Propane On While Driving - Page 4 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

Propane On While Driving

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

In regards to the 110/12v refrigerator issue, the easiest solution I found during my travel trailer days, was to wire in a power inverter (12v to 110) and run the fridge off that while traveling. less than $150 in materials and gadgets, did the work myself, problem solved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Send a message via Yahoo to dchaviland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailfire99 View Post
Do you keep your propane bottles open while traveling down the road to operate the fridge? I think most people do, I was told to, but I have heard from a few people that they actually dont do this.
I had to re-read this thread and make sure I hadn't already replied to it. The reason this popped into my mind is that I'm not sure the Dometic fridge can run on 12V. As such, it needs either propane or 110VAC.

DW and I had a "stupid" moment when we pulled into San Antonio over New Years in a quick trip from Houston. Noted the fridge wasn't quite down to temp but thought nothing of it. Same thing happened on the way back. Then it hit us... the fridge won't fly on 12V so that is where we pulled out our taped walk thru when we bought the trailer. In it, they guy said, "we can't recommend you run the propane while traveling, but let's just say that many folks do run it to keep the fridge down to temp."

We don't have a problem when we load up for a trip as our RV is in a yard where there is power so our beast is plugged in 24/7 so the fridge is already cooled.

Our biggest problem is making sure when we put it bed in the storage yard that the gas switch is off for the water heater and that one of us has turned off the electric side of the water heater.

David
Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I found with the 12V in the popups, I had so run a shore line to the pup the day before, get the fridge nice and cold. The whole idea behind the 12v is to keep an already cold fridge cold. It was never designed to get the fridge cold by itself. That's what I liked about it. On a long trip the fridge is still cold and none of the food spoils. With the new trailer (travel Trailer) it always pluged in to the shore line at home once we pack up the fridge before we go, usually the night before, the fridge stays locked until we get to our destination. Never had a problem yet. If we do stop for some reason I'll put the gas on to cool it off and turn it off before we leave again. I found that the gas cools off the fridge quicker the shore line. anyone else find that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2018, 12:50 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Our generator, refrigerator, and some other appliances all run off liquid propane. We have to use these on moving day to keep these appliances working.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

as far as propane traveling sometime going through tunnels it posted not allowed go another way even if it it is turned off.