Sorta New to Camping - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Sorta New to Camping

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Camper

Default Sorta New to Camping

So, I'm sorta new to camping...or "new again" to camping. I grew up camping with my parents...but my only responsibility was to have fun and aggravate my brother and sister.

My most recent camping experience is when I bicycle tour, but in another week I'll be heading to a campground for a week of solitude and rest. As i make my plans and get everything ready a few questions, that aren't so relevant to my bicycle touring experiences, have come up.

SO, MY QUESTIONS...
First, what advice do you have for keeping food...meat, in particular...cold for a week?

Second, I'll have a shelter set up to cook under (hoping to avoid some of this oppressive heat we have been having). In the evening, to avoid critters, I'll put my cooler in my car, but what kind of things do you/can you leave out without a problem? Stove, pots/pans, plates, etc...?

Well, that's probably it...for right now. Nothing too major, but things I haven't had to worry with on my bicycle. Thanks in advance for your help!

- PastorJoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Hi Pastor Joe. Canned stuff like spam, tuna, chicken breast and Dinty-more stew. I'm off to Alaska for 2 weeks next month out in the back country. There is precooked bacon that can stay out for a week and I'm bringing powered milk and powered eggs. I will have some frozen meat but will use it up first as it thaws. Freeze dried is good but too expensive for my trip (4 people/2weeks)
Pots and pans, ect. should be ok as long as they are clean but I will be storing mine in an old Army foot locker back of the truck just in case.
Hope you have a great time and let me know how it went

Paco
Old 06-05-2019, 10:05 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Canned or packaged meats, beef jerky to use when you run out of cool. Freeze steaks, chicken, pork, and put in the bottom of a good cooler and cover with something, then put up to 10 lbs of dry ice on top. Put first to be eaten meat on top of the dry ice with any drinks you take. You can also put some ice cubes on top and they should keep to use in drinks, etc. Eat chicken first, then pork, then beef as the dry ice runs out, usually in 3 to 5 days, then eat the packaged stuff. Keep food in the vehicle, and only leave clean pots and pans outside as Raccoons and armadillos will make a lot of noise and wake you up if they smell garbage or food. I once left a new sealed loaf of bread on a picknick table and birds destroyed it. When not on a river, or way out, I have gone to a nearby town to get more ice or fresh food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 02:43 PM
Camper

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help! Heading out tomorrow afternoon and it should be a great, though a bit wet, week!

- PJ
Old 06-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Wet is good for reading

But not so good for cooking or grilling. Hopefully you have a great spot to relax and a table canopy for being dryer. We have a tow behind camper now so we can cook inside or under the awing during rainy seasons.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonheise View Post
But not so good for cooking or grilling. Hopefully you have a great spot to relax and a table canopy for being dryer. We have a tow behind camper now so we can cook inside or under the awing during rainy seasons.
Actually, I'm hoping the rain is good for reading...and not just because it's in forecast. This is actually not a vacation week...though I do hope to relax and get some mountain biking in. As a pastor I get some leave time for professional development, and so I have actually planned a spiritual retreat...quite a bit of reading planned!!!! And hopefully my tent and my canopy/awning will keep me dry and comfortable!

- PJ
Old 07-15-2019, 01:03 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

The one thing that I will never leave behind is a sleeping bag or camping blanket and a pack of matches. Both of them are very essential.