truck tent - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

truck tent

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default truck tent

We just ordered a tent for the back of our truck - does anyone have any experience with this type of tent camping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Don't roll too much or you're going to break your neck.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

You shouldn't drive with it when it's up. Be aware of the limitations for how and what you want to get from it. PRACTICE setting it up several times before using it.

What did you buy?

I have a Camprite by Rightline for my full size Ford truck. I picked it because it had NO floor and is strapped and fastened surrounding the truck bed rails (one set of straps and hooks for the outside to keep out the weather and another set on the inside to keep it attached to the truck bed rails.

We've only used it a couple of times. It's kind of difficult for me to set up because I am short and not used to putting poles in pole pockets at chest level and being at such an advanced age I need to work on upper body strength.

Next time, I will consider setting up the tent poles at ground level then toss it up onto the bed rails for final strapping down, but I haven't tried this.

I picked the model without the floor so when it sits on top of the bed rails it also fits over the folding truck bed cover. The cover is four, 2' long sections, that I can fold back three of them and form a table at the cab and there's plenty of truck bed floor space left over. I also built a platform that creates a completely flat floor side to side and front to back in the truck bed. The 3/4" plywood and carpet platform sits on interlocking 2x10 boards all across the truck bed floor so I do not have to work around the wheel wells and all this can be removed when I am not truck bed tenting. During the day all the sleep gear gets rolled up and stores under the folded back truck bed cover, and the size of the tent is plenty high to move around, get dressed and such.

It does have to get broken down before driving away, but I remove all the poles, place everything on top of the carpeted platform and fold the cover back over the truck bed lock it to hide everything. When I return home it all gets removed until next time.

DW likes being off the ground. The only precaution is not falling off the step ladder to climb into the back of the truck. Fortunately, we are not so debilitated to not handle this and we aren't sleep walkers... ouch!

Last warnings... like all tents it will get warm inside in summer and doesn't insulate in winter at all. The biggest disadvantage is, you aren't going anywhere when it's set up, but you are way off the ground unless someone let's the air out of your tires so when you are asleep you don't have to worry about wet ground under you.

Enjoy!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 01-19-2011 at 04:08 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Honestly I'm fine with just keeping a 22 revolver in the car when we tent camp, then take it with use in to the tent hammer forward safety on. Though I think the .22 is a bit dated for bear . At least it gives a sense of safety on the ground but a good escape plan is always a great idea.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Camping Guru

But a revolver won't protect you from heavy rains as it starts to seep under your tent.

If you decide you want to move to another site, a truck bed tent makes this easy to do by slowly driving over to the new area, and a revolver won't help with that either, unless you have to shoot someone to get it, but that's illegal, last I checked.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

We have done some camping (many moons ago) that involved a mattress in the back of the truck and tent of sorts for a cover. Nothing wrong with it if your comparing it to tent camping on the ground. Gets you up off the ground which is good sometimes.

Couple of years ago we were at a redneck campground around here, of course I fit in pretty good there , but these guys had a huge screen tent set up on the ground, had their pickup truck backed into it, and had duct tape all around it to secure it to the truck bed and keep the skeeters out. Should have got a pic of it!

Ford Mainline
Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
But a revolver won't protect you from heavy rains as it starts to seep under your tent.

If you decide you want to move to another site, a truck bed tent makes this easy to do by slowly driving over to the new area, and a revolver won't help with that either, unless you have to shoot someone to get it, but that's illegal, last I checked.
Normally I check the weather for the area I'm tenting at... I like the radar so that you can make your own decision, no a revolver wont help you with moving your site and it wont help dry your soaked clothes. :P.

If it looks like rain within a day of where we plan on going then we postpone until the next day to see what it looks like.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Camping Guru

This doesn't work in the Sierras or other mountains where I'll be using this. The mountains are known to generate their own weather. The forecasts are inaccurate too many times, especially long range forecasts. I have experienced weather that was 85 degrees and clear skies, then saw dark clouds followed by rain in a matter of a couple of hours. It's beautiful to see but I hate a rainy tent.

I am always prepared for rain and snow when I go camping. I would rather bring the equipment along and not need it, than not bring it along and need it. The truck bed tent just minimizes the messiness. My schedules and planning usually don't allow for changing things and being prepared as comfortable as possible means I endure whatever Mama Nature throws at us. Nothing keeps me away from camping!

You bring up a good point though. I haven't tried scaling the step ladder when it's wet, worse yet, how will my wife do?

I forgot to mention for CTFortner. That's a product now, but it's been improved so that you don't attach it using duct tape. Y'all rednecks ain't so dumb, ya jes have ugly stuff!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL

Last edited by artmart; 01-21-2011 at 12:17 PM..
Old 01-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

That's a fair statement, they do have they're own weather. Its a good point and I've been toying with getting an old F150 and making a slide in camper on the bed with external kitchen that hooks to the bumper with full hookups, tv and sleeping inside.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

i would just sleep in my truck bed,because i have a canopy on it.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY2348 View Post
Honestly I'm fine with just keeping a 22 revolver in the car when we tent camp, then take it with use in to the tent hammer forward safety on. Though I think the .22 is a bit dated for bear . At least it gives a sense of safety on the ground but a good escape plan is always a great idea.
What about a .22 for this bear?
The Kamper Man Blog: Old photo and the biggest brown bear

Seriously now.
That photo is from Kodiak island, a place famous for being populated by the biggest brown bears in North America.

A .22 likely won't work for an adult bear; you are better protected by bear spray and observing all measures needed in bear country. If need a firearms more power is required (I would say .44). Think that most hunters use .30-30 .
Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

^ Yes I realize that.

.22 mag's are powerful but not enough to stop something that big, heck if a bear is determined enough or any other animal it WILL rip your head off regardless of what you shoot it with.

Personally I won't use a gun just because I saw an animal 'unless its hunting season' I would only use one if I was being aggressively charged\stalked.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Smile

Leave your food stuff in the cab of your truck
Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Camping Guru

Depends where you are jennyb. If you leave your food stuff in the cab of your truck in the Eastern Sierras, you are going to end up with a broken truck and a ticket for feeding the animals and not stowing it correctly. I've not only seen pictures of the damage I have seen the damaged vehicles parked near by. It's amazing what a hungry bear can do. Then the other smaller animals that then climb in for whatever is left over. In some areas this can be such a big problem the only solution is the kill the animals. Now how can you blame the animal for your unpreparedness and it will cost them their lives through your ignorance?.

Find out from the park rangers what they recommend or require. You'll be surprised what doesn't work and what does work and the locals are the best source for what to do when you get there.

A truck bed tent means I stow the food in the cab, in containers that can be hidden with blankets (some animals have learned to recognize coolers and will break into a vehicle to get at it.

In bear country, I will probably stow all food stuffs in bear boxes or whatever is set aside for food storage. This goes for a truck bed, tent, ground tent, RV, whatever I use. Where I go, Rangers will often question you and check your gear to make sure you are compliance. No animal will die because I'm not prepared. I will also not hesitate to confront or report anyone who does not want to comply.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyb View Post
Leave your food stuff in the cab of your truck
Follow Art advice on this.

If not bear canisters availables follow old schools and suspend the
food from a tree at a safe distance from the camp. (Some places in Alaska have poles for this purpose). The tree must be at a safe distance of your tent and out of reach of the animal; be aware that black bears are good climbers.

Never in the car or tent,

These fellas have so much sense of smell that even if you dig a hole and put food or scraps they may dig them out. Carful also with the dirty dishes.