RV Generator - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

RV Generator

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

When we bought our camper last year, we ran right out and bought a generator also. I picked up the Honda EU3000i. It is quiet, and runs everything in the camper. You can't run the AC and microwave at the same time. Or the hot water heater on electric with the AC on. Not a problem to us.

I don't use it at campgrounds because they already have electric. We like to back woods camp to get away from people, so the generator has come in handy. Electric start on it is great, and you can get a remote start if you want. With it 30' feet away from our camper, I can't hear it running.

I bought it based on recommendations from friends who own the same unit. It wasn't cheap, think I payed $1600-1700, but it works flawless.

It's not light tho' like the 1000 or 2000. I can lift it myself into my truck or camper, but its much easier with two people. Don't waste the money on the wheel kit for it, it doesn't go through grass or dirt very wheel. I was told that by the Honda dealer I bought the generator from.

Did I mention its quiet?
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee(8" lift, 37" tires) play rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

Here is a handy calculator:

Wattage Calculator

It lets you know "how much" generator you need!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Addicted Camper

Given the interest in this topic, here are two articles by the same author on small generators.

Compact Generators
Packable power

Ruide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Camping Guru

Good read, thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 02:00 PM

Wow! That's pretty much money for a RV generator. I didn't know what the prices were for the generators. Something that has more power and less noise might be expensive. I guess it's also heavy. The most important thing is noise and power. I would use two people for it. I have helped haul heavy things before too.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

Oh yeah... one more generator question for you all... What do you think of the trifuel models that run on LP, Natural gass, and Gasoline????

I mean, I am thinking of it in terms of being able to use it on the natural gas at home, and then run a tan of gasoline through it at the campsite, or hook it up the the LP if it ran outta gas.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

I have not heard anything good or bad about the tri-fuel generators. Maybe Ruide will have some insight on these.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:23 PM

When I bought my EU3000, the salesman said that he knew a couple of people that bought the 2000 & ran their a/c and claimed that they said they had no problems. He said that he feels at start up, the a/c draws so much power that it would not only shorten the life of their a/c unit, but also the generator.

As far as noise, with my generator running on the opposite side of my travel trailer, I can barely hear it.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 PM

Sounds like the Honda Eu3000 is the way to go. I have read a lot of good things about them, and this helps confirm that. Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I have not heard anything good or bad about the tri-fuel generators. Maybe Ruide will have some insight on these.

What I've read about are kits that allow you to convert a gas generator to run with propane and natural gas. While I'm always one that wants to be prepared for any situation, I will admit that I've opted to carry two 6 - gallon Gerry cans of gas with me (which I can also use in my TV). My other issue is that my generator is permanently mounted on the deck of my trailer so I would only need the propane option. However, I figured if I can't purchase gas I'm in deep trouble and I'd want to keep the propane for heat and cooking versus lights and cooling. It may be that I'm not that much of a survivalist.

Ruide.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:00 AM

Most of the camp grounds we go to does not allow generators. If I had one, I'm not sure when I would ever use it, unless I went to a primitive camping area.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Camping Guru

Yeah, I wonder that same thing, how much would I use it. Great for a power outage backup, but also expensive. If you dont do a lot of primitive camping, it may not be worth the price.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailfire99 View Post
Yeah, I wonder that same thing, how much would I use it. Great for a power outage backup, but also expensive. If you dont do a lot of primitive camping, it may not be worth the price.
We used ours a lot last summer camping. probably 7-8 trips. The other 7-8 times we camped was at a campground. We also used it twice at our house last summer during two power outage.

One camping trip last Sept camping at my buddies Jeep Pig Roast, we used it to power a welder to fix a Jeep. Everyone was impressed with that.

If you camp in campgrounds with electric a lot it's not worth the $$$. I think with fuel prices being $3.45 right now, we'll backwoods camp more this summer. We can do that 15 miles north of our house. So I'll be using the generator more.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Camping Guru

So where are you doing that at roadhouse? Farm land, family land, public land? Is it out in the middle of nowhere, or just some woods off the beaten path?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailfire99 View Post
So where are you doing that at roadhouse? Farm land, family land, public land? Is it out in the middle of nowhere, or just some woods off the beaten path?
State Land. AuSable State Forest is just north of us. Tons of trails, woods, seasonal roads etc. Kinda out in the middle of nowhere, but not to far from a few towns.

We also have Black Creek State Forest Campground about 8 miles from us. It has no electric, but pump water(certain spots), and pit toilets. It's a first come, first serve campground at $15 a night(no reservations). Just pick a site and put your money in the can up front. We might camp there a lot also. Even tho' I think $15 a night is too much for a rustic campsite, it will only cost us $10 or less in the Suburban to tow the camper there. It's just outside of town, in the woods on the water. Good bass, pike, and crappie fishing to keep the kids busy. Plus its usually at least 1/2 full, so there are other people to socialize with.