RV Generator - Page 4 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

RV Generator

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I bought a Gentron about 5 yrs ago. It's about the same as the Champion, price, wattage and plugs. Noise about 68 decibels.
My campgound shuts the electric of the middle of Nov. The electric company makes them pay for all the drops, even though there is no one using the electric. It saves the campground some money. I bought the generator so my wife and I can go up later on in the winter and enjoy the piece and quite, just us and the animals.
It runs quite enough not to bother us and keeps the batteries charged up. Knock on wood we have had no issues, but we don't have a computer or a flat screen tv (maybe in the future). Our vcr has bit the bullet, but I expect that to be just a vcr issue.
Thanks for the heads up on clean electric. I didn't realize there was such a thing. If the Gentron gves up on me I will look around some more. The sinwave, is that on the paper work that came with the generator?
We don't use the generator that much to go out and spend a lot on one, but if other stuff starts breaking it might be worth it to get one.
For the money ($300.00) the Champion 4000/3500w (and others) are very good units. If one is concerned about voltage fluctuations use a UL1449, CSA-listed, plug-in surge suppressor on the outlet feeding your sensitive equipment. The Champion TSC #46514 (and some other brands/models) provides 110v/30a and 220v outlets. Quiet, 96#, 12 hrs on a tank of gas, dependability and good customer support. Spending more money and buying on marketing hype doesn't necessarily get one a better product. Northern Tools, Harbor Freight and TSC gensets have attractive unit performance and prices.

Last edited by SteveC; 03-10-2011 at 04:02 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

If a generator will not publish their AC sine wave then expect that it's not as clean as a company that does, otherwise they would be proud to let everyone know it's clean.

In the meantime they won't bring it up, they hope you don't know any better and they will have sold you a generator by that time. If it causes problems with your electronics, that's not their problem because you didn't know to ask and they didn't have to tell you.

They are selling you a 110-120v power generator - that's it. What or how you are gonna use it is NOT their concern. As a consumer you must be aware of how you are gonna use this and for what.

For whatever reason, generators are coming out of the woodwork. All kinds of brands, many more models, but they are not all equal. It takes a bit of research to find what you need. Generally speaking the larger the genny the cleaner the power, then the price will definitely reflect the amount of effort for a genny to come up with clean power, noise filtering, etc. An inexpensive generator won't do that.

Sounds like you have a plan now, dogbone, now that you are a little more aware.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
For the money ($300.00) the Champion 4000/3500w (and others) are very good units. If one is concerned about voltage fluctuations use a UL1449, CSA-listed, plug-in surge suppressor on the outlet feeding your sensitive equipment. The Champion TSC #46514 (and some other brands/models) provides 110v/30a and 220v outlets. Quiet, 96#, 12 hrs on a tank of gas, dependability and good customer support. Spending more money and buying on marketing hype doesn't necessarily get one a better product. Northern Tools, Harbor Freight and TSC gensets have attractive unit performance and prices.
We just returned from an eight day dry camping trip. The Champion generator worked like a champ. I tested it by running it 48 hours non-stop except for refueling and oil check (better to test now than in the desert). Had the AC, refer, lights, TV and computer all running at the same time a couple nights. No problems at all. It ran 12 to 14 hours on a full tank. Nice to have quiet power for a change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Especially in a quantity of advance charge inverter generators construct DC in progress which is automatically upturned to 80 cycle RV control. This way the engine does not cover to run at a particular velocity.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Camper

Does anyone think this is a good site for generators? https://www.steadypower.com/pages.php?pageid=133 St. Louis City Towing
Old 08-30-2017, 01:52 AM
Camper

They seem to have a good selection Paul.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:57 AM
Camper

A generator also called power generator/electric generator can be quite useful when a regular power supply fails or in places where commercially-generated power is not available.

Generator can be divided into various types, such as open type(openset), silent type, portable type, trailer type, silent type, soundproof type, container type and so on.

For home use, I suggest you to consider buying silent generator, 20 -30KW is enough. If you want to purchase a soundproof diesel generator or gasoline generator, you can consider these brands, Honda, Cummins, Volvo, Perkins, Deutz, etc.

If you want to look for a reliable brand generator and mid-price, Cummins generator is a good choice. Otherwise, Deutz is reliable brand with good price and mid-price.

Hope it is helpful to you.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:34 AM
Camper

Honda eu2000 or 2000i would be great too, I own Honda 1.0 & even quieter and I think I have only ever used it for 1 no more than hour at a time, maximum twice a day, Only then when the weather is not so good for solar panels to put much in and no one would have been thinking about staying outside in that weather.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:48 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Wow, awesome information everyone. I bookmarked this thread so I know what to get when I buy one in the spring!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Camper

A few things to check out:

- How loud is it
- Fuel needed
- Warranty of generator
Old 07-23-2019, 11:34 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyOu View Post
A generator also called power generator/electric generator can be quite useful when a regular power supply fails or in places where commercially-generated power is not available.

Generator can be divided into various types, such as open type(openset), silent type, portable type, trailer type, silent type, soundproof type, container type and so on.

For home use, I suggest you to consider buying silent generator, 20 -30KW is enough. If you want to purchase a soundproof diesel generator or gasoline generator, you can consider these brands, Honda, Cummins, Volvo, Perkins, Deutz, etc.

If you want to look for a reliable brand generator and mid-price, Cummins generator is a good choice. Otherwise, Deutz is reliable brand with good price and mid-price.

Hope it is helpful to you.
Twice that Cindy said.
And about the noise level - the quietest generator I have heard is a Honda. My father bought one and paid about $1500 for it. It will power his entire 5th wheel with ease. He turned on the AC and the generator did not idle up at all.