Buyer Use Caution... - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

Buyer Use Caution...

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Babstreefern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 05:54 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Buyer Use Caution...

We were looking for a lighter alternative to our 75 lb Kodiak Flex Box VX tent for quick get aways and ordered a PahaQue Promontory 8XD from Newegg.com via this link found in a google search:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The price is $230 which is quite a bargain for a $550 tent (it has since gone up a bit I guess through demand and supply). I received it yesterday and upon unboxing it I found a factory box from PahaQue marked as having a Green Mountain 6XD inside. The GM is no where near the quality of the Promontory. The similarity ends at the 10 X 12 size. I didn't open the factory box fearing there would be a restocking fee or at the worse a refusal for return since the package was opened. I photographed the unopened factory box.

After trying to contact Newegg and seeing I was #114 in line for live chat, I sent an email to customer service since calling put me into a voice mail system. I also sent an email to the supplier Mounting Solutions Plus as they have no live chat and again the phone attempt went to voicemail. I did hear back for Newegg customer service and they did send an email to the supplier pointing them to their mistake. I somehow think this will not end with the supplier making an exchange and I will NOT keep this tent. As a matter of fact, if I wanted this particular tent I could have ordered it directly from PahaQue and with the end of season discount purchased it for $186.75 with free shipping.

I just wanted to post this as a word of caution to anyone who may come across this listing at Newegg and may be looking for a good quality tent at a good price. I don't want anyone to be disappointed and have to deal with the same thing I am currently experiencing. Hopefully this was just an honest mistake and I will receive the Promontory and a prepaid return shipping label for the Green Mountain. Time will tell. It is probably wise to call this order in to ensure that you receive what you think you are ordering. Let me say I am no way suggesting that this was anything more than a mistake at this point. I just wanted to post this to forewarn anyone who may see this tent available and decide to purchase it. I am hoping it all works out and understand it takes time.

Last edited by mick; 11-10-2018 at 07:11 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Sorry for your troubles Mick. This is why I will never buy online unless absolutely necessary and as a last resort. Is there no "contacts" where you could find their nearest outlet (if they have one and not on the other side of the country), and take it to them personally?
Old 11-13-2018, 07:27 AM
Camper

Follow up... The Newegg.com company that fulfilled our purchase of what we thought was a Pahaque Promontory relying on the listing "Mounting Solutions Plus" has responded that the listing was erroneous and due to a misread UPC code. They refuse to supply the Promontory that was listed for sale that I purchased. They will, of course, take the tent back and have sent me a USPS shipping label for that purpose. I am skeptical of their customer service as I watched this item for at least a week before purchasing and saw the price increase which is usually indicative of supply shrinking. I did notice the price increased after I purchased one. After my email it was marked as "out of stock" later that afternoon. I would hope that it was out of stock because it was an erroneous listing rather than some poor soul buying what they thought was a Promontory yet receiving a Green Mountain. I would also feel badly if the person(s) who may have received the Green Mountains instead of the Promontories did not have enough experience to notice the difference in tents. The Promontory and the Green Mountain actually look identical and are both 10 X 12 but the similarity ends about there. As a matter of fact, anyone can go on Pahaque's website and with the Fall18 discount buy a Green Mountain for about $185 and free shipping which is $55 less than Mounting Solutions Plus is charging for the Green Mountain listed as a Promontory. So in the end, we don't have a Promontory, yet, but have certainly notified Jeff Basford and Mike Greaves over at Pahaque of the experience. Pahaque is a wonderful company that goes above and beyond to provide excellent products with even better customer service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Camper

11/282018 Follow up.. We did receive the Pahaque Promontory tent from another distributor at the request of the original seller at Newegg.com, "Mounting Solutions Plus".. As fate would have it, a day after we received it, a day of rain was predicted so the wife and I took the opportunity to set it up in the back portion of our property. The storm that came through the next day was not a soft, gentle rain. It was a pounding rain with some gusty winds that blew the rain sideways. All in all I would say we got close to 2" of rain throughout the day. The next morning, the Promontory was still standing and I gave the wife the honors of checking it for leaks. She came back after doing so with thumbs up and said there was just one little drip by one of the side doors and the rest of the tent was bone dry. I checked that side door and found that we had not closed the protective cover entirely so I am hoping this allowed that small bit of rain to blow in through the no see um mesh. We kept the Promontory up to dry out with the intent of taking it down today but that didn't happen. We have had steady 15 mph winds here all day with gusts at times going to 35 mph. A good test for those aluminum tent poles I figure. So far so good. Three of the tent guy lines did come untied at the hooks but I retied them. It seems whomever was in charge of guy line tying may need a refresher course at Pahaque. Had we not been home and glancing out at the tent every so often and those guy lines were left untethered to the stakes it could have been a different story but the Promontory is holding up to some fairly good wind. Hopefully we will be able to tear it down tomorrow and store it away. I did notice some discoloration on the rain fly in a couple of areas when it was wet. I am hoping these areas are not weak links in the weatherproofing of the fly. It didn't seem to have any issues with the rain we had. I attached a photo of it but I don't think I was able to fully capture the discoloration. This photo was taken before the rain had started and there are a couple of spots that have darkened for some reason overnight after it was set up (condensation under the fly?). Just above the triangle tie out and in the left corner of the rain fly and also on the window covering. At first I thought it was bird crap so I went out with a damp cloth to wipe it down but then noticed it wasn't bird crap at all and after wiping the discoloration remained...
Attached Thumbnails
Buyer Use Caution...-staining-good-photo.jpg  

Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Glad everything worked out. Now you know that no matter what weather is thrown at you, you'll survive
Old 12-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Camper

Thanks. Yes, it did work out. We now have a long and short term shelter that should hold up to all kinds of conditions. Looking forward to putting them to use once the nights get more temperate. High 20's is not good for these old 69 year old bones.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:18 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Same over here. Its damp and cold. Our first outing will be beginning of April when we go to Cambridgeshire. Sometimes we go out in March to Buxton in Derbyshire for a couple of days as its only an hour's drive, just to make sure that everything is working after the caravan has been laid over the winter
mick likes this.