truck tent - Page 4 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

truck tent

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

I do most of the cooking at home, so I'm pretty handy in the kitchen. I was just worried about how long my fresh veggies could last in the cooler. Also, I don't mind preparing canned food such as beans, and canned tomatoes are not bad either. But the big problem I see is how to deal with the leftovers once the can is opened... You know, half a can of beans for me is a lot. Some canned soups are quite good and single serving as well. I can do those easily. I don't eat bread so that's easy, except for making sandwiches ... Oatmeal with fruits and nuts is great for breakfast (I eat it nearly every day). Do you suppose that I could take a couple of glass jars with lids and just keep the unused stuff from cans for the next meal? And do eggbeaters holdup well in the cooler? I know that fresh eggs can keep at room temp for a long time, but they might break and make a huge mess..
Also, I think I will practice cooking on the single propane burner before I take it and depend on it alone....

BTW, I love the stop & raid idea I also love to stop at the high end grocery stores and "graze" on the samples they put out. I'm not a huge eater, so oftentimes a few bites of carrot sticks, a chip or 2 and a bit of cheese and such can actually nourish for a bit. Of course, I purchase stuff there as well.

Last edited by silverz51; 09-02-2011 at 04:46 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Veges should last the week depending on consistently you can keep them cool and dry. You might plan another trip to the market to refresh your supplies since you'll be in that area a while.

Most stores will have sections with single serving sizes, allow several days of searching to find them. Even stores like Rite-Aid have been known to carry items you can find. Unfortunately a lot of them are pasta based, but the variety increases all the time.

A 1/4 cup (2 ozs) of egg beaters equals one egg. After the carton is opened it will store for 7 days, then should be tossed but it stores for weeks so it might be better to use 2 small cartons (16 oz equals 8 eggs) rather than one large one so they stay fresher. It would be nice to have real eggs but you are right about the hassle and the storage.

Please consider if you will be hiking the GC at that altitude, this is not the time to cut back on snacks and you should be expected to force yourself to eat more than usual. One of the ironies of medical problems is that as your body starts to crave more and you are not supplying it if you stick to the diet regimen when not being so active, and your body will start shutting down essential body functions to preserve what you have. When someone else you know is with you, they might recognize this and get you to eat more.

Being by yourself, YOU must be conscious that you must eat and eat and eat, if you expect to stay healthy and safe. Same with fluids. I have known too many people who complain that they pee too much and the pooping is poor and this is why. The body wants to keep what little you've got and only get rid of what it has to. If you find this is happening to you, eat more (hopefully it's healthy) and drink even more or you'll become dehydrated.

Sorry about the descriptions and the drama but if you take care of yourself you won't have any of these. I'm just saying.

This has really gone off topic. These conversations should not be under a truck bed topic. Maybe Camping Tips, or something else is probably a better place. Maybe a moderator/administrator can move these things around. You have great questions and I've been trying to provide some advice but this might get lost in this topic.

I wish I could say my advice is because I am a very intelligent guy, but like most of my posts, I've learned from mine or everyone else's experiences (good and bad) in addition to all the research I've done.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 09-02-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Old 09-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Yes, you are right about the thread topic. Maybe a mod will move it or we can take it elsewhere. I still want to keep this going because I need to learn a s much as possible before heading out. I wont be able to get internet once I've started on my trip because the iPhone just wont do for these forums....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I understand. I just wanted to ensure that the admins know we are not doing the forum a service by hiding camping suggestions in this topic and that if they'd move it, we can continue from there.

I recall you also posted your trip plan changes as another topic and we could possibly use that, too. The point being that adding more posts for a topic about truck tents could disappoint forum users finding these posts instead since they are (as important, but...) no longer relevant.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 09-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Absolutely right! Can you ask a mod to move these posts to a more appropriate thread?