2005 Dodge Dakota & a fifth wheel????? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

2005 Dodge Dakota & a fifth wheel?????

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Cool 2005 Dodge Dakota & a fifth wheel?????

OK guys...... we are totally new at this whole camping bit. We purchased a fleetwood 25ft fifth wheel and (ha ha) we have a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4x4 V8 with Towing Package. The owners manual says it has a tow capacity of 7000lbs and according to the RV it comes in at approximately 5700 lbs and does have electric brakes. I have done some research and did find out that Reese only makes a fifth wheel hitch for the Dakota. The info I got said that Dodge is the only mid-size truck that can do the job. I also discussed it with a guy at a RV center and he said if thats what it says then it can. However, I am skeptical with it being a mid-sized truck. Not to mention I haven't seen any on the road.
If you can help, I would really appreciate it. We don't know whether to purchase a hitch and install it or if budget allows purchase another truck. I'll be checking in for your opinion and or expertise on the subject!
We are adding our "final" personal touches and are anxious to go on our first trip but we want to do it safely.
Thanks! Joyce & Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I have a dodge ram 1500 quad cab, heavy duty tow package, 5.9L (360) etc... I have not towed a 5th wheel with mine before, but have always said when we do get a 5'er, I am getting a diesel. But, others do it, and I believe they could "handle" it.

You will also need to be alert with a 5th wheel and a shorter bed. If you turn to sharp you will have the 5'er in your lap, friend of mine did that twice . You may look into a super slide hitch for that.

I would also make sure it has a transmission cooler, which it prob does since its 4x4.

Ford Mainline
Old 04-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Talking Thanks!

Thanks for the help. Jerr wants a dually because he knows it will handle it. We are just worried about the wear and tear etc. on the truck. I noticed that you are from Tennesse. We are too! Maybe we will run into one another camping! If we ever get there! Hopefully we can make a decesion soon. I am new with this website and learning how to use it. I don't know how to add friends etc. Any info?
Thanks,
Joyce & Jerr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 06:44 PM

We have a 25' ultra-lite travel trailer (dry weight approx. 3900 lbs.), and a mid-size pickup (2009 Toyota Tacoma) with a tow capacity of approx. 6000 lbs. (towing package, off-road suspension and 4x4), and we really feel the empty trailer on the back of our empty truck. The tranny spends a lot of time up and down-shifting on mild inclines in 4th gear overdrive. Haven't tried it in regular 4th gear. I would hesitate to take ours into any steep grade mountain passes, at any rate. Don't know if that helps, but I would recommend a bigger truck just to be safe.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Thumbs up Thanks!

In all honesty that is what we are afraid of and why we haven't committed to setting the Dakota up for the haul. I appreciate the response and hope to resolve our dilemma soon.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 AM

We have a '96 Dodge Dakota, 4x4, auto, v8....we tow our 21 foot 5er. You can feel it when it's loaded, but it pulls fine. Course, we're the "idiots going 40 mph over the mountains"....LOL
Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM

LOL yea we can see ourselves goin over the mountain pretty SLOWWWW but hey if it works, then I'm ready! Any ideas where we can get a deal on a 5th wheel hitch? Thanks for your response!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidigrrrl View Post
We have a 25' ultra-lite travel trailer (dry weight approx. 3900 lbs.), and a mid-size pickup (2009 Toyota Tacoma) with a tow capacity of approx. 6000 lbs. (towing package, off-road suspension and 4x4), and we really feel the empty trailer on the back of our empty truck. The tranny spends a lot of time up and down-shifting on mild inclines in 4th gear overdrive. Haven't tried it in regular 4th gear. I would hesitate to take ours into any steep grade mountain passes, at any rate. Don't know if that helps, but I would recommend a bigger truck just to be safe.

If your tranny is hunting for gears while in OD, tow the trailer without OD turned off.
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee(8" lift, 37" tires) play rig
Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Well, today I found out that our new camper fifth wheel isn't weighing in at 8200 lbs it is 10186lbs gross wt. Have called everyone today, the truck dealer, camper dealer, friends who pull a large camper east to west every year...what I am hearing is..can use regular gas, need at least 250 dodge or like manner...with the super slide in the back the pulling weight of the trailer is reduced by 2000 lbs. It is getting really hard to decide hearing so many stories. Toyota dealer thinks with their 1/2 ton truck you can pull 10800...well if the pulling wt is reduced because we have the hitch in the back of the truck would that be alright?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Camping Fanatic

The Nissan Titan 1/2 ton claims the same. We bought my wife a Nissan van and I just was eyeballing the Titan and the sales guy said come test this before you buy a diesel. BUT, as I mentioned in the other thread, MPG is a problem. The titan got like 13 mpg as it was, so towing would be worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielover101 View Post
Well, today I found out that our new camper fifth wheel isn't weighing in at 8200 lbs it is 10186lbs gross wt. Have called everyone today, the truck dealer, camper dealer, friends who pull a large camper east to west every year...what I am hearing is..can use regular gas, need at least 250 dodge or like manner...with the super slide in the back the pulling weight of the trailer is reduced by 2000 lbs. It is getting really hard to decide hearing so many stories. Toyota dealer thinks with their 1/2 ton truck you can pull 10800...well if the pulling wt is reduced because we have the hitch in the back of the truck would that be alright?

Ford Mainline
Old 04-24-2009, 07:10 AM
_

Remember also, that when a vehicle is rated for towing capacity, that is based on a 170 lb. driver, no passengers and no cargo. Any extra weight in the truck and you're taking away from the towing capacity.

Something that large I don't think you would be happy in a 1/2 ton. I've never seen a 5th wheel that big being towed by less than a 3/4 ton.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Camper

Thank you guys for your input. It has helped us think through before actually buying. We took a look after talking with friends at the Dodge..it is looking very much like this could be the truck. We were advised not to purchase the '06 as that year they had numerous problems..sensor issues, seal issues etc. However, it does a great job pulling a heavy trailer. So after all this we are still at the "drawing" board..good thing we will not actually have to have the truck for several months.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Camper

Hi all like all above we have a dodge dakota and wanted to buy a camper. So after spending hours of talking to everyone and reading and people telling me it can't be done. We bought a 21' 5th wheel and yes it can be done. I did add the tranny cooler and I put a slider hitch in. It pulls great and I get the satisfaction of proving everyone wrong...heheh thanks to all for your help
Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Camper

What a busy couple of days..we did get our truck. '06 4X4 5 Tundra. Towing will go 12500 and we are 10186 Gross Wt. Was sad to see my Sienna go in trade, however, my husband did not think we needed two cars doing the same thing..The Tundra is so like driving the Sienna, smooth, quiet, a joy to drive and ride in. But....since I am not very tall even with running boards I have to really work at getting into it. That's Ok..now we can go CAMPING..looking forward to that.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielover101 View Post
What a busy couple of days..we did get our truck. '06 4X4 5 Tundra. Towing will go 12500 and we are 10186 Gross Wt. Was sad to see my Sienna go in trade, however, my husband did not think we needed two cars doing the same thing..The Tundra is so like driving the Sienna, smooth, quiet, a joy to drive and ride in. But....since I am not very tall even with running boards I have to really work at getting into it. That's Ok..now we can go CAMPING..looking forward to that.
I'm going to have to do some research...but I thought the '06 Tundra's were the old body style with only the 4.7L V8.....that combo will not tow 12500lbs.

I'm not even sure if the new Tundras with the 5.7L will tow that much...they will to the 10000lbs you camper is rated at.
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee(8" lift, 37" tires) play rig