What "must haves" do you absolutely have to have when you camp? - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

What "must haves" do you absolutely have to have when you camp?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

when we tent we must have rope and a tarp

I use a 20 x 30 tarp raised high so the tent fits under and also I raise the lantern high to shine on a larger area so it takes lots of rope

CSinNS

Carl & Michelle Spinney & Family
Yarmouth Nova Scotia

27.5 ft Skamper

" Try to be the person your dog thinks you are "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Fishing pole and a shovel.Matches and a tarp.Hatchet and a folding reclining chair.But depends on how long you are out.LOL And how far you have to pack it all.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

my 357 pistole,my sleeping bag,and my wife to keep me worm at night,oh,and my beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Now those must-haves are pretty primitive. The 357 can be used for hunting game because you didn't mention bringing any food.

I also find it hard to believe you consider your wife a worm. That makes her kind of slimy and skinny. Maybe that's why you only need one sleeping bag.

But if you drink enough beer, who cares. Sounds like a memorable camping trip...

My must-haves for a trip are aka "10 Essentials". I won't bother to list them, since an internet search can find them easy enough. It sounds like what everyone has mentioned is actually things they like to bring AFTER the 10 essentials. And this can vary depending on backpacking, tailgating, group camping or RVing. But it all starts with the 10 Essentials.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure500 View Post
Probably a bit odd but I always make sure that I have my shewee

Hey, I was thinking about buying one, where did you get yours???? Do you like it? Any tips?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

I always take a fishing pole and a gun while camping
Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Well, there are "must-haves" to be able to even do the camping, like: a knife and way to start a fire, and there are "must-haves" for the personal enjoyment of the camping experience, like; a favorite camping chair to sit around the campfire in.

Daring to state the obvious, if you are a backpacking camper, your "must-haves" are probably going to be the essentials of the first category, - the knife and way to start a fire.

the must-haves for me are the favorite camp chair and Folger's Coffee singles. Gotta have that good cup of evening coffee.

regarding the checklists referenced, looks like they are intended to be complete for all circumstances, and most campers will not have or need everything on the list, but it's there to remind you if you do.

Now I'm not trying to be "spammy", but the following link is my own, so don't click it if you think it is inappropriate for me to put it here....

But ... there is a page full of different camping checklists for all aspects of a camp outing, including one for the "most forgotten or over-looked camping items", but the best part is you can download them free as MS Word docs that you can edit for your own style of camping, just delete what you don't use, or add what you do, and then just print one from your computer whenever you need it.

Free Printable Camping Checklists

Note to the mod: my apologies if this is a rule infraction, my intentions are good.

Gus
"Of course I trust my political representatives ... just not with my liberties or my wallet" :GAW

Last edited by Gus; 03-30-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Old 03-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Camping Guru

Hey Gus, it's only spammy if you try to sell us your list. But the ads on your website are pushing it.

As for Mudd Creek. That's a good list. I can shoot the fish, then use the fishing pole to whack whoever tries to take 'em.

I like camping with family too. I have a cousin with buck teeth and he makes a good bottle opener. And we like having the littlest kids around cuz we can run faster than them if a hungry bear shows up.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 03-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
Hey Gus, it's only spammy if you try to sell us your list. But the ads on your website are pushing it.

As for Mudd Creek. That's a good list. I can shoot the fish, then use the fishing pole to whack whoever tries to take 'em.

I like camping with family too. I have a cousin with buck teeth and he makes a good bottle opener. And we like having the littlest kids around cuz we can run faster than them if a hungry bear shows up.
@Artmart - thanks for the response. As for the site ads - made me go back and look for myself, I think my ad layouts are very moderate compared to many sites I visit, only three mods per page. But that's another topic...

You must be making the kids pack all the gear if you can outrun them.

Quick related story, I'll try to make it short;
I was bear hunting with my grandfather, I was 9-years old and carrying a rifle.

We were are a timber trail, at the treeline, near dusk. He was 4 or 5 paces ahead of me. He was also a dedicated practical joker.

Going into a turn on the trail, as he was about middle way in, and I was just entering the turn, he suddenly spun around and ran past me.

I wasn't really paying attention, but as he passed me he yelled "Bear!", and kept going. I looked up, into the turn and there was a big black bear! (not really, it was a lightning struck burnt tree trunk about 6 feet tall, but it sure looked like a bear then!)

But given the conditions: near dusk, twisted tree growth like you see on any treeline, 9-year old imagination, and a grizzled mountain man-type grandfather running away yelling bear, and ...

My point is, I caught up to and passed him in what seemed like only three steps, and was another dozen strides gone when I realized he was stopped and doubled over laughing.

So I can only guess the kids you outran were packing all the gear for you.

I'm really lucky to have those memories, every kid should be as lucky as I was when it came to grandfathers.

Gus
"Of course I trust my political representatives ... just not with my liberties or my wallet" :GAW
Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammafox View Post
Well, I came across a must have for my dog, a pop up crate made life so much easier. I did not have to worry if the this crate would puncture the tent or how to pack the metal crate, which was a bit of a pain. I also found really cool solar clamp lights for an umbrella, that I clamped onto my tent and they worked awesome.
MY dog is with me all of the time when I camp. I have 2 screw in the ground stakes and slip her leash over them. One is by my chair and one by the tent door. I put a towel by the chair for her to lie on and I don't take a crate to put her in. I put rugs inside the tent and haven't had any problems with her causing damage to the tent when we are inside.

The solar lights sound interesting. What kind did you get?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

my wife needs warm socks,warm sleeping bag,and the most important thing is toilet PAPER.
and her pistole,because we backcountry camp,and backcountry elk hunt,and she does not want a big kitty to make her his dinner.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Camping Guru

Don't forget to keep the TP in a ziplock. If it gets wet at all, it's worthless.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Camper

My AAA card.

I got my car stuck in the sand the first weekend this year that camping opened at Cape Henlopen, Delaware. No one else was onsite. I had to call "Triple A" to get my car pulled out.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Camper

Ouch. Hope that doesn't happen to me beach camping this weekend and next week along the Outer Banks. AAA works in a pinch!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Camper

@JudyAnn - have fun!! I was on the dunes, but not actually on the beach. I do want to try camping right on the beach sometime.