Hey everyone! - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > New Member Introductions

Hey everyone!

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Default Hey everyone!

Hey everyone, I just happened to stumble on to this site... what a find.
We are part time / first time campers and just got a 2006 30' Coachmen Class C. What would you guys use for privacy in the front (windshield / driver-passenger window)? Also, it has a rubber roof in great condition and would like to keep it that way. It will be stored outside, should I buy a cover or just regularly clean and treat it?
Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Welcome. My friend bought a privacy curtain from Campers World. It wraps around all of the front windows.
Your roof is going to bring up a host of opinions, from do nothing to Clorox and brush it. One thing for sure, put no petroleum base product on it. I clean mine with soap and water and a medium brush. After it dries, I use Protect all Rubber Roof preservative with a sponge mop. I get mold up on mine and the Protect All makes it easier to get off. Protect All makes a cleaner also, but I found it wasn't worth the price. Soap and water worked better.
I don't cover my trailer. I found that the cover scratches my gel coat. It's about 50/50 at the campground, as to cover or not to cover.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Camping Guru

I pretty much agree with dogbone but there are cleaners for rubber roofs. It is important to keep it clean and treat the roof to keep it protected. Don't use any citrus or food scented cleaners on any part of the rig or you might get animals (like birds) thinking your RV is food.

Covers are a personal preference. They need to fit correctly or you get rub marks or other damage. Then remember the covers will wear out too, then have to keep replacing them, too. I don't use a cover because I'm mostly lazy and with my rig in the driveway, I use it and need to get into all parts of it all the time and don't want to mess with a cover.

It also depends on where you live and what you park under.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Thanks for the replies. The camper is parked in outside storage with no trees in the lot. So it sounds like if you keep up with the roof and regulary clean and inspect it, outside storage is no big deal. My concern was that if it is covered for a fair amount of time here in Florida there would be a mold issue. Do most of the covers "breath"? I don't want anything that is going to act like a plastic bag over the rig.
As far as privacy - do any of you know of an interior form fitting shade or cover for the windshield and driver / passenger side windows?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Camping Guru

Yes, most covers breath that I know of, but there can still be some mold caused by so much precipation and drying out occurs too slowly. Covers don't protect from rain since they must be breathable.

The covers protect from bird droppings, debris, things from above or from the sides. Besides a lot of sporadic rain and dry spells another thing to watch for with an RV cover is wind! The cover needs to be snug, but if not snug enough the flapping cover fabric can cause wear spots, but if too snug, then you can get wear spots too and the sun will typically wear out the cover at those spots.

Just know the possibilities and don't ignore the rig. I have seen covered and stored rigs that are obviously forgotten about and the covers will have wear and tear and causing all kinds of problems. The covers themselves need some care and maintenance. This is why I don't use one, save the time and money for one and just leave everything to fate.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 08-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Addicted Camper

Check this out at Campers World, as far as windshield curtains. Search - privacy curtains - Camping World I guess this is what your looking for.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke