What's your favorite tent? and why? - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Tent Camping

What's your favorite tent? and why?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Smile

My fav. is the Columbia Cougar Flats 2 Tent. It got 5 stars out of 34 reviewers. That's awsome. Just ordered it from Amazon. Can't wait to go camping. Every night I dream I'm sleeping in it.

Amazon.com: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent: Sports & Outdoors

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jennifer/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Camper

Hey coleman instant tent is new to there line that im awere of and bought one for 150.00 at sams club before they were in the stores must be the ginny pig. Well its awsome tent size 10X14 two room and we been through hail storms wind storms and hours of rain one storem 6+ hours and this was last year summer season and we had our 7 month with us. So the tent held up well and no damage to it. We also looked at the cougar flats. $ sold us on the coleman.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Camper

We own an Eddie Bauer Baker 3 in 1 tent. While it's not top of the line- it is tall (can stand up inside of it) and it has room for us plus our 3 kids(with air matresses)- and room for all of our belongings on the other side. It is so airy- even with the rain fly and windows shut- the ventilation is great. It is rather cold in the winter though- we went camping with around 36-40 degrees at night- and after the first night we ended up using an electric space heater in it- because it was just too cold for the kids (and us). While the heater didn't heat the whole thing up- it made it bearable to sleep (we only had blankets- no sleeping bags- oops).

I don't have any large photos of it up- but we are going camping next week and will be sure to take some nice photos of it-

I personally love it too- because it was regularly priced almost $200 bucks at target- and one fall I was shopping, and it was on clearance sale for $45 bucks- it was the last one- so of course I snatched it up quick. Didn't use it for a few years- but now that our youngest is 2- we are starting to use it more. (there is a pic of it in my avatar/profile - but it's just a pic i took from the package and it's a little glared and hard to see)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

That is not a four season tent, which is why you froze in the cold. For me, the four seasons for tenting are not Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall, they are Hot, Windy, Rainy and Cold. I have been in the mountains in summer and had snow fall, and I have been camping in early summer and had cold rainstorms, so traditional seasons are NOT the way to consider camping. I prefer "my seasons" to rate a tent and gear.

A tall tent is nice to stand in, but if you sleep on mattresses or pads on the ground, then heat rises and no amount of heat will get to you. You found this out in cold weather. Also, blankets might be inexpensive, but they allow too much airspace around you to remain cold which will defeat your body's attempts to keep you warm. These should be reserved for warm/dry weather. When looking for a campground look at BOTH day and nighttime temps!!!

A sleeping bag's purpose is to encapsulate you to keep any warmth your body generates inside - the lower temp rating for a bag the better. Sometimes you might also have to sleep with layers of clothing in the bag for additional insulation from the cold. A beanie style cap is also a must for keeping you warmer in cold wet weather since your head tends to stay out of the bag and the cap prevents your body heat from escaping. What many do is buy a higher rated bag for warm weather, then layer on as needed with different grades of thermals, etc. Wearing dry clothing is a must, especially dry socks. I typically wear a balaclava, very lightweight top and bottom and socks. This allows for evacuating the sleeping bag for whatever reason and in a hurry if needed.

Cots, are another way to elevate you and get you to a heater's warmth at the tops of the tent. A heater with some kind of fan works best because it helps cycle the air back down to the tent floor, but then it might get noisy. You need to think about what's best for you and your tentmates.

Oh well, enough for now. The tent looks pretty sturdy in a wind and hopefully the fly helps keep the precipitation from the doors and windows. But it the fly is undersized, you might consider adding a very large lightweight tarp for additional waterproofing, but then you need to know how to create and use guylines and pegs.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Camper

You are very correct- it is NOT a four seasons tent =) We knew we would be cold- it was a last minute bluegrass festival we went to the last weekend of september here in Michigan. We didn't have the extra cash for sleeping bags- or believe me we would have gotten them. This year we plan on attending again- and will use our same tent- but we do have sleeping bags now- which should keep us all nice and warm. We also have air matresses- so we won't be sleeping on blankets on the tent floor- which should help too.

I have used the rain fly as a canopy for a fair I sold things at once- and had to put it up in some pretty significant wind and it held up beautifully- meanwhile my 100 dollar ez up canopy was a different story in that wind. LOL

When we camp we do carry extra tarps with us- in case of rain- so we can have an added cover of protection. It does do a nice job of keeping the dew off the tent though and keeping it nice and dry inside the tent. And it's FABULOUS for hot summer days/nights. (which is what we will be camping in next week).

Thanks for the reply =)
Old 07-20-2011, 01:59 AM
Camper

I have an REI Half Dome 4 that I take primitive camping and on 2-3 day trips. It has withstood tropical storms with wind, hail and torrential rain and has kept me safe and dry. I take a Kodiak 10x10 canvas trip for longer stays. It has a built in awning, lots of floor to ceiling windows and I can stand up in it and keep my zero gravity chair inside if it is too cold outdoors or if reading before bed. I also have a hammock for backpacking in the mountains. As previously mentioned it is nice to have a variety of tents to suit the conditions, keep you warm/cool and dry, and give you ample room to move around if you need to spend a rainy day inside!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:02 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Question this one seems like the swags?(a kind of hiking tent in Australia )

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonslaer View Post
it keeps me off the ground rain, snow, ect. its always comfey
it seems like swag? Australia guy always use this tent for hiking, is it heavy? you take it by car? or can handle it easily?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:14 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Smile i have few tents and use them in different time

i like the yurt most, when i got long holidays i drive my pick up and throw the yurt on pick up, when arrive the destination will erect the yurt and live there for few days.
What's your favorite tent?  and why?-_img1021.jpg
While if going hiking i will prefer take a fast open light weight polyester tent
Old 11-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

It depends on what you are going to do with your tent, weather, season, ground etc.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Camper

I have an Alkanak tent but have only had it up in my back yard. Its 12x20. I just retired and hope to be able to use it out the wilds soon. I would love to go camping in the High Uintas or in the Smokies. Guess you can tell I like the mountain. I camped a lot when I was younger and hope to get back in to it on a regular basis. This tent has a wood burning stove. Don't know if I'll ever get that working or not.

Cheryl's Top Deals: Online Shopping - Apparel, Automotive, Electronics, Tools, Video Games & more
Old 12-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Camper

Are the yurt tents good in cold weather?
Old 01-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Camper

Default Love my Kodiak tent

I bought a Kodiak tent 10x10 Flexbow Deluxe. It has been great so far. Very durable and I have stayed dry after rain and snow days. Highly recommended for the serious tent camper.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite tent?  and why?-img_20151126_094045331.jpg  

Last edited by ozzmoe; 01-08-2016 at 02:19 PM..
Old 01-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Camper

My favourite tent is Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent. I think it is one of the best waterproof tents on the market right now and it has plenty of space also it is made from high quality materials. I highly recommend it
Old 01-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Camper

we are using a Colemen Instant cabin tent. it is easy to set up, large enough for a queen-sized air mattress, and you can walk around inside.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:00 AM
Camper

Default its very comfortable inside the yurt tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctopdeal View Post
Are the yurt tents good in cold weather?
It very comfortable inside the yurt tent, for the one in photo its a traditional mongolian yurt, and normally people will put felt between the lattice wall and cover so the inside will be warm.
While for modern yurts, normally there are insulation layers(not felt, its a kind of insulation material used on constructions), so cool in summer and warm in winter.
Disadvantage, too heavy to transport and not easy to erect, i've been there, only when you planned to live for long time, or use a yurt for short time camping is not easy