how to hook up internet - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Tips and Hints

how to hook up internet

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 AM

I have had this problem before, but it would light and not stay lit. The problem was rusty carbon deposits on the burner tube. Cleaned real well and fixed the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 09:30 PM

Default internet accesss while camping

Hi.. I appreciated your post on Camper Community. I've been trying to figure out how to get internet access on my laptop while camping without spending a fortune.

I subscribe to DirectTv at my home. We purchased a dish for our TV while camping, which works fine for basic TV most of the time.

I have a Verizon cell phone. Their card for internet access will cost me about $75.00. I can handle that, but then they want an additional $60 to $80 a month for internet service.

I'm trying to avoid that expense if possible.

Am I correct that with the card only from sprint, you can access the satellite internet without having to pay your cell phone company any additional money, that you just use your dish to access the internet?

I'd appreciate your coments.

Thank you.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

annette, I have a sprint card for internet, which is completely separate from phone service. You can get an wireless internet card from sprint, verizon, etc, but you will be paying around $60/month for either.

There is not a card you can buy (that I am aware of), that does not require a monthly internet fee. The directv dish is completely seperate from sprint or verizon cards, and the dish will not allow you use the internet.

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Angry Wasps

Check too to make sure that there are no un wanted guests building a home in the burner...Wasps seem to be attracted to the odor of propane.....I took my refrigerator cover off and put fiberglass screen on the inside of the vent slots and taped it with duct tape then put it back on....you can not see it from the outside and it keeps the critters out...also put the metal screens on your heater and water heater holes also....
Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Although I visit camp sites that have a WiFi network available for campers, it usually is not secure.

My choice was the Verizon service using their USB727. The USB727 has an external antenna connector that allows be to use either an amplifier or a larger yagi antenna for more reliable connections when I am out in the sticks.

Much easier that Hughes satellite setup, more secure that free offerings on WiFi (802.11).

And, it works great while driving down the road in the motorhome.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Send a message via Yahoo to dchaviland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg7il View Post
Although I visit camp sites that have a WiFi network available for campers, it usually is not secure.

My choice was the Verizon service using their USB727. The USB727 has an external antenna connector that allows be to use either an amplifier or a larger yagi antenna for more reliable connections when I am out in the sticks.

Much easier that Hughes satellite setup, more secure that free offerings on WiFi (802.11).

And, it works great while driving down the road in the motorhome.

Wife and I are thinking along those lines. Thing is, as amateur astronomers, we tend to also camp in places where standard cell service is fleeting at best and sometimes, like in central Texas, non-existent. We can go back and forth about do you need internet when we are out there anyway, but sometimes we do (lol). I haven't taken the plunge yet for satellite internet and likely won't in the near future but if cell service keeps expanding, I agree it would be easier to go that route.

Cheers,

David
Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 PM

I have a verizon wireless card and it runs me $50 a month. havent had any trouble getting connectings here in Michigan, lets see what happens when I move to southern Texas this summer.