I really Need a New Tent...Suggestions? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

I really Need a New Tent...Suggestions?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default I really Need a New Tent...Suggestions?

We need a new tent. Ours is a 10+ year old cabin tent and we just got home from camping and it leaks...top and bottom. There are only the 2 of us, plus usually a couple dogs. So here is what I am looking for

1. 2 rooms, 1 for a place to sleep, and 1 for a table and a place for our
"Stuff ".
2. Easy to set up, take down, and stuff in its storage bag.
3. Dome or cabin...really don't matter, although I like dome tents.
4. Waterproof......Duh.
5. Tough and durable.

I just dont want to go out and buy a Dud so I am asking for suggestions. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

We saw this one at Bass Pro Shop 2 weeks ago... its really nice and because its instant the poles are already installed! Very cool!

Coleman 8-Person, 2-Room Instant Tent
Old 09-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Camper

We have been using the Columbia Cougar Flats 2 tent for two years now and would definitely recommend it. It's 10x15 - very roomy, two rooms separated by a sewn in divider, makes it easy to keep the sleeping area clean. First time setting it up in our backyard to test it, it took us about 30-40 minutes, but after that it gets faster and faster. In fact, the second time we set up the tent, my husband had left the instructions at home and we rather easily set up the tent without instructions at dusk. Putting it away isn't a big deal because it comes with a really great storage bag that has wheels, plus it's expandable so even if you don't get the tent rolled tight, it will still fit easily.

The only issues we've had with rain was after 12+hrs of intense rain while camping in the Adirondacks. There were a few tablespoons of water that seeped in in a few spots from the thread holes where the stake loops are sewn in to the bottom of the tent. We'd forgotten to use the seam sealant there and after taking care of that, we haven't had any issues. It's withstood lots of windy conditions and held up great. Definitely seam seal the seams that aren't taped and always properly stake out the rainfly.

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Camper

Default Kingdom 6

Have you looked at REI? I purchased the REI Kingdom 6 this past summer and love it. Although, it says it sleeps 6 I would beg to differ the comfort of that number. It is very comfortable for 4. It has 2 rooms that can be separated by zipping down the divider. My sister and I in one room with her twins age 15 in the other room. They had their privacy as we did.

Also, I used it on another trip and there were only 2 of us and we had plenty of room for us and gear in the tent. Not only that I am able to stand up in this tent with no problem. I believe the highest peak pt. is 6'2". The tent goes into a backpack like bag that is easy to move from car to set up spot.

The only problem that I saw with this tent is not enough stakes. There are only 8 and you really need more for the rainfly setup. Otherwise I found this tent easy to setup and take down. I also, added the vestibule and footer for the total package. There is a vestibule on the rainfly but you can add another vestibule at the other end. See attachment of a picture of the tent.
Happy camping.
Attached Thumbnails
I really Need a New Tent...Suggestions?-kingdom-6.jpg  

Old 10-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

You should consider going to a storee like dicks or galyans or cabelas. They all usually have a very extensive collection of tents. Also I mentioned early in another post, if you are on a tight budget, Sams always has a great selection of bigger tents that you can get for a relatively cheap price.

Canopy

Last edited by jounderw; 10-09-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Be careful of paying to low of a price. Very few of these survive the first night. Too many of them have been known to tear or the zippers break on first outing use and you are at your campground, too far a way to return it and now you're stuck.

You should set up a new tent several times right after you get if from the store. PLEASE remember how it was packed so you can get it back into its container. Hopefully any early failures will be determined at that time and you'll be able to take it back before you need it.

You'll find that when trying to keep the costs down, the quality of the stakes is the first to go. Be prepared to buy additional or better stakes. Too many tents come with the skinny hooked type that bend when you are pounding them into hard ground. You can't always know what you will have as your tent surface.

I also recommend you get a "free-standing" tent for this same reason. Besides being able to lift overheard to clean them out, they allow you to set up on hard surfaces. DON'T forget the ground cloth (aka "footprint") to protect the bottom of your tent.

Last edited by artmart; 10-06-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Popup

If you really enjoy camping alot, I would suggest a tent camper. These are relatively inexpensive for a used one, especially if you look in the offseason. These RV types store very easily and can be stored in a fabric shelter.

Last edited by ctfortner; 03-15-2011 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: If you want to advertise this, contact the admin.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Probably you already got your new tent, but taking about brand I would have suggested the Kelty models. They are good, reliable, and don't carry the popularity price tag of TNF (The North Face).
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Camper

Smile

[quote=vee;9391]We have been using the Columbia Cougar Flats 2 tent for two years now and would definitely recommend it. It's 10x15 - very roomy, two rooms separated by a sewn in divider, makes it easy to keep the sleeping area clean. First time setting it up in our backyard to test it, it took us about 30-40 minutes, but after that it gets faster and faster.

I did alot of research and found this Cougar flats tent to be best option. The sewn in divider allows your body heat to heat up only 1 side of the tent which is important in cooler weather that's why it's rated as a 3 season tent. Love how you can stand up and walk around. It also got great reveiews on amazon.

And NO TENT is waterproof!! Any tent should be seam sealed completely tent & fly. And after a couple seasons you should spray the fly with a water repellant.