Camper cleaning - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

Camper cleaning

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Default Camper cleaning

Ok so I thought id try this here what do you guys use to clean your campers I hate the job myself and waxing Id rather get a tooth pulled But my real question is how does anyone clean the top of there power awnings
Thanks PS my camper is fiberglass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Addicted Camper

I clean my trailer with Korkay. I've been using for a long time now. It takes the black streaks right off and it doesn't harm the decals. Then I use a good car wash with wax in it and wash the trailer again. I use a soft brush on the end of an extendable painters pole. Bought at Lowes. Early spring I wash and hand wax.
I don't have a power awning, but I use the same cleaner and brush. My awning is going to be10 yrs old and still looks good, except for a few acorn holes. I do the top from the top of the trailer. You get more leverage that way. If you can't get to your roof just use the painters pole and the soft brush.
If you keep the roof clean it will cut down on the black streaks on the side of the trailer. You can also extend the rain caps on the ends of the gutters.

Bob
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Thanks good ideas I looked up the Korkay stuff Ill try some do you just spray it on? then wipe off or wash off with water? And its the hand waxing that makes me want to run away man these things are beasts to wax LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Addicted Camper

I wet down the trailer and spray it on a10' wide area bottom to top. You don't need a lot. Then I use the soft brush and extenda pole. Wash off when done with a hose. Then go to the next section. Don't let the cleaner dry. If it starts to, just spray a mist of water on it and keep on cleaning.
Some other things I've tried is Awesome, dollar store item and Simple Green. They both worked pretty good, but the simple green lightened my decals where it ran down. Made lines.
Simonize made a liquid wax that you could put in a pressure washer with the mixing unit on it. Just spray the mix on and let it sit, then hose it off. It worked real good as far as putting wax on, but they stopped making it. Go figure.
The two places that really need attention, on my trailer anyway, was the nose cone and rear cap. I make sure to wax them both good by hand. Sorry.
It takes me a day to do my trailer. I don't do the whole thing in one day, just total time. Usually one of the neighbors needs a hand or hands me a beer. Doesn't take much to get me off the ladder for a bit.

Bob
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke

Last edited by dogbone; 03-21-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Thanks Bob yeah I need a neighbor hahaha We dont have any close but Ill order that stuff and give it a try. And your right those are the places I need to do as well,If I do the roof early and most of the top sections I could be drinking by noon with my feet safely on the ground
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Addicted Camper

My trailer is up at the campground, always someone to lend ya a hand. Sorta speak.
I use protectal roof protection on the roof. Some say not to, but to me it slows down the chalking, which makes a lot of the black streaks. The wax I use is NU Finnish. Been using it for years on my cars and trucks. Easy on and off liquid. They say it's a once a year wax.
You wait til noon? We are headed up, to camp, this coming weekend. Going to clean up the leaves I missed in the fall and start putting out some of the garden stuff around my water park. Got to get it all done before the rest of the campers come up so I can give them a hand.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Ok well I ordered some of the korkay stuff and will give it a try. And yes I live by the beer light rule 12:00 the light comes on then all bets are off hahaha its how you know you don't have a problem LOL
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Toy Hauler

As far as cleaning the top of power awning goes use a soft brush on extension poll and some boat/RV vinyl cleaner and conditioner. Start with the awning in the stored position, scrub the top and exposed edge of the awning and if the suns out or its hot rinse it off before extending the awning. Extend the awning a little at a time and scrub the edge that's still wrapped on the winder - this way you can exert more pressure with the brush. For the bottom it's best to have fully extended, use the soft brush and extension poll - someone will probably get wet cleaning the bottom...
Old 06-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I clean my trailer with Korkay. I've been using for a long time now. It takes the black streaks right off and it doesn't harm the decals. Then I use a good car wash with wax in it and wash the trailer again. I use a soft brush on the end of an extendable painters pole. Bought at Lowes. Early spring I wash and hand wax.
I don't have a power awning, but I use the same cleaner and brush. My awning is going to be10 yrs old and still looks good, except for a few acorn holes. I do the top from the top of the trailer. You get more leverage that way. If you can't get to your roof just use the painters pole and the soft brush.
If you keep the roof clean it will cut down on the black streaks on the side of the trailer. You can also extend the rain caps on the ends of the gutters.

Bob
For awning..Korkay or the car wash and wax?
Thank's
Old 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Addicted Camper

Just the Korkay. The car wash with wax just goes on the trailer.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

We got the Adjust-a-Brush set from CampingWorld. The telescoping poles can extend up to 70" so it makes it easy to clean the top of your RV and your awnings. Ours has got a Water Flo-Thru mechanism so it brings water into the brush for washing and rinsing. For the cleaner, we use Thetford RV Awning Cleaner.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

DogBone,
In your earlier reply you talk about : "You can also extend the rain caps on the ends of the gutters." how do you go about doing that? Fiberglass or aluminum self built gutters?

Thanks,
Monty
Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montypp View Post
DogBone,
In your earlier reply you talk about : "You can also extend the rain caps on the ends of the gutters." how do you go about doing that? Fiberglass or aluminum self built gutters?

Thanks,
Monty
You can buy extensions that snap on - search for it on camping world's site (I would give you a link but their site is down this morning).
Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montypp View Post
DogBone,

Thanks,
Monty
You can do as Old Guy said. When I did mine they didn't make them yet. I took a soda or a water bottle and cut it. Then I glued the piece to the bottom of the original end cap. The piece was about 1" by 2 1/2 ". The 1" gets glued to the bottom of the end cap.

Bob
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Camper

Thanks.

Monty