Keystone VR1 - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

Keystone VR1

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Wow, that is a lot of work. Different times maybe a different result. Its a buyers market these day, I am sure you know, and I imagine it is tough selling a place right now. Keep us posted on it, hopefully things will work out and you can get your new RV and hit the road running. I would like to see you get that new keystone vr1, it is a very nice rig. Feel free to send us some peaches, my wife would be grateful forever

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM

Here's your peaches! Wish I could send the actual fruit.

Molly

Keystone VR1-summer-peaches-small-.jpg

Last edited by ctfortner; 03-11-2008 at 07:20 PM..
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Camping Fanatic

Well, that is almost as good

Thanks!

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Default Molly, Are you still in the Market for the VR1?

Hi Molly, I was reading your post and thought you might be interested in our VR1 for sale. It is barely used and has only gone on the road about 4 times to our property in Arizona where we keep it part of the year. I absolutely love it and we are wanting to sell it to buy another one - just a different, larger model. We spend alot of time on our Ranch in Arizona and so it is like a second home, which is why we want a little more room, but don't want the hassle of a fifth wheel. It is the model with the two captain chairs and the large windows in the V area - I think its the 297 model - it is a 2007 with the whitewashed cabinets and the cinnamon decor package. We are only looking to get what we owe on it and we have the 5 year extended warranty. We are in California - you can email me if you would like more info at [email protected]. In any event, I recommend this trailer.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Thanks for the offer!

I havn't posted here for months. Our business took a horrible turn last year and some days I feel like we'll never realize our dream. We still have so much to do before we sell our condo. We have been slooowly moving ahead though. It may be another year or two before we can leave. But for some reason, this past month the jobs have been pouring in. We now have more work than we know what to do with! So with every dime we receive we try to buy something. Last month we put in a new air conditioner! Now we need the convection oven/microwave, dishwasher, fridge (we have a tiny one for right now), drywall and insulation downstairs and fishish the tile and lighting in the bathroom. There are a few other items as well. We also hit a point where we need a good dose of motivation but with every small step forward, we're getting there. Hopefully by the time we are ready to sell, the market for condos should pick up with people wanting to downsize.

Yes, that's the VR1 that I want with the captains chairs and long windows . It is just gorgeous! I can see pointing it towards the surf and sitting for hours.

I appreciate your post and offer. I'm sure you will sell it in no time. It's a wonderful model.

Thanks!

Molly
Old 09-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Camping Fanatic

Good luck with everything Molly, keep us posted on the progress. It will all come together one day, just hang in there.

Ford Mainline
Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM

HI, I just stumbled upon this web site and found that you wanted info on the VR1 with the big front windows. We purchased one 2 years ago, it's an 2006, the first year they came out with the VR1's. This is the model we have the 297. We love it. We like the big bathroom and we're able to get around the bed with no problem. We've had 7-8 people in ours to eat and we had room to put up a cardtable and still get around it. The underbelly is insulated but it seems to be pretty sound proof too. It can be a gentle rain and we hardly hear it. The only thing I don't care for is the remote control furnace/ac. It seems like the AC is turning off and on all the time. Just 1-3 mins. in between it turning off and back on again. Myself, I would have rather had the one with the front kitchen, it has more counter space. But my husband wanted the one with the big windows. We can see everything that goes by! We own property in a private campground, so our unit is permanently park, so can tell you anything about towing. We've had a lot of compliments from people that see it because it is so new and no one else in the park has a trailer with the V front. We were at the Sport show in Omaha a couple of weeks ago, and there are several others that are now coming out with the V front trailers. Hope this answers any doubts you have Molly.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default vr1 complaint

