How to Remove Black Streaks - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Tips and Hints

How to Remove Black Streaks

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 PM

Default RV Black Streaks

Advertising removed

Last edited by ctfortner; 05-18-2008 at 09:04 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the info on the Purple Power . I was looking at that stuff at Lowes on Friday night before reading this thread . So Saturday morning i went and got some . I mixed it 8oz of Purple Power and 16oz of water (2 :1 ) and scrubbed the heck out of the roof . It worked wonderful . The only concern i had is that on the bottle it said not to use on automotive finishes , so just make sure when you do the sides of your camper to only do little sections at a time and make sure you rinse the camper really well . I don't know if the stuff will hurt the finish or not , but no more black streaks on our new camper . .....See ya around the campfire
Old 05-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Send a message via Yahoo to dchaviland
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill0830 View Post
A power washer was mentioned earlier, but you really have to watch out using on, as they will also damage, or even take off the decals that are found on most campers. There is not an easy way to get the black steaks off. I have used awning cleaner on a sponge and that works really well, but it requires some elbow grease.
What do the RV lots use to keep their inventory clean? Or are they constantly washing their units? I had streaks, small ones, on a trade in trailer when we upgraded to a 5th wheel, and we saw our old trailer after they prepped it... OMG! I almost didn't recognize it. I figure they have something they use in a scubber that takes care of all that stuff.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Best black streak remover that I have found is called "Reliable 1". I have tried about every cleaner imaginable and found none of the popular commercial or "home remedies" worked as well as this cleaner. After much disappointment and disgust with the other so-called black streak removers, I finally asked my dealer at Trailer City, Fairmont WV, what they used to keep even the used RV models so clean. It's a right "off the shelf" cleaner and is packaged in 32 oz. spray bottles and 1 gallon refills. Very reasonably priced and totally biodegradable. Check it out. you wont be dissappointed.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimconti View Post
Best black streak remover that I have found is called "Reliable 1". I have tried about every cleaner imaginable and found none of the popular commercial or "home remedies" worked as well as this cleaner. After much disappointment and disgust with the other so-called black streak removers, I finally asked my dealer at Trailer City, Fairmont WV, what they used to keep even the used RV models so clean. It's a right "off the shelf" cleaner and is packaged in 32 oz. spray bottles and 1 gallon refills. Very reasonably priced and totally biodegradable. Check it out. you wont be dissappointed.

It sounds like this product works awesome but here is another product that you can use and buy online if you dont want to travel so far to a store. Its call citrus cleaner and can be bought online at all-rite.com

Places I have Camped at Civilian/Army

Last edited by JoeS; 07-20-2011 at 11:12 AM..
Old 07-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Addicted Camper

I use Korkay Black Streak Remover. Awesome works also. Simple Green works, but it left white lines down my decals. Faded them a bit I guess.

Keeping your roof clean is the best way to reduce the streaks. I use my small pressure washer and scrub with Korkay. After it dries, I put a preservative on it. Clean rain gutters also. I have been told a mild solution of bleach works, on the roof. I haven't tried it. I'm not sure what it will do to the sides and decals.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Camping Guru

DO NOT use any cleaner that has a citrus type odor to it. Smells GREAT, but then animals like it too. They'll tear up wherever it's used since it smells like food. I have read testimonials of owners who used this type of cleaners on the roof and elsewhere and it attracted rodents and birds which then caused damage.

Many cleaners also require themselves to be rinsed off. Don't forget this step if the cleaner even suggests it. Leaving a cleaner on your rig with this requirement can cause damage to whatever surface it's used on.

I also would not recommend using WD-40 on an RV's rubber roof. It will leave a residue behind (which is it's strength for lubrication purposes) and should not be left on a roof. I don't know if trying to completely rub it off is possible because it might get absorbed by a rubber roof and this is the bad part. Sorry I don't have a recommendation what to use, but I know something about what not to use (from others' horror stories). For whatever reason, my rig doesn't get black streaks. I rinse and mop my roof about every 6 months to take off any gathered dirt with just plain old water because I'm scared to ruin my roof and it's a pain to get up there and clean it. I also don't know if it makes a difference but our trips have never been too far and I wonder if traveling longer distances and exposing the rig to many different temperatures and climate makes a different. I live in Southern California where the temperatures are considered temperate (not varying too much).

Black streaks are a bane of an RV owner. I think there is a cleaner called "Awesome" or some catchy name like that which might work. Again, sorry about the lack of help. RV shops have all kinds of cleaners and better yet, find a roof cleaner AND conditioner. Allegedly, these can prevent the black streaks in the first place.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 07-21-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Old 06-02-2012, 04:11 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

We have used DriWash n Guard for years which also removes black streaks. There is also products specifically made to remove black streaks however we like DWG better.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Camper

Most any RV supply store will have a product called (of all things) Black Streak Remover. There are several different brand but they all work about the same. I think you can get it at Walmart also. Just remember, if you have wax on your RV this will remove it also.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

scrub scrub scrub. Or, if you're lazy you could just tape off the area and paint the whole camper white again lol.

I recommend some soap and knee pads, and lots of scrubbing.