2-tree tent invention - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

2-tree tent invention

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Camper

Default 2-tree tent invention

Originator of kitesurfing and inventor Bruno Legaignoux unveals his new invention : the 2-tree tent !
The idea came to him after a bad experience while trekking in low-altitude mountains where he could not find a flat place to install his tent before dusk... while trees were numerous.
This tent can be installed in minutes between two trees. Comfort is incomparable to ground tents and hammocks.
In case there are no trees nor poles in the area you can still set it up on the ground.
Bruno offers his unprotected inventions in an open-source spirit. Brands are welcome to use them !
Much more details on the 2-tree tent at www.brunoinventions.com/tree-tent.html
Attached Thumbnails
2-tree tent invention-20190505_120217.jpg  

2-tree tent invention-20190505_120149.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

I definitely love it when people experiment to come up with new products. But a single axis suspension on anything wider than a hammock would need a LOT of guylines to make it stable enough for me to even think about it. And, looking at that bottom photo with the bulge at the bottom leaves me thinking there's no way to get anything close to a flat sleeping surface.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Camper

This tent is "rock stable" because it is on 2 axis, the bottom/floor one and the roof one.
This prototype is a proof of concept made with cheap and light tarpaulin (cost of the proto: 5$). Using strong materials like on the Tentsile will allow a much "flatter" floor... like the Tensile.
Additionnally most people don't like a "flat sleeping surface" like ground or board, they prefer something that adapts itself to their body (foam mattress, inflatable mattress...)

Last edited by brunolgx; 06-09-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 06:18 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

As someone who has been hanging tarps over his tents for 40 years, I can't see how the roof line would keep the tent "rock steady" unless it's being tensioned with anything less than steel cable and a come-a-long. I've used nylon ratchet straps to hang an 18 x 24 tarp and the ridge line still bows and flexes - and that's under just the weight of a tarp, not a human with gear.

As far as the floor goes, I'll admit that I'm no physics major or an engineer of any sort, but I have been Macgyvering (hence the nick) camping gear for ages. That's given me some idea of how things work. The Tenstile tents get their floor rigidity from a three axis stretch, not necessarily from the quality of the fabric. Merely pulling from two ends does nothing to keep the sides from curling up under weight. You can see that from how hammocks hang and how you have to sleep diagonally to get something closer to flat rather than bowed in the middle. Unless the sides of the tent are meant to be draped loosely on the sides as is done with the netting under hammock tarps, doing that in a tent would throw off its geometry, leading to bows and creases that could potentially affect its weather resistance.

Please don't take this as my trashing your idea. Again - I love when people explore new ideas. We'd still be sleeping on the ground if no one ever took the time to think things through to make sleeping/shelter better. If I'm missing something here, I'd be the first to hold my hand up and say I was wrong.