Women camping safely - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Women camping safely

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

"Through return to simple living comes control of desires. In control of desires Stillness is attained. In stillness the world is restored."
Lao Tzu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Hi! Another solo female self-taught camper here! I'm enjoying this discussion.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Welcome glitter, post up an introduction when you get a chance, tell us a little about you and your camping style

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

I love them all! It all depends on what I want to do--I also live in SE VA on the peninsula and I grew up going to the beach so I LOVE heading to the mountains! I go to James River state park for paddling on the James; Chippokes is closeby; I really enjoyed Douthat but DH doesn't like to go that far; Westmoreland & Belle Isle on the Northern Neck are very nice; Bear Creek Lake SP is next on my list. Man, I guess you can tell that I really love my VA SPs! Sorry for the long list! :-)
Old 07-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Camper

Hi, I usually camp with friends but would love to camp alone. Not actually alone but with my collie. Will let you know how this works. I feel it will be safer in state parks where no alcohol is allowed. Good to know there are other ladies out there who love camping

I found a "personal alarm" at the dollar store. When you pull the pin, it makes a really loud sound. In fact one day it was in my pocket and I took it out thinking it was my keys and just about broke my ear drum! It's instant, so I feel a little more secure having it.

Cathi from MN
Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 AM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi Koenig View Post
Hi, I usually camp with friends but would love to camp alone. Not actually alone but with my collie. Will let you know how this works. I feel it will be safer in state parks where no alcohol is allowed. Good to know there are other ladies out there who love camping

I found a "personal alarm" at the dollar store. When you pull the pin, it makes a really loud sound. In fact one day it was in my pocket and I took it out thinking it was my keys and just about broke my ear drum! It's instant, so I feel a little more secure having it.

Cathi from MN
Hi Cathi from MN! I think that any noise that would draw attention would be a good deterrent, however I am partial to my whistle. I carry it everywhere when out by myself (and dog). I purchased a SPOT recently because I started hiking out in the wilderness areas and it allows me to send out an "I'm OK", "Please send the ranger I'm in trouble", or to press an SOS button. My dad gets a kick out of following my journeys and it gives us all peace of mind when my cell phone won't work (which is most of the time). Have fun camping!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Camper

There is a fairly easy thing you could try that wouldn't be a real "safety" thing but might deter a person from messing around your campsite is put a pair of muddy or old men's boots outside the tent like a man is in there. I mean if someone is wandering through the campground looking for trouble and sees those they may think twice. It couldn't hurt anything but you definitely want a whistle and some mace of some sort.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfulton83 View Post
There is a fairly easy thing you could try that wouldn't be a real "safety" thing but might deter a person from messing around your campsite is put a pair of muddy or old men's boots outside the tent like a man is in there. I mean if someone is wandering through the campground looking for trouble and sees those they may think twice. It couldn't hurt anything but you definitely want a whistle and some mace of some sort.
LOL! I liked the muddy mens boots suggestion! I always set up a couple of chairs. No need for anyone else to know that one is for the dog.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

I suggest a few Bear Traps

Places I have Camped at Civilian/Army
Old 07-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
I suggest a few Bear Traps
hmmmmmmmmmm...what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Did you move south for the summer Joe?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Nope this is my home base

Places I have Camped at Civilian/Army
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Camper

Two words--Air.Horn. I guarantee, you set an air horn off in the middle of the night, you're gonna get some attention--fast! And get yourself a good, big dog. We had a standard poodle, which might not seem too butch. But he was really big, solid black, and extremely loyal. He was sweet as pie, but in the dark all you could see was his teeth. He wasn't much of a barker either, unless someone crossed into my site. Then all hell would break loose. I never had to worry about someone coming up on me when my doggy was with me.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

my wife would say,no one ever raped a 357 mag,with a 2 inch barrel,nothing like six big 158 grain jacketed hollow points to make a point in a hurry.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

Best thing we can do is get educated. I read all kinds of articles on various aspects of any hobby that I am interested in.
As far as camping skills, and dealing with wildlife, there is plenty of info on numerous sites about it so I'm not going to try to condense all of that in there. I will strictly speak as a female security officer about personal security.

Items: As someone suggested, grab some bear spray. Even if it says "not legal to use on humans" or something on the package, get it anyway. If you are dealing with some rapist out in the woods, zig zag the spray across his forehead a couple times. Don't continually spray it on them because the water in it can actually wash the stuff back off. A face full of bear spray should incapacitate the average person long enough for you to run off. Unless they are trained and conditioned to operate through that, they are pretty much going to be stumbling around yelling because of their face feeling like it's on fire. That hopefully will attract more attention.
Second thing is rudeness. If someone is hanging around you and they aren't getting the hint to leave you alone, do not be afraid to be bluntly rude to them. Tell them you really don't like their company and they need to F___ OFF! That works much better than you would imagine. Don't worry about hurting their feelings. Worst thing is, you insult some annoying stranger and he avoids you because he think's you are a bitch. At best, you could discourage him from thinking you are victim material.
Third, take a few martial arts classes. if you are into hiking, rock climbing, and other things the extra exercise and flexibility will do nothing but help you, plus you will gain extra confidence when dealing with strangers, and you will add a few tools for self defense to your bag of tricks.

Situation: Drunk guy wanders into your camp and starts laying his lame mack on you, and you tell him sorry you arent interested and he should go. He ignores this and comes back with the old "you know you want it" line. At this point is where you tell him to go jump in a lake in the bluntest way possible. While you are doing this, reach in your fannypack and put your hands on your bear spray. If he makes any move at you, spray him inthe face with the bear spray, if for some reason he shrugs this off, or lunges out and grabs you, then use whatever nasty tricks you picked up in martial arts. A couple elbows to the eyesockets, throat, nose, etc should make him drop you like a hot potato.

Now this is a extreme example. 99.999% of the guys you run into will usually be pleasant guys who enjoy the outdoors as much as you, but there is an old saying, "to ensure peace, prepare for war".
Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

one loud boom,and most bad guys leave in a hurry,if not make one more loud boom,and bad is no more.