RV Generator - Page 3 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

RV Generator

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM

My Brother-in-law and Sister used to live in Wyoming and most of the campgrouds that they went to did not have any hookups and used their DC (batteries), for lights. No A/C. A generator would have come in handy there, but they said there were places that did not allow generators, especially after 10pm because of the Noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2008, 03:38 PM

They live in Wyoming, what a place that must be. My brother lives in Omaha, Nebraska, and they love it. He fishes all the time. I talked to him on his birthday, and guess where he was? He was fishing on the lake. He just bought another boat. He said he got a 16' used boat.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM

They lived there until 2002. They now live in Shreveport, La. He is retired from the Air Force now and was stationed in Cheyenne at the time. I went up one time and he took me up to Glendo, which is about 90 miles North of where they lived. That was the first time I went Waleye fishing and I really enjoyed that. Cheyenne don't have much there as far as tourism, unless you go during Rodeo Week. We did go to a ranch and spent the day on horseback and taking in the Wyoming skies, which are wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 AM

So do you see very much of your brother? My older brother came for Thanksgiving last year. We had a very nice visit with him and the family. My younger brother visited the older one about 4 years ago. I went too. We went to Washington DC and saw all the sites. We both stayed with my older brother and his wife. That's the last time we were all together. We took pictures too.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 PM

-watts divided by volts equals amps that will tell you what u can run a 1500 btu ac will need 14 to 16 amps to start and 12 to 13 to run
Old 08-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Just wondering...I have a Honda EB3000 generator that I plan on using for our travel trailer. Whats the difference between the EB and EU generators? I don't have an a/c unit so I'd imagine the 20amp breakers on the EB will work for everything else. If I add an a/c unit will 20 amp be enough? There seems to be some debate on the amp issue for a/c units. It does have a 30 amp locking type outlet, can I buy an adapter to plug my trailer into it if I need the 30 amps for an a/c unit?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by cuzican; 08-09-2009 at 01:12 AM..
Old 08-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Addicted Camper

Cuzican,

There are two major differences between your EB3000 and the EU3000. The first is weight. The EB3000 only weighs 68 lbs compare the the 134 lbs of the EU3000.

The other difference is noise. The EB3000 is rated at 68 dB at 2600W rated (21.7A) versus the EU 3000 which is rated at 58 dB at 2800W rated (23.3A).

That means the EB 3000 is half the weight but will be perceived as being TWICE AS LOUD compared to the EU 3000

To help here is a chart with a comparison of noise.

Better yet Honda has a nice link that actually demonstrates the noise level of their generators including both the EB3000 and the EU3000. Go to this link and look at the left hand side under Tools and Resources and click on the "Honda Generator Sound Level comparison". Make sure your computer audio is turned up.

Hope this helps.

Ruide

PS I think you can get the adapter. IIRC I bought a locking male plug and connected it to a short 30 amp RV cord (dog bone) with a female end.

My Mods and Pictures and My Weekly Blog

Last edited by heruide; 08-09-2009 at 05:48 AM..
Old 08-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heruide View Post
Cuzican,

There are two major differences between your EB3000 and the EU3000. The first is weight. The EB3000 only weighs 68 lbs compare the the 134 lbs of the EU3000.

The other difference is noise. The EB3000 is rated at 68 dB at 2600W rated (21.7A) versus the EU 3000 which is rated at 58 dB at 2800W rated (23.3A).

That means the EB 3000 is half the weight but will be perceived as being TWICE AS LOUD compared to the EU 3000

To help here is a chart with a comparison of noise.

Better yet Honda has a nice link that actually demonstrates the noise level of their generators including both the EB3000 and the EU3000. Go to this link and look at the left hand side under Tools and Resources and click on the "Honda Generator Sound Level comparison". Make sure your computer audio is turned up.

Hope this helps.

Ruide

PS I think you can get the adapter. IIRC I bought a locking male plug and connected it to a short 30 amp RV cord (dog bone) with a female end.
This does help quite a bit. I don't really care much about the noise because I have never stayed in an RV park type campground that has actual rules or anything. I do mostly what I think you guys call boondocking in places with no hookups and most of the time not very many other campers, if any. I was using a honda eb5000 that weighs 210 pounds but it just got to be a pain in the butt to load and unload and it was 10 times louder than the eb3000. If I can get a 30amp adapter...which I think I found one online then if we decide to add an a/c unit later on we should have enough juice to run it okay.
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Addicted Camper

Cuzican,

You are welcome. Wishing you all the best.

