How to Change a Flat Tire - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

How to Change a Flat Tire

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Addicted Camper

David, I'm stepping outside my comfort zone as my knowledge is limited to folding trailers. I also tried to located a manual for your fifthwheel but failed.

However, a wheel is a wheel so here goes.

Rockwood/Forest River recomended torque for folding trailers wheels is 90 to 95 foot pounds.

Here are the recomended torques from Fleetwood.

First stage

20 to 25 foot pounds for all steel and aluminum wheels

Second stage

Steel wheels
10 inch - 35 to 40 pounds
12 inch - 35 to 40 pounds
13 inch - 50 to 60 pounds
14 inch - 35 to 40 pounds

Aluminum wheels
13 inch - 35 to 40 pounds
14 inch - 35 to 40 pounds
15 inch - 50 to 60 pounds

Third stage:

Steel wheels
10 inch - 75 pounds
12 inch - 75 pounds
13 inch - 75 pounds
14 inch - 90 pounds

Aluminum wheels
13 inch - 75 pounds
14 inch - 75 pounds
15 inch - 90 pounds

Hope this helps.

Ruide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Send a message via Yahoo to dchaviland
Default Tires and nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heruide View Post
David, I'm stepping outside my comfort zone as my knowledge is limited to folding trailers. I also tried to located a manual for your fifthwheel but failed.

*** Edited for Brevity ***

Ruide
Ruide:

If we ever end up at the same camp site, I owe you a drink of your choice. You have gone above and beyond the call of duty here. and I thank you!!

I'm pretty sure with my 31' 5th Wheel, by Forrest River, I'm running 14" rims. I'm positive they are steel as being here in the Gulf coast area, it is humid enough and there is just a touch of rust on the edges. Something that would not happen if they were aluminum. (Also my late father was a metalurgist and some of that did rub off by osmosis to know the difference between steel and aluminum.)

I've picked up on discussions in other locales about aluminum rims on RVs, in particular FR RVs, and the need to constantly check and or tighten the wheel nuts. It didn't make sense to me to put aluminum rims on something that weighs as much as an RV does given the fact that aluminum is a fairly malleable material with time and stress.

When we bought our first RV, then later traded it for our 5th wheel, my ever smart wife videotaped both walk throughs at the dealer when we took possession. Well, I took the camera, downloaded the file to my desktop and converted it to a DVD. I made 3 copies, one of which stays in the trailer. I can not tell you how many times these have saved my butt when I've forgotten something about the trailer. I remember the guy saying the wheels are only torqued to about 50 ft-lbs when it leaves the dealer but to check them myself to 90-95 ft-lbs and that they already did that for me.

I never had a nut come loose and after my adventures with valve stems (another post) I found none of my wheel nuts were loose when I had to get those four tires off. But, I want to make sure I'm in right range when I get her prepped for our next trip.

David
Old 05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Addicted Camper

David, I'm just glad that I could help. Even though I'm currently in your fair city (I'm at MD Anderson), the doctors have prohibited me from camping. So it might take me a while to take you up on your offer for a drink at one of your camp grounds ... but when I do I'll certainly let you know.

Take care.

Ruide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 10:41 AM

Another true story about flat tires and camper. I went to lunch yesterday with a friend of mine and he told me a story about his ex son-in-law and the camper he bought last year. In a way it's sort of funny, as you can see there were a lot of typical mistakes for first time camper owners and how not using common sense can get you into trouble. Please bear with me, as this may be a long story.
I'll call this person, Chris (actually this is his real name). Chris bouth a 26 foot travel trailer last summer. This last weekend, on a whim, he and his girlfriend decided to make the trip to Lake Catherine in Hot Springs, Ark. He had a flat not far from his turnoff to the Lake and since he didn't have a jack (mistake #1) he slowed down and was able to make it to the camp. He found someone that was able to change the tire for him and put on the spare. On Sunday the weather was looking bad, so they decided to leave early and head back to Memphis, Tn. About 75 miles up the road, he had a blowout on the spare and when it blew, it knocked of the valve stem on the other tire and now he was sitting there with 2 flats, no spare (mistake #2) and no jack to change a tire, even if he had a spare. He dropped the trailer along the interstate, drove about 40 miles to Littlerock, Ark and after several stops and a couple phone calls located 2 tires, already mounted at a Tractor Supply Store. He had no tools so he purchased a 4 way lug wrench and a 2 ton jack (really should have bought a bigger jack). After getting the tires back on the traler he was able to return home with no other problems. Trips like this will ruin a vacation, no doubt.

There were a few things he should have done prior to taking off on a trip of 100 plus miles.

First off, check the tires really well, including tire pressures and overall look of the tires. Camper tires sit a lot and even with tires with low mileage, the main issue is weathering. Some places call this lot rot. Most tralers sit on concrete or blacktops and they absorb a lot of heat and dry out after a couple years.

Second, never leave home without a jack or a Trailer-AID". In a pinch you can also stack several pieces of 2x6 and form a pyramid to raise the camper.

Thirdly, NEVER leave without a spare. On any flats I have had, the first stop as soon as possible is have the flat repaired/replaced and now you have a spare.

If anyway possible, try to get the camper off the interstate where there isn't as much traffic before changing the spare. Now keep in mind, knowing your camper and a ideal of the weight of your camper is a big plus. I would never try to limp in somewhere with my camper as it weighs too much for 1 tire. On smaller campers you may be able to drive a few miles at reduced speeds on one tire, but when you have dual and triple axles for a reason. There are a lot of weigh placed on each tire, when you lose one of 2 or 3 tires on one side, the other tire or tires have to bear weight that probaly exceeds what they are designed for. What could happen if you operate at any distance or speed at other than what the tires are designed for is just asking for additional problems. That is the reason that your tire pressures are so important.

When I heard this story yesterday, I remembered my orginal posts and really wanted to share this with you. Always prepare your trips, or you will end up having the worse time camping , instead of enjoying your camping experiences .
Old 08-23-2019, 10:56 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

We just call roadside assistance

Most insurances, credit cards, AAA, etc have some kind of roadside assistance that can cover your trailer.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:30 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

I have a A class now and the rim is 22.5 in same size as truckers have. They are just to big and to heavy for me at 70 plus I call AAA plus RV i'm just to old to get hurt and my wife will kill me if I try it now. LOL