Weighing Your RV - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

Weighing Your RV

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Weighing Your RV

Has anyone officially weighed their RV / camper at a public scale?

I wouldnt mind weighing mine when I have a full load, but not sure where you would go. I dont think they will let me in the 18 wheeler weigh stations
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 07:34 PM

Hmm, thats an interesting one. I wouldnt imagine they would let you in on the interstate but I bet there are some places that have scales that you could weigh on. Whether they would charge you or not would be another qestion.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:00 AM

There are usually scales at contractor rental places, for heavy equipment/trucks. You can also check in the yellow pages, their should be some listings in your area in there as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailfire99 View Post
Has anyone officially weighed their RV / camper at a public scale?

I wouldnt mind weighing mine when I have a full load, but not sure where you would go. I dont think they will let me in the 18 wheeler weigh stations
Actually, you can weigh your trailer at any of the commercial truck weighing stations. Here is a picture of mine being weighed http://he-ruide.smugmug.com/gallery/...twRB#196446876

To find the nearest scale go to this web page http://www.bigrigjobs.com/Truck-Scales

Hope this helps

Ruide
Old 02-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Camping Guru

Thanks for the info Ruide, I had no idea you could do that. Did they charge you to weigh it? Nice rig by the way, that looks really nice!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Addicted Camper

Mailfire99, Thank you very much. Yes the Cat Scales charged me $8.50. I paid an extra dollar since I wanted to weigh with it unhitched (i.e, so I could get the axle and tongue weights) as well as it hitched. It would have been a couple more dollars if I wanted a certified weight, but that was not necessary. If I recall correctly, I could have gone back within 24 hours for a re-weigh.

Ruide
Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Camping Fanatic

Thats good info Ruide. I would like to get the packed weight of mine also. That is a nice rig, I agree. Do you haul anything on it, 4 wheeler or motorcycle?

Ford Mainline
Old 02-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Camping Extraordinaire

Hello heruide! So just out of curiosity-how much did it weigh?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Camping Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

Scrap Metal Yards also have weigh scales they may let you weigh your rig there too

http://www.prostateextremeteam.com/gifs/ribbon_sm.gif 2001 GMC Yukon 27' Shasta
Old 02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
Thats good info Ruide. I would like to get the packed weight of mine also. That is a nice rig, I agree. Do you haul anything on it, 4 wheeler or motorcycle?
Thanks Ctfortner. I did have a 750 BMW but my dear wife gave it away since I wasn't riding it. So now we make do with two mountain bikes .

But I do haul a lot of other stuff on the deck.... a tool box, generator, gas & water cans plus gray water tote. Here is what it looks like fully loaded http://he-ruide.smugmug.com/gallery/...WfTk#196539661

Ruide
Old 02-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by glfortner View Post
Hello heruide! So just out of curiosity-how much did it weigh?
Glfortner, The last time I weighed it fully loaded with water and gas, the total weight was 4140 pounds.

Ruide
Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Very nice, very nice. I really like that storage on the front. We are still looking into campers, may get one this year or next, but I do like that storage area. I guess you could tow that with about any vehicle to, since its fairly light.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiem View Post
Very nice, very nice. I really like that storage on the front. We are still looking into campers, may get one this year or next, but I do like that storage area. I guess you could tow that with about any vehicle to, since its fairly light.
Cassiem, Well light is relative. The limiting factor can be the tongue weight and corresponding hitch especially if you haul a four wheeler. The tongue weight can be in the 800 to 1,000 pound range and hence you are looking at a full size pickup with a Class IV hitch with a weight distribution system.

Ruide
Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Camping Guru

I was talking a friend about a Truck Scale weigh station. He lives in a small town and said that he has actually used the scales at their county dump station. They didnt charge him to do it either.

Something maybe worth checking out if you have one near you.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 PM

Thats interesting mailfire... I knew you could weigh them at some interstate scales, but havent heard about the dump stations before.

Very good point Ruide. You definitely have to be aware of your tongue weight and what class hitch your towing with.

If you were hauling a camper and thats it, the specs will be on the camper, or in the manual, and you can determine what type of vehicle hitch you have and if it can handle it.