What "must haves" do you absolutely have to have when you camp? - Page 3 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

What "must haves" do you absolutely have to have when you camp?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

I'll be behind the dunes myself. A little less sand in the tent! There are places on the Outer Banks, NC where you can still camp on the beach. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post you some info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Camper

Judy Ann, Yes I'd be interested in your suggestions for on-the-beach camping. I may be in the Carolinas in May and June.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Camper

Hi GlitterHiker, I'll send you a post when I get back in a couple of weeks. Cape Hatteras National Seashore has four camping areas on the Outer Banks and beach camping (occean side of the dunes) is not allowed there. I'll be traveling the entire route so I'll let you know what I find out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Camper

Update: finally got my shewee, and I must say for us girls it's a must have item. Love mine, wish I had it 10 years ago. Awesome, awesome awesome!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyb View Post
Update: finally got my shewee, and I must say for us girls it's a must have item. Love mine, wish I had it 10 years ago. Awesome, awesome awesome!!!
I have a Freshette, from REI. I agree, it's a must !! It's made a huge difference for me; I never would've tried winter camping without it.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Actually so many women stay away from the outdoors because of perceived hygeine problems I am glad to read that women have solutions to enjoy the outdoors as much as the guys. When I'm hiking or backpacking around, it's great to see both genders enjoying mother nature. It also helps many of the guys to straighten up and act right - not me mind you, but there's some guys out there that really need reality checks.

Keep passing the word that the ewww factor is no longer an excuse for the ladies.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 04-07-2011 at 07:06 PM..
Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Camper

home | P-Mate USA

I like the disposable factor here!!!

Artsmart, there is a little more than meets the eye with women. Modesty has its virtues and I missed out on many years of fun because I didn't know about options. Too bad more men don't share about how the women in their families handle "women's issues."
Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

my wife camps with me in back country,and in campgrounds,with no shower,it is just a matter of taking advantage of times when most people are not up,or where people are few,washing up in a tent is at times not easy but you can get clean,with a little bit of water and a baby wipe,and soap,my wife has even hunted with me the first few days of her monthly cycle,so i know it can be done,staying out in back country,or at a primitive campground can be a fun time for women as well as men.
my wife says you do have to give up a little bit of modesty,especially if you have to use the back end of a tree as a toilet.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Camping Guru

Judy Ann, what I was getting at is that my wife never took the time to learn how to solve hygeine problems in the wild and now with the RV and most campgrounds we go to she doesn't want to or need to try anymore. I can't share any ideas because I don't really have any.

I applaud products and women who now share their ideas because it's women like you that are helping get the better gender in the same wonderous areas that was mostly tackled by men.

I am glad to see many more women in the wild enjoying Mother Nature and not as a pioneer woman relegated to taking care of the kids and doing all the work while the men are off "having all the fun". My last couple of outings to the Yosemite backcountry and the ratio was almost 50-50! That's fantastic progress.

Even I try and maintain modesty and privacy when the need arises. It's the considerate thing to live by.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 04-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Camper

@artmart - how many women have you seen camping solo? I thought it was going to be rare, but almost every time I've been out this year, I've met another woman at the campsite also going solo.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Camping Guru

In 30 years of backpacking only 3 women soloists. The last one was last year and she was meeting her Dad after she had been up for about 3 days by herself. She was doing great, but when her dad finally got there he wasn't. He was not in great physical condition, but it was his idea to get up to meet her prior to her last day and even though she tried to talk him out of meeting her, she finally agreed. He got to camp, she set it up for him and he slept the whole time until they left the next day.

In backpacking over the recent years, I have encountered many groups of women of all ages backpacking or women as couples who backpacking with their significant other. But women solists backpackers are still rare in the backcountry.

As for Tent or RV camping, we've met quite a few soloists women and some men. My wife is always amazed they have the courage, the will power and the desire, but she has no desire to try it alone, since she has me along and I'm willing to take very good care of her. I am willing to do this otherwise I don't get to go out there.

We are both over 50 and still enjoy tent camping, but recently we've gone to Truck bed tent camping so she isn't on the ground any more no matter what we do - she developed that desire after many nights in the comfort of the RV. No more waking up and standing up on the ground - she wants flooring of some kind.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 04-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Camper

@Artmart - thanks for the insight!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardjs522 View Post
Here's another site with a pretty extensive checklist:

camping checklist - camping list

I'd need MORE then this for 2 wks we camp... but then again it is a church camp meeting.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Camper

Hi all
For me it must be a big,warm,breathable sleeping bag.
Regards
Rex.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Camper

And when it comes to tables, the one's we use have all got adjustable legs We very rarely find a flat pitch,and I really hate a wobbly table,
Regards
Rex.