Gas Mileage Towing Teardrop - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > New Member Introductions

Gas Mileage Towing Teardrop

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2019, 01:36 AM
Camper

Default Gas Mileage Towing Teardrop

I bought a Chevrolet Equinox AWD LT with rated towing capacity of 2500 lbs to tow my 2000 lb (wet) Teardrop [email protected] I get 28 mpg highway when not towing and 12 mpg towing in the plains on crude at 65 mph. Gross trailer, occupants and luggage weight was under 2500 lbs. This did not seem right to me so I called GM. They said there was nothing wrong. Does anyone have a similar experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 11:39 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

I don't think GM is wrong. I looked up some specs on the Equinox and I see that the 2017 model is rated to tow 3,500 pounds with a 182 horsepower engine. Since your vehicle is only rated to 2,500 pounds, you're obviously dealing with an even smaller engine and/or a transmission that also plays a part in the towing equation. It seems to me that your tow vehicle weight to trailer weight ratio is pretty high and you're pushing your tow rating too close to the limit on a smaller engine.

Years ago, I had a small popup that I was pulling with a V6 Dodge Dakota rated to tow around 5,000 pounds. The popup weighed under 1,000 pounds dry and my mileage still took a bit of a hit even on flat roads. Going up mountains I could really feel that I was pulling something. I now have a 400+ horsepower RAM that is supposedly rated to tow over 10,000 pounds, but I wouldn't even think about pulling anything close to even 7,000 pounds. Aside from the mileage hit, the stress on the engine and transmission will do nothing but shorten the life of the drive train.

Last edited by MacGyver; 08-31-2019 at 12:44 AM..
Old 08-31-2019, 02:00 AM
Camper

Thanks MacGyver! I should have looked up the specs first. HP is 252, towing capacity is 3500 lbs and vehicle weight is 3610 (high ratio). Probably doesn't change anything though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I was going to cut/paste some information from what we use to tow a caravan, ie, the weight of car and the weight of the caravan. We have an 85% rule against kerbweight. But looking at the information, I don't know whether you guys have the info in your car about weights (in this country - UK - its in the doorwell on the driver's side. There's also the same thing on caravans, usually positioned at the side of the door on the outside of the caravan. And its all in metric. If you wish me to cut and paste the info for help, I can do that. The 85% rule isn't written in stone, because if you are used to towing, this may not really apply, but one thing not to do is go over the 100% rule.