Advice for camping generator - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

Advice for camping generator

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 01:17 AM
Camper

Question Advice for camping generator

We just purchased our first RV, a 2017 Keystone Hideout. As we are brand new to the camping world, we need some expert advice on what kind of generator to purchase. It has a 13,500 BTU air conditioner. Of course, we want enough power to operate the TV, microwave, phones, blow dryer, etc. We were told we should get the Honda EU3000i Handi, along with the companion. However, that is a ~$2,400+ purchase. Do we need to go that expensive? Any advice/help you can give would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 12:15 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Popup

You'll like my opinion even less than what you've already been told.

First of all, I went through the same cringing when I was looking at Honda generator prices. But, after seeing hundreds of reviews for other brands that included the words, "should have bought the Honda", I knew there was a reason they command the prices they do. I saw way too many of the reviews for the other brands listing issues with starting, leaking and/or a lack of customer service. So, rather than buy a Generac, a Champion, a Yamaha or a Ryobi, some for considerably less money, I shelled out the big bucks for a 2200i. It's still fairly new - only had it for a few months - but, so far, I love it. It usually starts on the first pull, sometimes the second when it's really cold - and it's SUPER quiet, especially in Eco-mode.

The other part you'll probably hate. Unless you also buy an extended run time kit, the run time on the Handi will have you refueling way too often to enjoy your A/C. I've looked at those kits and all I see is too much potential for spilled fuel, either from leaks or, more likely, when trying to disconnect the system. I would say to look at the 3000is and get two of those. Unfortunately, the 3000s weigh almost twice as much as the Handis.

All in all, just some more stuff to complicate your decision. Sorry.

Handi and 3000is Comparison