Ruide

My Mods and Pictures and My Weekly Blog
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 AM

We have the Honda 2000 it is the best thing,quite runs about 8-10 hrs on 1gal. fuel
Old 01-13-2011, 05:43 AM
_

This is a camping forum, not a computer forum. Your questions won't get answered here.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I have dual Honda EU2000s. I also purchased a parallel cable that allows them to connected together and then I also purchased an RV panel that allow me to connect the RV's 30amp adapter. Nowadays there is a companion model of EU2000 so that you don't have to purchase a separate RV panel like I had do (it's big, sticks out, takes up more room, so the companion is the SAME size as the standard EU2000)

Note, that 2000watt ratings for the Hondas is the MAXIMUM surge rating and not the RUNTIME rating for any generator. Figure that the runtime rating is about 75%-80% of the maximum when calculating how much generator you should get.

Another factor for Hondas is that the quality of the AC power coming from them is very clean so allow computers, and other sensitive equipment to run off them. A lesser expensive unit power will not be as "clean" and can damage sensitive equipment.

I selected dual EU2000s because even with full fuel tanks they weigh about 50 lbs each and I can lift them into the back of my pickup when we travel. Dual Honda EU3000s can do the same thing in parallel for 50mps of need, but they are too heavy and large for me. For an A/C unit you'll need to supply at least 30 amps with your generators. This means even with a single EU3000 it should work but keep in mind the runtime versus maximum ratings and using the A/C with a bunch or stuff can be limiting. I chose dual EU2000s because it gives me 4000 watts max and a little less than that to easily provide 30 amps for my rig.

Whatever portable model you use, remember that you will need to secure these some how. This can be another long topic of conversation, so I'll save that discussion. When the gennys are in my pickup they are chained and locked and under a cover, but if a thief wants them bad enough, oh well. There are better ways but like I mentioned, another topic.

Lastly, there are ways to increase runtime hours by using external fuel tanks connected to the fuel supplies of the genny and this is another long topic, too.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldj View Post
I have been considering purchasing a generator for our camper. I have heard a lot of good things about the Honda's, but they are pretty expensive.

I dont know how many watts would be best either, but I will mostly use it for lights, TV and sometimes the AC.

Thanks
We purchased a Champion generator from Tractor Supply Company (TSC item #46514). The 3500w (4000w peak), $299.99 plus tax. Put oil and gas in it and gave it two pulls and it was running, sitting on the ground behind the 18' trailer. I walked around to the front of the trailer and couldn't hear the gen running. Let it warm up and plugged in the RV. Turned on the AC and all the lights. Gen didn't even notice.

Has 110v household plug, 30A RV plug and 220v plug. Weighs about 100#. A wheel kit is available.

Friends have had one for a couple years and have absolutely no complaints. One powers his 30' 5th wheel while boondocking. Says it runs up to 12 hours on one tank of fuel.

Last edited by SteveC; 03-08-2011 at 10:44 PM..
Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Camping Guru

Regarding Champion and other brands, a potential problem with these is that the power might not be clean enough to run sensitive electronic equipment over long periods. Computers, DVD players, LCD TVs and other sensitive digital equipment might not work as well as some of the lesser valued generators.

This is something to consider. If you can somehow get the output sinewave of the AC part of the generator this can help you determine how well (or how bad) you are treating your equipment. Since I have Hondas and they are known for "clean" power I haven't bothered.

Another caution. Using an A/C should be possible with a 2000watt generator, but this is less than the typical 20 amps that an A/C might need. Know the ratings of the A/C and the corresponding rating of your generator to ensure things will start up fine and you are not browning out your electronic equipment. FYI a 2000 watt generator will provide a maximum of 16 to 18 amps starting amps and some A/Cs might need up to 20 to start up and cause your generator to fault. Also when the 2000 watt generator is running it only provides about 1800 watts or 15 to 16 amps and may cause a brown out of the A/C which will cause the A/C motor to burn up. Your A/C might be working it but you could be slowly "killing" it. Again, check the ratings.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Addicted Camper

I bought a Gentron about 5 yrs ago. It's about the same as the Champion, price, wattage and plugs. Noise about 68 decibels.
My campgound shuts the electric of the middle of Nov. The electric company makes them pay for all the drops, even though there is no one using the electric. It saves the campground some money. I bought the generator so my wife and I can go up later on in the winter and enjoy the piece and quite, just us and the animals.
It runs quite enough not to bother us and keeps the batteries charged up. Knock on wood we have had no issues, but we don't have a computer or a flat screen tv (maybe in the future). Our vcr has bit the bullet, but I expect that to be just a vcr issue.
Thanks for the heads up on clean electric. I didn't realize there was such a thing. If the Gentron gves up on me I will look around some more. The sinwave, is that on the paper work that came with the generator?
We don't use the generator that much to go out and spend a lot on one, but if other stuff starts breaking it might be worth it to get one.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke