truck tent - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

truck tent

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
_
Camper Type: None

You might know that people hiking in the forests are encouraged to wear little bells on them to warn bears about their presence, as bears might attack if they are surprised. Pepper spray is supposed to be used as last defense. In outdoor education people are also taught the difference between black bear and grizzly scat, as it might come in handy to identify the kind of bear in the area. Black bear scat has lots of seeds from wild berries in it, grizzly scat has shreds of textiles and small bells in it and smells like pepper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

I'm not so sure that the bells will work for long after some bears has got used to them and getting closer to us for food. Last month I wrote an entry about this in my blog (Bells for bears?)

Check this article published by The Anchorage Daily News about some tests done with bells by the guys from the U.S. Geological Survey's Alaska Science Center. (A group of bears ignored the sounds).

The results are not definitive but looks like as all other animal they may get conditioned by repetitive experiences (the pavlov effect).
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

[quote=artmart;10740]Depends where you are jennyb. If you leave your food stuff in the cab of your truck in the Eastern Sierras, you are going to end up with a broken truck and a ticket for feeding the animals and not stowing it correctly. I've not only seen pictures of the damage I have seen the damaged vehicles parked near by. It's amazing what a hungry bear can do. Then the other smaller animals that then climb in for whatever is left over. In some areas this can be such a big problem the only solution is the kill the animals. Now how can you blame the animal for your unpreparedness and it will cost them their lives through your ignorance?.

Find out from the park rangers what they recommend or require. You'll be surprised what doesn't work and what does work and the locals are the best source for what to do when you get there.

I totally agree with you. Just don't leave it out in your campsite. At the campground we frequent up north, you wouldn't believe the number of campers that keep food in their screen tents, on picnic tables and in their tents. It's crazy. I do totally agree with you especially asking in unfamiliar areas. It's a good point to remember, don't think I would have thought of it that way, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiestcamper View Post
You might know that people hiking in the forests are encouraged to wear little bells on them to warn bears about their presence, as bears might attack if they are surprised. Pepper spray is supposed to be used as last defense. In outdoor education people are also taught the difference between black bear and grizzly scat, as it might come in handy to identify the kind of bear in the area. Black bear scat has lots of seeds from wild berries in it, grizzly scat has shreds of textiles and small bells in it and smells like pepper.
Love that, too funnylol
Old 03-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Camper

Default Tent camping with truck

I don't know if I've ever seen a tent on the back of a truck. I see the toppers all the time. To be honest, I think that anytime your tent is off of the ground you are better off from critters, weather etc. Probably a good way to camp

Last edited by ctfortner; 03-21-2011 at 07:16 AM..
Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyb View Post
Love that, too funnylol
Yeah that was pretty good haha...
I'd rather hold a .357 or 45 with FMJ rounds and be safe if I need to be instead of go around hugging trees and end up dead.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY2348 View Post
Yeah that was pretty good haha...
I'd rather hold a .357 or 45 with FMJ rounds and be safe if I need to be instead of go around hugging trees and end up dead.

This is funny too!
I agree 100%. Some people like to pull out statistics and probabilities but, because wildlife attacks are low, it doesn't exclude you from being next in line. You just need to be in the wrong spot, at the wrong time, and with the wrong animal.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Hi fellow campers. New camper here in Georgia. I realize this forum is about the opposite corner of the US, but it's the place where I found this thread about truck tents. I have a dream to take a road trip to the AZ/NM/UT/Co corner and camp along the way. I just purchased a truck tent and plan to use my old F150 to travel in.

I'm sure that I'm about the get a real education about truck tent camping and camping in general, but I have reasoned that the truck tent would give me a lot of flexibility to camp in dispersed areas and sites that might not be really nice to pitch a tent on. I figure to carry enough rope and tarps to cover the whole thing in case it rains and will have enough room in the cab and in the bed (which will be covered) to carry whatever I need. I don't know about big bears, in the South all you see are black bears and although they can be pests, they are not likely to stalk and kill you. I plan to take my 9mm Glock just in case, but I believe if a big bear decided to attack me, the 9mm will only piss it off . Maybe I should trade it for a 357 or 44 magnum...