Just found this site and joined today. I was looking for other people that may have had some issues with the VR1 trailers. We purchased the 305fks model of the VR1 and made our first trip in it. Day one we only made it 100 miles out and I stopped and called the dealer the same day. I had a terrible tail wagging the dog issue with this trailer. The dealer suggested I fill the fresh water tank since I was towing it empty and see if that would help. The full water tank only made the situation worse. The dealer said I needed to install some sway bars to go along with the equalizer hitch we had. We emptied the tank and returned to the dealer. So day two of the trip with an empty tank and new sway bars we did manage to make it to our destination but could only pull the trailer between 55 and 60 mph. Anything over that and the tail of the trailer started swaying and got worse the fast you went, and if a semi-truck passed you !!!!!!! We'll you better start praying and hold on for the ride of your life. Long story short we took the trailer back to the dealer after our trip to have it looked at again. We found tires were wearing bad after only 1000 miles on them and they were also cupping bad. The tongue weight was also found to be too lite and not heavy enough. The dealer confirmed that a full fresh water tank also took more weight off the tongue. We (dealer and I) are contacting Keystone and requesting they purchase this trailer back because the axels are not in the correct place and is giving this trailer a bad design safety flaw. As far as we know our trailer is not the norm. Wish us luck in dealing with the big company, and we will see what kind of customer satisfaction program they have.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Camper

We just purchased a 2008 VR1 305 FKS model. We chose it over other models because of the layout, and we got a one heck of a deal. I had been looking for a used one, but every used one I liked, this new VR1 was just a few thousand more, so we went new. I will be using it for a second home, staying in it 2-3 times a week, while I'm out of town at work. The cost of the trailer and the Travel Camp saves me close to $300 a month over a small apartment. We also get the added benifit of having something to show for the money we've spent. I've stayed in it for 5 nights so far. These are my observations so far:
1. The Auto AC/Furnance is a pain going on and off frequently. The AC unit is pretty loud.
2. I replaced the RV queen matress witha a standard queen pillow top matress I already had. It's tighter and I can't walk around the sides, but it's comfy which is what I want. I'm not towing it everywhere, so comfort is my #1 thought.
3. The table was to close to the back slide out wall, so I had to re adjust the spacing. No big deal. Easy fix.
4. We had heavy rains one night. I found water in the cabinets above the couch that are in the slide out. Now I'm not sure, but I either have a leak in the roof of the slide out or water somehow got up and under the rubber seal and leaked into the cabinets. It wasn't a lot, but none the less, I'm going to bring my ladder my next trip and take a look. Luckly its new, and still in warranty, but without a positive verification, I know the standard answer, "we were unable to duplicate the problem".

Other than that, it's been a good trailer. When I towed it, it stayed straight and true, so I hope Hanniwks can get his problem addressed soon.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Camper

You might look into having an awning put over your slides, we had water problems with slide outs before and our dealer said on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most necessary he gave it a 8 depending on how you use your trailer. The cost for installing 2 awnings total was 1000.00 and well worth the extra for the confort and lack of worry about water. Also, keeps the slide free of debre that can get into the camper when closing up. Doxielover
Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Camper

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about that, but $500 for a awning seems very high but hey what do I know?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Camper

you can save money by purchasing the awning and installing it yourself..that wasn't an option for us.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Camper

Default VR 1 complaint

I did find a solution to my towing problem with the VR 1 (305 model ) The dealership installed an additional 320 pounds of weight in the nose of the trailer. We found out the hitch weight was to lite and that was causing the bad sway issue. Keystone placed the fresh water tank to far back on the trailer so when it is filled the hitch wieght becomes to lite. But I also found another fix to the problem of this trailer swaying bad, I traded it in on a motorhome.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Camper

That was a good solution...the fifth wheel as a rule does not have the same problems that a trailer has being pulled because it is in the back of the truck, more stable and the weight is helped by the truck itself. I love the room in a fifth wheel..feel right at h ome and they have so much storage room...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 PM

Default Same place as you.!!!

Hi Molly,
I am new to this place just signed up...!! But like you, I am very interested in the VR1 also from keystone. My husband and I are also in the means of selling things and the house off and going on the road also to play for a while then make it a full time thing. I have not seen one for myself either and have not had any good luck finding one close by to look at. I live in Arizona. After all the research we have done the front kitchen VR1 looks like the best one for us, and looks easy to pull too. We have a 27 foot jayco jayflight right now with no slides on it but its crowded with two of us and 2 dogs. We need 2 slides for room. Remember the best advise, have your hand on the trailer with the keys dangling from your little finger and the paper work in the thumb and fore finger. Then with the other hand give the dealer or seller the money. (make sure all is sign, sealed, legal,) Then and only then enjoy... !!! Take care, Iris