Traveling with a firearm - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

Traveling with a firearm

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2008, 09:03 AM

Default reply to firearms forum

Both of us being retired law enforcement, we do travel with firearms. Our first line of defense is our dogs, best alarms there are, but unfortunately these days, one needs to be prepared for the unthinkable. We are dealing with a different society nowadays and it is scary. We would much rather be alive and deal with the courts, as was stated previously, than having to have our families plan our funerals. And with the economy the way it is going, it would appear the worst is yet to come. It may become a matter of survival and we intend to survive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 01:52 PM

Yeah I carry when camping. I camp out in the desert a lot and some are remote areas. Never know who might show up!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 AM

I feel much better just knowing that if I ever needed my gun it is there close by. I keep it out of sight and out of mind (and away from the grandkids when they are around) but in todays world you never know. I work offshore and am in Trinidad but headed for Rio de Jinero next week. Being gone alot I like to know my wife has Sam Colt staying with her when I am away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 02:38 PM

Exclamation

I'm not sure of the legal aspects but as a District Attorney told me his philosophy was "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". I agree.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Have fun in Rio, beautiful place. Hope you know some Portuguese, its tough gettin around over there without it. We went there last year, luckily we had someone with us most of the time who was from there and spoke fluent english and portuguese, otherwise it was tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by popadoc View Post
I feel much better just knowing that if I ever needed my gun it is there close by. I keep it out of sight and out of mind (and away from the grandkids when they are around) but in todays world you never know. I work offshore and am in Trinidad but headed for Rio de Jinero next week. Being gone alot I like to know my wife has Sam Colt staying with her when I am away.

Ford Mainline
Old 07-28-2008, 01:58 PM

I have a concealed weapons permit in AZ and seem to vaguely remember a few points from the required class:

There are special rules with firearms around state parks and in AZ, there are special rules with firearms around indian reservations.

Although I don't remember the specifics.......

I agree with the above statement about being judge by 12 vs carried by 6!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 AM

I carry all the time. camping, fishing and atving. will not travel with out
Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 PM

I may be a little behind the power curve here, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I carry a sidearm with me every time I head to the woods. On the trip up I wont have it holsterd as I dont feel I will be jumped by anyone or anything on the road, however once I hit dirt, it does not leave my side. Of course living in Montana with bears and cats around it just seems to make sense to me.

Bill
Old 06-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Toy Hauler

if you have a ccw try Carry Concealed for info. my wife is a retired co and i have a ccw from ca and utah so i can carry in about 38 states. never leave home without it.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookentigerlily View Post
I may be a little behind the power curve here, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I carry a sidearm with me every time I head to the woods. On the trip up I wont have it holsterd as I dont feel I will be jumped by anyone or anything on the road, however once I hit dirt, it does not leave my side. Of course living in Montana with bears and cats around it just seems to make sense to me.

Bill
Pretty much the way I roll. I don't leave home without at least a pistol. If I'm going camping I usually only take my .44 unless I plan on doing some recreational shooting. In that case I could have enough guns and ammo with me to start WW3.

Nice to run into another Montanan on here. I'm new to the site, just exploring it and getting a feel for it right now.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Smile

Hello Grace... where in VA are you from? My husband and I long to just hit the road but both work full time and our older daughter and her three children live and depend on us! Camping is our get away. Virginia has some gorgeous camping!!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 PM

The NRA publishes a booklet that tell the laws for each state. A little work with google should turn it up. It is my understand you can take some long guns into Canada provided you declare it and pay a fee.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Camper

I just finished my C.W.P. class and sent for my permit, I was releived that it was now ok to carry in state parks, I'll always have mine with me for myself and family's sake.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Up until a couple years ago, I always owned and carried a pistol. When traveling to other states, I followed crickets line of thinking and just hid it better.Now that me and honey are full-timing and traveling to new areas, I'm buying another pistol, getting a new permit, and teaching her to shoot. When we get to a new area, I'll check with a local gun shop on the local gun laws, and carry accordingly ( or hide well)

If someone comes into my rv in the middle of the night uninvited, I can assume they're not trying to sell me cookies and I'll do what I have to do to protect my family
In all my travels, I only had one police officer give me flack for carrying, and after informing him of my then military status, and that I was just excercising my constitutional right to bear arms, that genius told me that the wording "right to bear arms" referred to the right to organize militias for the defense of the country, not the right of the individual citizen... some rights shouldn't be up for debate at state level I guess
Old 03-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I have been following this thread and one similar to it on another site. I know by what I'm about to say is not going to change anyone's mind about carrying a weapon, nor do I want to. This is just my opinion on the subject.
Nothing good ever happens when a weapon is involved. Whether it be a bad guy or a family man protecting his family. Someone is going to get hurt. You all have been taught to fire your weapon of choice, but can they teach you when it should be fired and at who. I think not. How many times has a police officer shot someone by mistake. They go through a lot more training than you or I. I know it doesn't happen often, but it does happen. An innocent person is dead and the officer has to live with that. Someone entering your trailer at night poses a threat. What if it is one of your good friends looking for a flash light or one of your children, god forbid, coming in from a walk at night cause they couldn't sleep and you didn't hear them leave. I tackled my son one night coming home late. I thought it was somebody breaking in. What could of happened if I had a gun in my hand. Could you live making a mistake like that? I know I couldn't. I know this is worst case, but it does happen, and it only takes one time.
I have guns myself. I use them for target practice and hunting. I keep them locked in a safe when not in use.
Again I'm not trying to change you minds about gun control or the way you choose to handle your weapons. I'm just giving you my opinion on the subject. There is not going to be a right or a wrong answer on this subject just two different opinions. Just be careful. Thanks

Bob
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke