Safe roof for servicing leaky A/C mount? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

Safe roof for servicing leaky A/C mount?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Question Safe roof for servicing leaky A/C mount?

My Friend Ruth has a leaking issue around where the A/C unit mounts to the roof (1994ish Empire Travel Trailer, Approx 33 ft long). The roof has that rubber membrane stretched out over it, Both ends, maybe 10 ft. in on both ends the roof does not have a hard subsurface. However around the A/C unit the subsurface deck seems sturdy enough to put some weight on.

Question - Is this sturdy subsurface around the A/C unit there to allow for servicing the A/C unit ... thus made to be walked on? I will stop by a Travel trailer/RV shop next time I can to ask, mean time I'm posting question here.

Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I walk on my roof to clean it and to get debris off the slides, to pull them in. You will be fine. You can put a piece of plywood, acrossed the rafters, around the AC unit. 2'x6' on both sides, of the AC unit, if it makes you feel more comfortable. It will spread the weight out six feet and on 3 rafters, instead of one place. Just make sure there is nothing on the roof or the plywood that will make a hole in the membrane.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke

Last edited by dogbone; 09-26-2011 at 11:54 AM..
Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Hmmmm, sounds familiar.

All fixed RV roofs are designed to allow walking on. Unless someone has not repaired something correctly or there is a structural problem, the roof is okay. The materials used on the roof might sag a little when you walk on it, but that's only because the material is flexible, but overall it is supported properly by the frame.

For popups or other roofs that are raised, they can usually be walked on when lowered into the travel/storage position.

Roofs can actually support more than one person, too, as long as they walk separately. I wouldn't recommend "piggybacking" since that would increase the weight on the same spot to some extent. I hope you get the idea.

Since service and maintenance are expected for all RVs, the roofs are structurally sound to allow for this. Obviously, no jumping, tumbling or other types of ridiculous movement. If there is roof damage, then that area should be a concern, but you should certainly be able to go up there to fix it.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Camper

ArtMart, Yes Sounds good - Thanks for fast response...

Last edited by shmmoz; 09-26-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Camper

Yes - Thanks Dogbone, I saw that in another posting.
I'll try to up load a diagram for all to see.

Last edited by shmmoz; 09-28-2011 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: To add an illustrating comment.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

After watching "How it's Made" the Episode on Rv's the companies build a frame like a mobile home and then put on all the plastic/Vinyl to make it pretty looking. If you need some parts to fix that roof you can find some at RV Parts, RV Accessories, RV Windows and Custom RV Parts @ All-Rite - Roofing as just an suggestion.

Places I have Camped at Civilian/Army
Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Camper

JoeS, Thanks for the link.