or come into your camp uninvited.
that is something i can not argue with shadow,most people go to state campgrounds,or maybe federal campground,me and my wife on the other back country camp 50 to 100 miles from no wear,and finding meth labs,and grow fiels are in some places a part of every day camping,especially in the mount hood national forrest,so i allways carry a fire arm,because the drug dealers certainly do.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Hi Everyone. I'm new here. I've been camping all my life. I still tent camp in my mid-60s. I often go camping alone because people my age go in their dreaded motor homes. That's not camping! I hate campgrounds that cater to the noisy big rigs. I like grass under my feet, not gravel. I don't need or want electricity. I want to sit around a campfire, not around a computer or TV screen. I'll tent camp until I'm too old and decrepit to pitch my own tent.

So, yes, I tent camp alone if I can't find another tent camper to join me. I stick to state campground parks. I feel perfectly safe. I don't carry a gun or bear spray. Good Lord, it never really occurred to me to be fearful. I've never been bothered by anything more than mosquitoes.

I love this discussion.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Camper

Travel Safety Tips for Women should apply to women camping too.