Camper Community Forums banner

Do You Have Any Tips For People Who Camp Alone?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ppine 
#1 ·
Sky Plant Daytime Ecoregion People in nature

It always catches me off guard when people express concern when they find out I am going camping alone. For me, there is no stronger feeling of freedom than the one I feel when I am solo tent camping, surrounded by nature. Solo Tent Camping
Do you have any tips for people who camp alone?

See less See more
#2 ·
- Always tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back.
- Pack a decent first aid kit along with some sort of signalling device(s). I carry a Storm whistle.
- Carry a cellphone even if you're going to an area without service. You might have to hike to use it, but they're indispensable in an emergency.
- If going to very remote areas, consider purchasing a locator beacon device.
- Adrenaline junkie activities are better left to group camping.

#3 ·
That's me now. My hubby passed away last month. I've decided to keep the caravan and start up on my own next year. I actually did a towing course last month, which I enjoyed. The tutor already had a caravan that could be used. So hooked it up, and had 4 hours enjoyable towing. He took me on the motorway (or freeway), then he took me into the local towns, Macclesfield, Congleton and Wilmslow, all large towns in Cheshire, and not for the faint-hearted either:). So now that I'm more confident, will be going out next year. The last time me and Tom went out was last year in the September, and when we got back we took most of the stuff out for over winter (we were fair weathered people:)), so couldn't be bothered to load it all back in, only to empty it the following week. So next Spring, I'm off with my mainecoon cat Timber to wherever:)

#4 ·
The first time I went on a solo survival challenge I had made a shelter and a makeshift cot inside. After I had fallen asleep and a couple of hours later the fire was almost burned out I was woken up by a raccoon in my shelter with me.

Here watch this video, this guy shared good tips from this experience.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69-4K0Wyyg[/ame]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.