Tent camping with small kids? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Tent camping with small kids?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Default Tent camping with small kids?

Have anyone been tent camping with young babies of 1-3 years? Any tips? Is it a bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM

We started when we were babies with our parents. And I started my grandchildren very young. So I think the earlier children start camping, the better. There is so much for them to learn and experience.

But a couple safety points that I think are important are:

1. It is harder now to keep track of the little ones. When they are at home, they are locked in the house but when camping they are outside so you do need to keep a watchful eye at all times. For babies, I would recommend keeping them in a play pen type corral so that they do not accidently wander off or get into any sort of danger.

2. I think taking a campsite close to any water (pool or lake) is a mistake for small children. Children are drawn to water and they move so quickly. If the water is out of site, they won't be thinking about it.

3. Make a checklist long in advance and use it everytime you pack for camping. Include things such as infant aspirin, sun block, diaper rash ointment, sun hats, bathing suits, body cream, wipes or extra face cloths. Basically your list should include things that are needed regular that you might not think to pack as well as things that you cannot go out in the night to purchase like when at home.

I see so many people with children and I think babies and young children can enjoy the trip as much as everyone.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 AM

Quote:
2. I think taking a campsite close to any water (pool or lake) is a mistake for small children. Children are drawn to water and they move so quickly. If the water is out of site, they won't be thinking about it.
I agree with all of your suggested precautions but the above listed must be followed. A little carelessness can turn into a blunder. Kids and babies are more prone to such activities because more often they don't know what they are going to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Yeah, we didnt take our little one near the water sites until she was about 5. Still young, but she knows what she shouldnt do for the most part, and usually adheres to that. However, we dont let her out of our sight for a second. We dont step foot in the camper without one of us watching her, or she comes in with us. There is no 2nd chances when it comes to our little ones, you can never be too cautious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I agree with all of your suggested precautions but the above listed must be followed. A little carelessness can turn into a blunder. Kids and babies are more prone to such activities because more often they don't know what they are going to do.

Ford Mainline
Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 AM

It is hard and very dangerou to keep kids of 1 to 3 years in camping . You have to do a lot to keep the kids safe and sound . If you keep on caring the kids you may ruin the pleasure of the camping . It would be better not to go on camping with the kids of this age .
Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
It would be better not to go on camping with the kids of this age .

While everyone certainly has his or her own opinions and I respect that, I think camping with children is a life experience just like other things they do. Even going to school can be dangerous but we send them everyday.

I have had many frights with the children when camping but I would also say I had many at home just in different ways. I remember about ten years ago, I was taking care of my girlfriend's child for a week.

I decided to take him to my parents' trailer because he had never camped. He was outside with my father and I was in the trailer. My parents had just given him a signed baseball bat for his birthday and obviously he was excited.

My father came back in and I asked where the boy was. We couldn't find him and he was there just an instant before. We searched for a good fifteen minutes and I had that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Then the neighbor said the child was there. He had gone down to the people's about five lots down because he knew my father had been down there the night before.

It is true I was frantic but would I stop camping with children - NO - but I gave him a good lecture. He still had a wonderful time and the trip was worth it.

Last edited by campingforfun; 01-11-2008 at 02:01 PM..
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM

I agree about it not being a good idea when they are young. The older ones is easier to camp with. They are more likely to stay together. They can also help to remember which roads you were on. Being close to a lake is less threatening. They know how to swim.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 AM

Default camping with kids

My kids have been camping since birth and I never had any problems, In fact I thought it was easier than being home...they would play in the dirt and exhaust themselves and they slept so well in the fresh air. I brought along a playpen for when I needed to cook. I flew from Texas one summer to San Francisco and then drove 8 hours to camp out in a tent with my family for a week. My daughter was 3 and my son was 6 monthes old. I say start them young. I think it would be hard to introduce camping to an older kid, if they grow up in a tent...it's not a big deal. Why don't you try it in the backyard first? Or a campground close by just for one night
Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 PM

The first time we took our kids camping my daughter was 3 1/2 and the boys were 2 1/2. We had a walk in site so we didn't have to worry about cars and we were close to the showerhouse. We also kept a small potty available in case my daughter wauted until the last minute to tell us she had to go. It was very busy that first time, but the next time the boys were content to play in the dirt with trucks and plastic animals. My daughter still drives me nuts bacause she never stops talking, but she is like that at home too. We've taken them 3 times and are planning another trip this summer. I would aviod sites with water access at this age.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Camping Guru

Welcome to the site plaz70

If your kids enjoy being outdoors, I am sure they will love camping. It creates memories they will never forget. Did your family camp growing up as well, or is camping new to all of you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaz70 View Post
The first time we took our kids camping my daughter was 3 1/2 and the boys were 2 1/2. We had a walk in site so we didn't have to worry about cars and we were close to the showerhouse. We also kept a small potty available in case my daughter wauted until the last minute to tell us she had to go. It was very busy that first time, but the next time the boys were content to play in the dirt with trucks and plastic animals. My daughter still drives me nuts bacause she never stops talking, but she is like that at home too. We've taken them 3 times and are planning another trip this summer. I would aviod sites with water access at this age.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailfire99 View Post
Welcome to the site plaz70

If your kids enjoy being outdoors, I am sure they will love camping. It creates memories they will never forget. Did your family camp growing up as well, or is camping new to all of you?
We camped as a family at local state parks in the summer during my grade school years, but it was new to my husband. He loves to fish and hike though so I knew he would like camping too. The kids love it too.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:15 PM

When you have babies and you are camping, a playpen is probably the way to go. It's kept in one place, and has walls that are safe. They can still enjoy the sunshine and your company. Now that my children are older, the thing I do: When I go to a store, I count 1, 2, 3, and 4. It's to make sure I have everyone. The we can go.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

I am just now taking my kids tent camping and they will be 5 1/2 and 7 1/2. I COULD NOT have handled it any sooner.

Some kids would be awesome to take. My one friends two year old is so mellow. He is happy to hang out on her hip or stuck to her leg. He doesn't fuss or cry...etc. He is a joy to take anywhere!!!

My kids would not have done well. I couldn't take them to a friend's house because they would find the ONLY thing that was a choking hazard in the whole house and put it in their mouths!

They both crawled before they were six months old and walked by nine months. I was chasing toddlers and keeping them outta trouble for 5 solid years since they were two years apart and it took till the youngest was 3 to be able to trust them enough to not watch them constantly.

Tent camping is a lot of work just to set up your site and keep everything going with limited resources... add to that having to hawkeye little kids to keep them safe and I wouldn't have enjoyed the time at all!

I did rent cabins at the local state park within driving distance of my house so that we could get them used to all those things that you have to start them on young:

1. Fire ashes on your food
2. Not rubbing your eyes with bug spray on your hands
3. Groping around blindly in the dark when the lantern runs out.

You know... all that stuff that makes camping, camping, and not just moving your house into the woods for a visit!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Camping Fanatic

I understand what you mean. We have a pretty hyper child too!! She walked at 10 months. She has been going since 4. She loves the outdoors though, so as long as we keep her busy doing something, she is happy. I usually fish with her, and we go bike riding, walking, playing on the playground, etc... We build a fire, cook some hot dogs, make some smores. As long as she has something to do, she is happy.

Ford Mainline
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 AM

Default Older is Better

I can agree about older children being more ready to camp. My brothers were very laid back when we camped and every day. But we had some friends with 3 boys and 2 girls. Those boys wouldn't stand still for any reason. They had to watched all the time. Because they were always getting into something they shouldn't. That can be true for a boy or a girl, equally.