Anyway, I had hoped that other people have had experience with these truck tents and would educate and advise me with their knowledge and experience. The tent I got is a Sportz III that I bought locally from a guy for $140. It's practically new and looks spiffy enough and quite inviting. I set it up in my driveway for the first time and it took about 28 minutes. Take down was 18 minutes. I'm sure it will be quicker the next time.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Here are a couple of more pics showing the access door....

Here is the tent with the rain fly installed...

Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I picked the Camp-Right because I didn't want a tent floor. The C-R fits completely and hangs over my Ford F-250 long truck bed side rails and wraps around the tailgate so that's it's not possibly to get rain under it and into the truck bed at all. I believe it's got a lot more head room than the Sportz, too. This turned out to be a benefit that I will describe later.

I couldn't use a tent floor because my truck bed has fifth wheel hitch rails and not having a truly flat bed means these rails would interfere with the tent floor or any bedding. What I did to avoid the bed rails is built a 2x10 system of crossbeams to raise the truck bed to be level with the wheel wells. Then 4 pieces of 1/4" plywood covered with carpet creates an elevated platform completely flat throughout the truck bed. Even with the 10 3/4" height of the truck bed floor the C-R tent still provides enough headroom because of overhead height. Imagine without the platform you gain almost another foot in height, but I don't have that luxury because of the bed rails and I wanted to be above the wheel rails for more elbow room. I'll post some pictures next time it's set up. By the way, I plan to create hinged doors into the 4 pieces of plywood for storage of the camping gear.

I do have to agree the big drawback to truck bed tents is they do take a while to set up mostly because my truck bed rails are so high and when installing the poles you are at a much higher distance off the ground to install the poles and being only 5' 9" means I am operating a lot higher off the ground than what I'm used to and getting the structural poles into their "pockets" can be challenging. I'm gonna work on this procedure and I think I will assemble the tent THEN put it on the truck bed rails.

Just remember that using a truck bed tent on your truck means you aren't driving your truck anywhere while it's up. There are truck bed tents that allow for this but they are beyond my price range and not as roomy inside. Realize what you're getting and how it can be used, and I hope you are as happy as I am. If I need to drive the truck after setting up a tent, I use the conventional set up on the ground type of tent.

Nice pictures, silversz51. I like the awning. I don't have one, but can probably rig one up in the future.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 07-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

That looks like a great setup Silverz. I agree it looks very inviting, thanks for the pics.

Ford Mainline
Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Thanks! I was right pleased with myself after scoring the tent and actually setting it up . My hope is to find like minded folks with similar setups to get some info & advise.

I am looking for a stove right now and probably some sort of tableto cook on and a chair. Probably after all the bear talk, I'll just wolf down some cold beans and go inside the tent and cower

I do have another question for the gun owners out there. When I bought my weapon, it came with 3 magazines loaded with some hollow point ammo. I don't know what the brand or type it might be. I'd appreciate it if somebody could idemtify it.. They have silver casings and a JHP projectile. In the bottom they are marked "9MM FC LUGER"

Thanks!

Last edited by silverz51; 07-27-2011 at 02:56 PM..
Old 07-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I know we got off-topic with the bear conversations, but I recommend you should have created a new topic to talk about guns and ammo.

In my 30 years of backpacking, hiking, tent camping, and RVing I've had bear encounters but never had to shoot them. Mostly because I don't have a gun. I just felt I haven't needed one. I'll bank on my training and experience to still not continue to surprise a bear. I've even see bears in Canada, Alaska, California and Montana but from a distance. I hope one never has to be shot or killed on my account. I don't think I'm being considerate enough if I visit their homeland, then have to shoot them.

On that note, I know you take your gun along for target practice and not for taking the life of a bear.

So about that stove. You might try a new topic and discuss what you're looking for features and sizewise.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 07-28-2011 at 12:16 AM..
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Thanks for the input. You are right and I was uneasy about posting the questions unrelated to the topic, even if it had already gone off in another direction I'll start a new thread or find a more appropriate one.
BTW, you are right about not wanting to kill any bears (or anything else for that matter). I take the pistol strictly for protection. I wont do any shooting even to targets while I'm traveling. Frankly, I dread even the thought of having to use deadly force against anything or anyone...
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

why not just have a canopy?