Rubber Roof Leak Repair - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

Rubber Roof Leak Repair

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Good luck, truly great stuff. Take some before and after pics and post them if you can, others would really benefit from that!

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Great find Ctfortner and thanks for sharing!
Old 05-10-2010, 04:57 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Re: Rubber Roof Leak Repair

Great Discussion shared here.Roofing is so important for a building.

Last edited by happiestcamper; 05-10-2010 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Removed advertising not relevant to camping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Camper

Default Repair Pictures part one

I took my new to me rig to my spot on the river this weekend and after setup I decided to get some of the seams sealed up before it rained. This is a 1995 Jayco 3020FK with the fiberglass front and rear caps and a rubber roof. The roof was coated one time in it's life and that was done poorly.

This is the front seam before Eternabond.

This is after cleaning up the loose stuff and rubbing it all down with rubbing alcohol and applying the tape. I went to pick up Acetone or lacquer Thinner, but I could only find it in gallons and I wasn't spending $15 for a gallon. The rubbing alcohol worked out well, everything stuck very well.

Here's one of the vents before repair, I guess I didn't take one of the after. I did roll the tape up the metal frame a little.

And the before of the skylight, after I had started removing the silicone and loose putty.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Camper

Default Repair Pictures part two

And after repair. I wish I would have had the extra cash for a new skylight since I was down to the screws, but the water heater tank was busted so I opted to just stop any leaks.

This stuff is easy to use, just scrape back all of the loose old putty that you can with a plastic putty knife, clean and allow to dry. Make sure you remove all silicone, even Eternabond doesn't stick to silicone. Cut your tape to length, remove a portion of the release liner and apply the tape while pulling the release liner from underneath. I rolled what I could and rubbed down the rest with my hand and a rag. I pulled back a few areas to check the initial bond and it stuck very well. Thank you Eternabond, good stuff! I don't even have stuff like this and I'm in the adhesive business.

Here is what the rest of the roof looks like prior to re-coating it.

I will be pressure washing to remove the coating that the previous owner applied in colder temps on an uncleaned roof. I'll do a followup of the rest of the roof if you all want to see how it turns out. I hope to have it finished before the Indy 500 so I can sit under the awning and drink beer and watch the race while smoking some pork.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Camping Fanatic

Great stuff Hoosier. Good pics and info there, should definitely help some folks out along the way. The enternabond seals and lays very nice doesnt it?

Ford Mainline
Old 06-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

I belong to a site called MyRVParks.com and a member is having some problems in which your post would really be helpful. I reposted your post there with "all credit" to you of course.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Camping Fanatic

That's great, especially if you added a link back to this topic, this way they are able to see all the information from others and maybe will share their info with us as well as they do the same thing.

Ford Mainline
Old 06-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
That's great, especially if you added a link back to this topic, this way they are able to see all the information from others and maybe will share their info with us as well as they do the same thing.
Great idea! Most expensive failure to date - RV Forums - myRVparks.com
Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Camping Fanatic

LOL, I actually meant a link from the site you posted it on, back to this topic, so they could see all of the info shared here and maybe add in here what they do to fix theirs.

Ford Mainline
Old 06-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

I posted this post link on their site and vica versa.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Camper

Thumbs up Eternabod for repair

I used the eternabond to repair a sun damaged part on a slideout awning more than a year ago. I scrubbed the area clean before application and dried it. After one year the edges were already peeling up. I pulled it off easily suggesting that it wasn't stuck very well. It was in direct sun in Denver for a year, but that wasn't a very good patch.
For your rubber roof, I would use the Dicor patch kit that Camping world sells. Dicor is the manufacturer of the rubber roofs, so they should know how to do it. I just added a patch to an area on my roof that was ripped by branches. If it fails I will tell you, but the kit came with flowing caulk to seal the edges, I think that will be much more solid.
David
PS I did not mean a thumbs up for Eternabond. But for Dicor

Last edited by davidsppixx; 07-08-2010 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: THumbs up signal misleading
Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Please let me know how that goes David! I'm over in Parker and although my tops solid, I know I'll have to do it sooner or later.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Camper

Default Siding Repair Houston

I have just recently replaced my siding, however, I did do it myself. Now I think I have installed it incorrectly.

So now I really need some help for my siding repair. Could you give me some advice or recommend someone please?

I did saw this video and I admit it was useful. However, I really cannot afford to make another mistake so I really like to get more details on this before deciding what to do.

Thanks for the help in advance! =)
Old 09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Camper

Hello. I am new to the forum and am current rehabbing a 16' 1972 Jayco for a hunting/fishing trailer for my kids & I. It has had extensive leaking on both front and rear roof corners down. I have removed most of the damaged paneling but am now ready to replace the studs (1x2's). But I will need to remove the fifty pounds (approximately) of silicone caulking on the outside. Is there anything that removes it from the aluminum siding? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Russ
PS: any suggestions to make the unit more usable for hunting/fishing are welcome also.