Kodiak Canvas Tent - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Kodiak Canvas Tent

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MacGyver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Camper

Question Kodiak Canvas Tent

Howdy Y'all!
I've been reading through some of these pages and am still stumped: Those of you that use a "secured to the ground with tent pegs" type of tent on a platform--how do you anchor it down?
I have a 10x14 Kodiak Flex-Bow tent and I want to put it on a 10 x 20 platform...how should I secure it to the wood? I have a couple of ideas (not that they're good ones!) but I'd really like to hear from someone that's done it before....
Suggestions appreciated...

many thanks!!
ispinwool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 02:51 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

I guess it's safe to assume you're talking about a platform for public use, not one of your own. So, yeah, your "not good idea" is just that and not to be done. Somewhere in my running around the Internet, looking for my next MacGyvering project, I know I've seen anchors that go between boards - some little doohickies that slide between the boards and get turned 90 degrees. BUT - that would require two things. 1. There would have to be enough room between boards for them to fit and 2. (the real killer) they would have to line up with all the peg loops all the way around the tent. On top of that, you'd be trying to put a 10 foot wide tent on a 10 foot wide platform which leads to to believe the loops would be hanging off the sides a bit, further complicating the anchor solution.

No, I've never done what follows, but there was a time before I discovered Spax bolts, that I was trying to come up a way to simplify/speed up pegging down my 10x10. So, if you're really bent on doing it, never let it be said that I didn't try to offer a solution. This is an adaptation of the frame I had in mind. It could be a bit tricky to put together, but I'm picturing 1x3 or 1x4 boards - preferably some hardwood like oak - with threaded wood anchors (see picture) spaced apart where the peg loops are, clamped to the platform as needed and where needed with C-clamps or Jorgenson type clamps, and using short bolts and washers in place of the pegs. The end result might look pretty crazy, but I think it might actually do the trick.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:44 AM
Camper

Thanks MacGyver. Your info gives me "something to chew on"

I guess I should have provided more details...yes, this is my own platform perched on my own (and my husband's) 30 acres in the middle of nowhere. We bought it ages ago and are finally getting driveways installed and a LOT of mowing so it's usable.

I was considering using something like a "pigtail screw-in hook" (I can't get a picture to paste) along the outside of the frame (which can be any size I want/need--I was just thinking that the rain would run off the tent and not get under the tent if the tent ended where the platform begins ....well on 3 sides anyway).

And it's very possible that, after all my planning, questions, head-scratching and calculating, hubby will go off and buy a camper. Who knows! After 38 years together, he still likes to shock me once in a while! LOL!!

Last edited by ispinwool; 08-30-2019 at 05:47 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 03:06 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

You're welcome. I thought you were talking about a public use platform and using screws to peg down your tent. Yeah - that would be a big no-no. But, since it's yours we're talking about that does change this considerably. In that case, my suggestion of using threaded anchors made of brass with short bolts and fender washers would be very easy to do. Just put the anchors wherever the peg loops are and you're good to go.

The only thing I can picture as a "pigtail screw-in hook" would be the anchors used to put dogs on leashes out in the yard. If I'm right, I can tell you from experience they're not as easy to deal with as you might think - especially if you're dealing with rocky soil.

If the tent is properly seasoned and/or waterproofed, I can't see water being a problem unless my impression that you're looking to make this a somewhat long term setup is correct. If that's the case, I strongly advise against it. Kodiak also recommends not to do it on their website. A guy on another forum left his outside for a few months in all kinds of weather and it basically disintegrated. Aside from normal weather changes, I'm pretty sure UV degradation had something to do with it, although he never did say much about it other than that it was trashed.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:04 AM
Camper

Thanks for the info!! (sorry for the tardy reply--I had 3 'end of month' tax reports to get done)

...I "was" gonna leave it up for the summer...now I'm not so sure.

Maybe I'll be the one shocking my hubby and buying the camper!
I bet my kids won't mind using the tent any time they want to.

**just curious: would you know what the difference is between one of those canvas hunting camp tents and the Kodiak? Heavier canvas? Different weatherproofing? I did see where a lady photographer set up her Kodiak for an extended time and it rotted but I kinda figured it was because it was sitting on the ground, not on a platform.

Oh well, in any case...back to the drawing board!
Old 09-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

You're welcome. Since you're looking for a long term setup, a camper is probably a good way to go for your situation. As far as the canvas Kodiak uses, this is from their website:
Quote:
Kodiak Canvas tents are made with a superior, marine-grade, 100% cotton duck, Hydra-ShieldTM canvas. What is Hydra-Shield Canvas? It is a custom woven and treated canvas ideal for the purpose of premium tent making. It is double-fill (two threads twisted together for superior strength, durability, and a very tight weave). It has a silicone, dry-finish treatment that is watertight, breathable, and durable. It also resists mold and mildew.
How that Hydra-Shield differs from another company's product is anybody's guess.
ispinwool likes this.