When is the last time you visited your state parks? - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Featured Articles and Discussions

When is the last time you visited your state parks?

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Babstreefern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Camper Type: Tent

Default When is the last time you visited your state parks?

When is the last time you visited your state parks?-hiking-gifts.jpg

Quote:
When is the last time you explored your local state parks? Often times I find that people donít realize how many state park activities are right in their own area. Take the time to explore your state park to find out what services they provide. As an example, in Texas, many of the parks even offer free fishing equipment that you can borrow while you are camping there. Exploring Your State Parks
When is the last time you visited your state parks?

Do you have any favorites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

We have parks over here, and it depends on what you want to do. When visiting your country a couple of times, I was surprised that you have to pay to enter, which doesn't happen over here in England. You can do pretty much anything, eg, rock climbing, caving, fishing, hiking (the Pennine Way stretches 250 miles from Derbyshire to the Scottish border, going through the Peak District and the North Yorkshire Moors, to name 2 of our parks) and even off-road cycling, but you do need to bring your own tackle. But my favourite park has got to be Dartmoor National Park, which has Dartmoor Prison (mentioned in The Hound of the Baskervilles), and where, apologies here, some of your countrymen were prisoned here as POWs in the early 1800s, as well as the French during the Napoleonic wars. If hiking in this place, you do have to watch where you tread as you can drown in the bogs and can be very dangerous areas
MacGyver likes this.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babstreefern View Post
I was surprised that you have to pay to enter...
That's one of the reasons I call Maryland the Tax Me State. I know it's not limited to here, but the fees for our State Parks are ridiculous. $6.25 per reservation ($6.25 per night at one location), $4.75 per transaction to cancel or change a reservation (Per night at the same location), one top of an average $20 per night just for a primitive site. And these are sites that are pretty much on top of each other. There are day use per person charges, music permit charges and boat launch charges. I know there are costs for maintenance and staff and such, but it just seems odd that I can drive two hours to a State Forest which has the same maintenance and staff overhead (if not more, considering the vast acreage they cover) and only pay $10 a night - for a site where I can't see or hear my neighbors, with no transaction fees, no launch fees, no nothing extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babstreefern
...apologies here, some of your countrymen were prisoned here as POWs in the early 1800s...
No need to apologize. First of all, you weren't responsible (unless you're 200 years old and were there) and second, that's just a part of what happens when playing War. Carte blanche for so-called civilized people to do all kinds of nasty things you wouldn't do otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Thank you MacGyver, you're so sweet By the way, Dartmoor Prison is still in use today, although a small part has a museum that can be visited.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

The last state park I visited, day use only was Patapsico, it's so close, don't remember the dates. The last camping was tuckahoe, that was in October of 2013, I'm pretty sure.

MacGyver, the SP you're referring to having the nightly fee would be assateague, correct? I'm pretty certain that is the only exception to the per/reso fee. But honestly, if you love the ocean, it's worth it, that was my family vacation growing up, and my favorite camping spot for most of my years.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:36 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesycampgirl View Post
The last state park I visited, day use only was Patapsico, it's so close, don't remember the dates. The last camping was tuckahoe, that was in October of 2013, I'm pretty sure.

MacGyver, the SP you're referring to having the nightly fee would be assateague, correct? I'm pretty certain that is the only exception to the per/reso fee. But honestly, if you love the ocean, it's worth it, that was my family vacation growing up, and my favorite camping spot for most of my years.
I pass all the areas of Patapsco just about every week for work - Hollifield daily - but have never stayed at any of 'em. I keep telling myself to tour the campgrounds, or at least stop and ask the Rangers what's what, but in the end I guess I just can't bring myself to pony up that much money to camp. I can't stand paying "fees". If an online site charges convenience fees for paying online, I go old school and mail 'em a check. I've changed banks several times because of the various fees they try to tack on

Yeah - it's Assateague. I figure I'll hit Assateague at least once before I check out, but the one thing that keeps me from going through with it are the reports from a cousin of mine who goes there every year. I hate mosquitoes and flies. As much as I like canoeing and fishing, I won't even take a site at Green Ridge that's anywhere near the river for the same reason.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

One day, I just might camp at patapsco, though sadly with the flooding, not anytime soon.

I grew up camping there for two weeks every summer. Sometimes the Mosquitos were horrible, other times, not even as bad as they've been at plans I've lived. It really has to do with the direction of the wind, if there's a good breeze coming off the ocean, you won't see too many blood suckers. Breeze coming from inland, it's unbearable. Bayside is always bad. You should definitely take a screen house for dining, it helps.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:04 PM
Addicted Camper

I'm going to have to check out the local parks soon. The weather this weekend is going to be about as perfect as it can get in August but I got off of work too late to go out to Western Maryland. I'm kinda hatin' it that I'm home. Not having to pay for a tank of gas will offset the extra cost of the sites here and I can get there in less than half an hour - even in that oh so special Friday Ellicott City traffic.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:41 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Macgyver, I'm curious, did you ever make it to the local campground?
Old 08-26-2018, 05:01 PM
Addicted Camper

I was going to try going one day after work, but this is already making me a little crazy. Typical of our lovely state, they've complicated something simple. I'm checking out what I can online and there don't seem to be any maps of the loops, just small blurry pictures of the individual sites. The Park Service site links to Google maps which doesn't tell you much of anything except that it does point out the Hollofield Campground Outhouse. Very odd. But the real head scratcher is that the online reservation system won't let me reserve sites in advance. For the arrival date, the drop down menu only goes to today's date, so I can't put in a future date. I even tried three different browsers in case it was a browser issue. Nope. Can't reserve a site in advance. So much for a reservation system...

I dunno... I might still go and see if they'll let me run through the loops to see what's what. And I'll try to not act surprised if they charge me an entry fee.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

I'm wondering if this park only offers "walk-ins", no reservations. Strange, yes I don't like the pic angles of sites they have, hard to tell anything.

I just checked, they do only offer walk-in, no future resos. I'm guessing it's best to check on the day you want for availability. I don't know, I may check it out in the fall, or wait till next year.

Last edited by Jonesycampgirl; 08-26-2018 at 06:38 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 08:53 AM
Administrator

I do the vast majority of my camping in Texas State Parks.